PDA

View Full Version : AESA Radar for GR4

ORAC
24th Mar 2006, 06:22
AESA Radar to Be Trialed on UK's GR4 Tornados By 2007 (http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2006/03/aesa-radar-to-be-trialed-on-uks-gr4-tornados-by-2007/index.php)

.....QinetiQ, BAE & SELEX are partnered on ARTS to make AESA and SAR work on GR4s in NCW. SANS & Air EW IPT placed this TREV contract on behalf of MoD's RAO, as part of DPA's FBG Output 6. DLO's Tornado IPT and DSTL will also assist, and ARTS will run in parallel with AMSAR to raise SRLs.

All clear? :}

Kitbag
24th Mar 2006, 09:16
Arrogant tosh from the Typhoon thread:

'PS. If you don't understand the abbreviations, then you don't deserve an opinion.'

I don't have a scooby what all the above means, but then does anybody else not involved in the project? and would they (could they?) enlighten us mere mortals? :hmm:

'Course if I'd checked out the link first all would be made clear.

edited to add last sentence, at least I know what all the acronyms equate to, even if I don't know what they actually mean!

ORAC
24th Mar 2006, 09:21
errr, its all explained in the article, if you click on the link... :rolleyes:

tucumseh
24th Mar 2006, 15:39
Hopefully it will be properly integrated, unlike;

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=130363&highlight=tornado+patriot

maxburner
24th Mar 2006, 16:11
BAE as was, SELEX now, have also had success selling AESA radar in the US. The coastguard are buying a UK radar for their C130 fleet. It's quite a coup.

Jackonicko
24th Mar 2006, 18:58
AESA Radar to Be Trialed on UK's GR4 Tornados By 2007

.....QinetiQ, BAE & SELEX are partnered on ARTS to make AESA and SAR work on GR4s in NCW. SANS & Air EW IPT placed this TREV contract on behalf of MoD's RAO, as part of DPA's FBG Output 6. DLO's Tornado IPT and DSTL will also assist, and ARTS will run in parallel with AMSAR to raise SRLs.

AESA Active Electronically Scanned Array
AMSAR Airborne Multi-mode Solid-state Airborne Radar
ARTS Advanced Radar Targeting System (QinetiQ project)
ATR Automatic Target Recognition
BAE British Aerospace Systems
DLO Defence Logistics Organisation
DPA Defence Procurement Agency
DSTL Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
FBG Future Business Group (part of DPA)
GR4 Ground Attack/Reconnaissance Mk 4 (Tornado)
IPT Integrated Project Team
MoD Ministry of Defence
NCW ???
QinetiQ Meaningless toss non acronym name for DERA as was
RAO Research Acquisition Organisation
SANS & Air EW IPT Sensors, Avionics, Navigation and Air Electronic Warfare Integrated Project Team
SAR Synthetic Aperture Radar
SELEX See QinetiQ above
SRL System Readiness Levels
TREV Tornado Research Exploitation Vehicle Concept

Ivan Rogov
24th Mar 2006, 19:45
NCW.................
Is it Network Centric Warfare? We don't quite understand it but we want it, oh and of course it will be late/out of date/over budget/over complicated etc.

L J R
24th Mar 2006, 20:06
No matter how good your radar is, if your primary weapon guidance sensor (TIALD) and the TV TAB that you view it on are a dinosaur of the '70s then you will never get into the big boys league of PGM in the 21st century!

Radar Schmmmadarrr.... Get a system that can 1: Generate a tgt location (laser + IR/Vis sensor - or whatever)....and/or 2: Deliver weapon OR provide GPS Lat/Long for one wot can!.

...and lastly get a system that can deliver a weapon SIMPLY!!!! (as per the rest of the world!).

maxburner
25th Mar 2006, 06:30
LJR

I think you'll find that ARTS - the Targetting bit is important here - may well deliver exactly what you are looking for. A decent SAR picture is almost like looking at a photograph. Don't knock it until you've seen it. I think you'll be impressed.