PDA

View Full Version : FAA commercial to HK ATP

mpflis
25th Mar 2006, 19:38
I was hoping someone could give me some insight on the process of acquiring a HK ATP. Currently I have a FAA commercial license and have a class date in Adelaide. The employment letter that has been mailed to me states that employment is offered on the condition that I agree, "should I be issued a Hong Kong Commercial Pilots License, to OBTAIN a HK ATP license once elegible. I am curious if this is part of a course that I will undertake, or if I will be required to acquire this on my own dollar? Would it be easier to take an ATP practical test here in the states prior to my course date and then convert it directly (it would run me about $1500 US), or is it something that will be provided by CX? I am also wondering about the medical certificate - and whether I should renew my first class medical here in the states, or if I will undergo another medical examination prior to the start of training? I would appreciate anyone who might have some specific examples or experience to the above.

psy clops
25th Mar 2006, 22:59
am curious if this is part of a course that I will undertakeBefore you go to ADL, CX will contact you to update your licence details. This stuff will be sent to HK CAD will make up their minds as to what exams you'll have to sit in order to transfer your licence. Note that this appears to be somewhat random - you might end up with loads of exams to do.

Part of the course at ADL is groundschool in prep for your CAD exams. Actually you will do groundschool for ALL of the CAD exams - even if you have exemptions. Once you have finished the finess course you will spend the first 2 weeks or so in HK sitting the necessary exams. No charge to you.

Would it be easier to take an ATP practical test here in the states prior to my course date and then convert it directly Don't bother.

am also wondering about the medical certificate - and whether I should renew my first class medical here in the statesI seem to remember that you have to have 6 months to run on your medical and IR before you arrive at ADL, but I might be mistaken on that.

Hope that helps.

mpflis
25th Mar 2006, 23:33
so I will sit the exams and convert my commercial license; however, how will I acquire a HK ATP. In the states I only need to take the practical test. Is there a practical test that is performed in ADL, or part of Cathay's training, or is it just a written test that will upgrade my license? Thanks for the help

notanotherfivehourstogo
26th Mar 2006, 01:42
Do your practical ATPL before you come. You will have to do it at some stage. Best to do it now whilst you know the area you are operating in and are living in, otherwise you will have to take leave (holidays) to do it (and who wants to do that) they can change the rules and requirements here very quick, so best to have the highest rating possible before you come to transfer to a HKG licence.