PDA

View Full Version : Initial RAF Pilot Application Stages

aviat179
24th Mar 2006, 09:20
Hi Everyone,

I've just sent my application off to the Brighton AFCO, my first and second choices are for applications as a Pilot and Weapons Systems Officer, respectively.

As far as I'm aware the next stage is a presentation and then filter interview for OASC. My first question is, to anyone's knowledge, is their an assessment edge to the presentation? i.e. do I need to dress smartly/create the right impression.

Secondly, any tips for the filter interview stage, what do I need to be clued up on and how should I come across?

I fully understand the huge oversubscription of applications for the position as a Pilot.

Any views or comments are appreciated. For some background info, I'm 17 and due to finish the Sixth Form in June.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Danny_Boy
24th Mar 2006, 09:25
do I need to dress smartly/create the right impression.

Is that a joke question? Whilst, as far as I am aware, there is no asessment edge to the presentation, surely for personal pride you would want to turn up there in at least a collar and tie?

airborne_artist
24th Mar 2006, 09:35
Option 1: to ensure that they recognise you as hip, cool and all that, wear a hoodie (hood up), your baggiest jeans and a grungy haircut, ensure chin etc. covered with week-old stubble. Pop some D+B on your iPod and keep it on through the presentation. Party til 0300, and arrive 3 mins after the time given.

Option 2: get a good hair cut, polish your shoes, iron and press your clothes and choose a smart tie. Get a good night's sleep beforehand, and arrive ten minutes early. Have some questions prepared that show you have done some research, read the handouts, read the relevant websites and retained at least some of it etc.

aviat179
24th Mar 2006, 17:55
Replies appreciated. Any tips for the interview? Is there anything the interviewer looks for especially - is there a magic word/phrase!?

Thanks again.

cazatou
24th Mar 2006, 18:34
Buy the Times or Daily Telegraph (and read it cover to cover) each day for at least a month before your interview was the advice I got 40 Years (+) ago. It worked!!

I suppose these days you might have to include the Guardian & the Independent.

Do not bother with the "S" papers (Sun, Star, Sport).

GOOD LUCK

Sven Sixtoo
24th Mar 2006, 20:49
Cazatou's advice re current affairs remains relevant.
Add in Flight International and Aviation leak and you will be well up.
Express your opinion (your own, not what you think they want) and be prepared to defend it.
They are looking for someone who can think for themselves, argue their point without being obnoxious and recognise when they have lost. They are not too bothered about what your opinion actually is - if you were of a politically undesirable persuasion you would not have cut out the coupon in the first place.
And, at 17 and a bit, without prejudice the odds are that you will fail. Don't be downhearted, they will be delighted to see you back in a couple of years with some serious growing up done.
OTH, if you succeed at this point, you will be front line at 20, formn leader at 22, QWI at 24, promoted at 27, Sqn Cdr at 31, Staff college at 34, Staish at 37, * at 40, ** at 41, *** at 45 ...
Sir!
Sven

If you want to discuss privately, PM me. Still in, still a Flt Lt pilot after 29 yrs.

ratty1
24th Mar 2006, 22:39
Still in, still a Flt Lt pilot after 29 yrs.

I take it you didnt join at 17 and a bit then.

Melchett01
24th Mar 2006, 23:02
Given the numbers of people applying compared to the number of slots available, every stage until you graduate IOT is an assessment stage.

Assume that you are being watched and assessed at every stage. I applied through the SCLO at uni, but I still went to all the AFCO briefings and did the whole jacket and tie job on the assumption that any paperwork with my name on it would end up at the same place.....OASC

Keep up to date with current affairs and military issues in general. Good things to get your head into include:

Quality newspapers
Guardian / Observer
Economist
Time
Newsweek
BBC website
Reuters website
CNN

Good bits to concentrate on are the front page articles, international pages and the editorials which give opinions and points of view on various issues. Regardless of what the headlines say, the boards will be interested in what you think ....... we have enough 'Yes Men' in the RAF, we don't need anymore.

As for the dress issue, shirt and tie every time. At my OASC board back in the distant past, one guy pitched up in black trainers and leather jacket. Didn't see him again after 4pm on the first day. Assume every stage is a job interview and you wont go far wrong.

Finally, don't worry too much. Officers (and SNCO aircrew) aren't superheros and the boards are all human. They will know you are nervous and take account. Prepare in advance, otherwise expect to fail; importantly, be yourself - the selection boards have highly tuned crap detectors- they want to see the real you, not what you think they want to see. Most of all, relax and enjoy it, you'll do so much better ....... took me several years and 2 attempts to work that one out!

Good luck!!

aviat179
25th Mar 2006, 17:17
Thank you to everyone for your very helpful replies.

Would greatly appreciate any selection/training experiences from ex-serving or serving officers.

scottyhs
26th Mar 2006, 13:07
When i want for mine, i had my suit on, every bit of paperwork they had sent me and a pad a pen ready (all in balk folder) to take notes with. They ask questions in the presentation and you should know some of the answers.

When i was there one lad took his mum, who decided to speak for him during the whole presentation.....needless to say i dont think he got in!

6foottanker
26th Mar 2006, 20:11
The first question was always ' How old are you in years and months?'

Takes a bit of working out even when you're not sat in an interview!
(Especially for the likes of Beags!):}

scottyhs
26th Mar 2006, 20:17
Funny you should bring that up,

I wasnt asked it at filter but i was advised of it before cranwell and it was the first question i got asked when i walked through the door. Wasn't too hard because my interview was on the 8th and my birthday is the 8th of a month so worked out nice and easy lol!