PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed!!!

Sean H
25th Mar 2006, 16:07
Hi to all!
Im 17,and Hopefully in 2007 I will get into the Irish air corps!
Can anyone here give me interview advice etc?
They take on about 6 pilot cadets each year and about 2-300 people apply for one of those 6 cadetships. What do I need that will give me that something that will get me one of those 6 places for a pilot cadetship with the Irish air corps???
Thanks for the replys,
Sean. :ok:

airborne_artist
25th Mar 2006, 20:17
Sean H - I think many of us would like to help, but we've no knowledge of the Irish system. That said, they will be looking for much the same attributes as any other air force, so read through the advice given to Royal Navy and RAF wannabes on PPrune, as 99% will apply. You need to be looking at your leadership skills, communication skills, problem solving skills (including mental maths) and your knowledge of world affairs and defence matters. Most armed services rate sporting ability/effort highly, and you will be expected to be fit.

mutleyfour
25th Mar 2006, 22:43
Sean

I found that during my selection that honesty was the best policy during the interviews, however daft your answers might be.

Training Risky
25th Mar 2006, 23:43
Good luck during flying training!

I have heard that the Irish Air Corps uses weird runways that are only 30 ft long....and 7500 ft wide!

Sean H
26th Mar 2006, 01:46
No,that is not true-they have proper runways!
This there fleet.
4xEC-135/4XAB139/4XA111/1XL45/2XCASA/4XC172/8XPC-PM/1XKINGAIR/1XBRITEN NORMAN ISLANDER/1XG 5.

Bruiser Loose
26th Mar 2006, 02:54
Sean, my dear fellow. I think you may have missed the Irish joke there!

Have you thought about joining the UK forces, ie FAA, RAF and AAC? There are a few Irish guys that I know who fly for QE2 and seem to enjoy it very much. There are a lot more places available as well.

There are a few things that you have to accept, i.e. applying for UK nationality, learning the 'Sash my father wore' etc.

Oh, and you'll have to get used to being called Paddy, because Sean isn't Irish enough.

Did you hear about the Irish pilot who was flying single handed across the Atlantic? He got exactly halfway across and decided that he didn't have enough fuel, so he turned back. (BTW, it was a still wind day, for all you pedants out there!).

Good Luck

Bruiser Loose
26th Mar 2006, 03:11
Sean, my dear fellow. I think you may have missed the Irish joke there!

Have you thought about joining the UK forces, ie FAA, RAF and AAC? There are a few Irish guys that I know who fly for QE2 and seem to enjoy it very much. There are a lot more places available as well.

There are a few things that you have to accept, i.e. applying for UK nationality, learning the 'Sash my father wore' etc.

Oh, and you'll have to get used to being called Paddy, because Sean isn't Irish enough.

Did you hear about the Irish pilot who was flying single handed across the Atlantic? He got exactly halfway across and decided that he didn't have enough fuel, so he turned back. (BTW, it was a still wind day, for all you pedants out there!).

Good Luck

southside
26th Mar 2006, 13:28
Hey Sean....forget about that lot....join the finest band of aviation brothers the world has ever seen......

hobie
26th Mar 2006, 14:15
If a small country like Ireland really wants an Airforce why not set up a really smart C130 type Fleet (it could be used as a major part of Irelands contribution to their U.N. work and of course Fishery protection) ..... a top of the Range SAR setup ..... and I suppose a couple of Exec's to ferry the 'Quare Fella' around ....:confused: