PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building Costs.

MBA747
25th Mar 2006, 14:56
How is it that one can hire a Duchess for about AUS$100 an hour in the US to build hours, but it costs nearly twice as much here.

If a Seminole or Duchess operator can quote me for 50 hours flying could you please PM me.

hair of the dogma
26th Mar 2006, 02:13
I am hearing this right? You are going to hire some shi**y twin for 50 hrs and mozy around in it to build your hours.

If you have MECIR and cant get twin job how is this going to help you? So you will have 90 hrs of twin time instead of 50. WOW. And it only cost you 10 grand.

If people would stop doing this then maybe every single twin operator would stop demanding 100 hrs twin time to start.

I had a parachute operator tell me to do exactly what you are doing and maybe he would give me a spot on the list to fly his nav. When I explained I had 500hrs on a C208 and was not fresh CPL he was not interested. But I didn't go and hire a twin for 50hrs thats for sure.

My advice is save your money for something a little more productive. Your parents worked too hard for it.

boeingwest
26th Mar 2006, 02:58
but it costs nearly twice as much here.

HAHA So your saying a seminole or duchess will cost you $200 solo rate here in oz?? :} HAHA In your bra mate! :{

BF

MBA747
26th Mar 2006, 03:40
http://www.flyaviator.com/training/100multi.html?

Look at the cost of hiring a Duchess here.

Its for my daughter, she's 22, BSc with a major in Physics, Frozen ATPL, MECIR and a Grade2 Instructor Rating. The 50 hours will allow her to get her twin training approval.

SCruiser
26th Mar 2006, 09:13
Some places in the states have two pilots building hours at the same time. One is flying under the hood, one is looking out. Under this arrangement both can log under the FAA regs.
In reality you are only flying for 50% hours in command.
The thread below has some posts on this..
Pprune Thread.. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214841&highlight=ariben+log)

sillograph
27th Mar 2006, 03:30
yeah, all you need is a tick in the box and you are qualified to train the future charter pilots etc.

Wouldn't it be nice to get training from people that had been out there and cut the mustard.

BoundaryLayer
27th Mar 2006, 04:10
MBA747 check your PMs.

turbantime
27th Mar 2006, 10:11
yeah, all you need is a tick in the box and you are qualified to train the future charter pilots etc.

Enlighten us sillograph, have you ever instructed? Tell us how franging around in the bush means you can train a student to carry out asymmetric prcoedures now will you.

By the time an instructor gets to Grade 2/1 status, they are going to be pretty competent. Most of all by the time they do the training to get the twin training approval and do the flight test they are going to be better than your average twin driver out there in handling a real emergency.

I remember a situation where one of you "glorious" charter pilots were dogging on instructing and especially twin instructors. I asked this person some simple questions apart from the usual phase 1 drills/initial actions and he couldn't answer a single one. In fact if memory serves me right, he didn't know why some aircraft have a seperate IFR MTOW to VFR MTOW.

I am not at all saying that everyone is like that (hey, I'm a charter pilot now too) but you blokes really shouldn't go around talking about something you have never done.

Anyhow, back to the topic....twin hire is at least three times the price here...simply read all the other threads on aviation costs and you'll see why.

I'd imagine quite a few guys/gals (not only instructors) would love to get some of that action.

I paid for about 15hrs of my twin time to get the 50 multi PIC and then my career really did take-off (excuse the pun).....otherwise I'd probably still be dealing with people like sillograph who insist that I'd have to learn to fly again as charter is so much more demanding than instructing. :yuk: