PDA

View Full Version : RULE BY FEAR

ALPHA FLOOR
25th Mar 2006, 02:52
:eek: To quote Mr. Chen in Friday Telex 24/03/06...... "We all remember how business suffered during SARS, with more cabin crew than passengers on flights and one-third of our fleet on the ground. The impact from that crisis was obvious to everyone. Today, fuel costs are hurting us MORE."........ end quote.

DO WE EVEN WORK FOR THE SAME COMPANY?

LAST MONTH WE ANNOUNCED HK$3.298B PROFIT, Some HK$1.2Mil per day - I dont think we made that through SARS even although 2003 turned out to be a great one when the wheels started turning again in the second half of 03 and exceeded 05 profit?

Cry wolf once to often and nobody will take any notice! Do they make these statements to manipulate the CX share price or could it be an attempt at convincing us that they are justified in not paying out profit share? On a recent flight I was talking to the SP who was convinced the company will be closing down and had no more money - think she read one to many "Friday Telex's"

Remember the end quote of Farenheit 9/11 "fool me once shame on me......."

Mr. Bloggs
25th Mar 2006, 03:33
The Friday telex is CX’s propaganda machine. It was the DFO’s telex when times were trying although he adds a comment to set the seed now and then.

BTW, does Phillip mention his bonus?

Yes, I have heard CX showed interest at shutting down the airline in case of a SARS type bird flu. I guess the seed is set, all it has to do is grow.

“Rule by Fear” how long have you been around?

Truth Seekers Int'nl
25th Mar 2006, 08:47
............hey alpha floor.........it's "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." :mad:

petitfromage
25th Mar 2006, 08:53
1. Every Friday telex is the same! (Its meant to keep the troops "motivated" [aka a bit nervous]).

It opens with a good paragraph, adds 2 negative paragraphs, then as positive.....The only variable is the 1st paragraph. If "the sky is falling" the 1st paragraph maybe negative. I havent paid enough attention but I wouldnt be surprised if it was always the '2nd Friday after Annual Results.'

2. The Senior CC are treading cautiously because 'someone' started the rumour that there was no Profit Share because 'all the money' was required to backpay the CC after their court case.
Remember the letter from Pers? "We will recover the costs of the legal action....yadda, yadda"

3. Another good text for leadership/management Hitlers book, 'Mein Kampf". Although Im sure PC isnt deliberately using this 'technique', I am sure you can see the effects it is having upon the groundstaff?
They do think the sky is falling.

"The Big Lie"

Hitler believed in telling a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe he "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously".

His techniques?
Never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

Direct translation from Mein Kampf:
"In the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation."

Caveat: Im in no way implying that the Friday Telex is related in anyway to Mein Kampf! Nor am I comparing Hitlers 'big lie' to the current cost of Jet A1! I am simply highlighting that 'leadership' and 'management' use some of the same techniques the world over, irrespective of the size of the issues at hand. You might therefore summarise the Friday Telex as "Informative Propaganda"?..

*Sp error (their/there) in the title. I cant edit it.

Mien Kampf translation from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Lie

Team America
25th Mar 2006, 09:33
Hey Truth Seeker, I think he (alpha floor) was refering to George W's attempt at using that quote, that is as far as good old George W got with it :)

petitfromage
25th Mar 2006, 09:37
In fairness, its worth adding that the techniques remain valid and I dont begrudge our Management for using them.
They work well on less 'saavy' workers and may also be significantly more effective in cultures where the structure of elders, leaders & hierarchy are seldom questioned?

But week after week, same old patter, same old cadence, same old song & dance.........it does somewhat reduce the effectiveness of the message dont you think?

Alpha Floor,
The best idea is to cut straight to the Flight Ops page. The summaries there have the same info, theres far less cloak & dagger, smokescreen & mirrors and they are injected with personality, humour the bit of blasphemy for good measure!

Hang your head in shame for rising to the bait! :}

TSI: Heres the GWB quote/video: http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/multimedia/foolbush.mov

ALPHA FLOOR
25th Mar 2006, 12:50
I have no shame for raising this thread. I am tierd of the constant fear mongering. I do my best to save money for this establishment and I DO remember what it was like during SARS and this does not compair.

Proudly ALPHA FLOOR.