View Full Version : JAA Cross Country

Xisco
24th Mar 2006, 06:10
I would like to know the definition for "cross country" according to JAA

Thanks and happy landings

Flying Farmer
24th Mar 2006, 07:20
Leaving the circuit.
Personally I would not log a x country unless I was flying to a predetermined turning point or doing a land away.

Mark 1
24th Mar 2006, 12:23
Out of curiosity, I searched JAR-1, JAR FCL-1 and EAS definitions and abbreviations documents; all with no success.

Can only offer the ANO definition:
‘Cross-country flight’ means any flight during the course of which the aircraft is more than
3 nautical miles from the aerodrome of departure.

Maybe I've missed something, as the term cross-country is used liberally in JAR-FCL

Superpilot
24th Mar 2006, 19:52
Please don't quote me, but I've heard from a number of different (unrelated) people that it is 20nm.

Confabulous
24th Mar 2006, 23:20
JAA XC is almost literally 'out of the circuit', but the FAA definition is 50 miles - definitely more sensible IMO

BillieBob
24th Mar 2006, 23:34
Bear in mind that JAR stands for Joint Aviation Requirements, whereas the ANO is a Statutory Instrument and, therefore, the law of the land. If the ANO says that a cross country is any flight during the course of which the aircraft is more than 3 miles from the airfield then that is the law - the 'requirements' of JAR-FCL are, in UK airspace, completely irrelevant.

Whopity
25th Mar 2006, 19:24
The ANO Article 155 Interpretation, begins "In this Order" therefore the interpretation relates to the word or phrase as it is stated in the Order. In this case it refers to the privileges of an AFI or FI(R) in that they may not authoise a first solo cross-country flight by day or night. In other words, a flight that leaves the airfield by more than 3 miles.

JAR FCL does not define Cross-Country Flight; suffice it to say cross-country means exactly what it says; a fligh accross country. This is generally accepted for licensing purposes as any flight from one place to another, or a flight around a route where there are planned turning points.

IO540
25th Mar 2006, 19:42
The FAA X/C can be 50nm 100nm 150nm or 250nm depending what you are doing :O

172driver
26th Mar 2006, 21:24
The FAA X/C can be 50nm 100nm 150nm or 250nm depending what you are doing :O

... but the definition of a X-country is 'more than 50 NM in a straight line' In other words, you can only log an FAA X-country if you land at an airport more than 50 NM (as measured on a map) from where you took off. Going round in circles for an hour doesn't count :E

Mark 1
27th Mar 2006, 10:53
This has gone off-topic, as the original question related to the JAA definition of cross-country flight.

As far as I know, this only relates to the experience and training requirements for the issue of licenses and ratings.

JAR-1 "Definitions and Abbreviations" doesn't define the term, so it seems to me that its down to the AMC documents to qualify what is meant.

AMCs are not published on line and are quite expensive; mainly the preserve of FTOs.

The FAA and the ANO definitions then are irrelevant in this case.
The training exercises specified in approved syllabi, such as the AOPA PPL syllabus, have obviously been judged to conform with AMCs.
This seems to fit in with what Whopity describes i.e.
any flight from one place to another, or a flight around a route where there are planned turning points"

Perhaps if we knew what was behind your question Xisco........

Whopity
27th Mar 2006, 17:10
AMCs (Acceptable Means of Compliance) don't contain rules or definitions. They only indicate an acceptable way of complying with requirements listed JAR-FCL Section 1.

If in doubt with definitions go back to the real source document ICAO Annex 1. That doesn't define Cross-Country either.

Xisco
28th Mar 2006, 23:51
I have a JAA Logbook where there is NO column on the main pages to log XC, but, when you move to Yearly Summaries, it appears suddenly.

My concern was to clarify this issue before sending my C.V.

Thanks to everybody.:D

combineharvester
29th Mar 2006, 06:12
‘Cross-country flight’ means any flight during the course of which the aircraft is more than
3 nautical miles from the aerodrome of departure.

Some peoples badly flown cicuits fall into that category....

Whirlybird
29th Mar 2006, 06:56
Xisco,
I've always understood it to be 3nm, as many have stated. This may be the reason that no-one in the UK ever asks you how many cross country hours you've got, as it's a bit meaningless. I personally don't put it on my CV. But if you're the other side of the pond, it's a different matter, and they always include it on CVs.

englishal
29th Mar 2006, 08:07
I only log flights > 50nm (in a straight line from A to B) as cross country. Otherwise every single flight I do is cross country.

Mark 1
29th Mar 2006, 08:19
There is no requirement to record X-C time in your log book.

The only benefit of so-doing is to demonstrate compliance with a JAA training or experience requirement.
The only case where it would likely be very useful, is to demonstrate the 200 hours of X-C required before ATPL issue, or the 20? required for CPL.

It's basically up to you to decide what (if anything) to record in that column.