PDA

View Full Version : Two seat spitfire?

whatdoesthisbuttondo
24th Mar 2006, 10:12
I know that there are three of these in the U.K. (converted MK9s I think). Does any one know if they have dual controlls? Where are they based?
Cheers.

treadigraph
24th Mar 2006, 10:25
There are four and they are all dual control I believe.

Two at Duxford, one in Lincolnshire (where the other Lancaster is I think (East Kirby?) and one at a strip in North Wales.

wub
24th Mar 2006, 10:32
Here are the details of the Welsh one:
http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/spitfiremk2a/my-history-pt462.html

whatdoesthisbuttondo
24th Mar 2006, 10:38
cheers guys, this bloke on another forum was saying he 'flew one', I was just trying to find out how one would go about such a thing.

Fifty North
24th Mar 2006, 17:13
cheers guys, this bloke on another forum was saying he 'flew one', I was just trying to find out how one would go about such a thing.

I understand that it is possible to have a flight in the Grace Spitfire at Duxford but apparently it costs somewhere in the region of 2,000 quid for a 20 minute flight!

AerBabe
24th Mar 2006, 19:52
And there's a lengthy waiting list! (In the years, rather than months...)

con-pilot
24th Mar 2006, 21:27
There is one based in Aspen Colorado (KASE), last I heard the owner was looking for a partner. It was available for rides in the summer.

It has dual controls.

treadigraph
24th Mar 2006, 22:00
For the one in Colorado, Google the name Bill Greenwood. Nice bloke, by all accounts...

ContinentalC85
13th Apr 2006, 12:41
I had the great fortune of flying Caroline Grace's 2 seat Spit OUV back in 1988 out of Goodwood. There were a group of about 6 of us . Nick Grace was there ( a couple of weekend before he was killed in a car crash ) and Pete Kinsey.
We paid £350 for 20 mins . I flew with Pete whom I was slightly aquainted with from the Tiger Club , and he gave me just a shade under 30 mins ! (oooh)
If I never do it again , I will always remember that flight . Pete let me have control soon after t/off and the gear was up and we were trimmed out. We had a few mintes pole-ing around the hills around Chicester ( 500ft rule of course ) then climed up over the sea a did a few aeros.
After a demo of each I was allowed to do a couple of loops , couple of barrel rolls.Pete then finished with a LARGE half cuban , rolling out , and I remember looking at the panel and seeing 300kts on the clock and 30 ( thirty ) feet on the altimeter . The noise , the smell .everything Absolutely wonderful !!

ContinentalC85
13th Apr 2006, 12:48
By the way , we were over Chicester Harbour when we were at 30ft !
Now you've got me going , I also had a flight in the B17 Sally B back in the early 80's I think it was ( Don Bullock was flying - remember him put a B26 in at Biggin a little later on ) . You should have seen him chuck that thing around ..... !

treadigraph
13th Apr 2006, 14:44
Cor, you had some nice flights then C85. Don Bullock's demise was at Biggin in September 1980, so your trip in Sally B must have been before that. The A-26 arrived in 1978...

Cheers

Treadders

RabbitLeader
16th Apr 2006, 13:46
There's a fifth two-seat Spitfire being restored in the UK, but it's not one of the original order that was rebuilt after the war.
http://pacificcoast.net/~zoman/sm520.html