PDA

View Full Version : uk microlight

tangovictor
24th Mar 2006, 00:21
The pfa publish a 6 page list of UK authorised homebuild aircraft, some of which are microlights, What I'd be interested in finding out, is, whats the authorised READY TO FLY microlights ( 3 axis ) fixed wing ? that may be flown with a NPPL licence, & would a home build say a ban-bi or any under 450kg airplane which has been assembled and flown, be ok to buy 2nd hand
and flown on a NPPL ?
any info greatly appreciated

Genghis the Engineer
24th Mar 2006, 07:11
Online list, including links to type data sheets (http://www.bmaa.org/techdocs.asp?DocumentTypeID=6&DocumentType=Type+Approval+Data+Sheets+%28TADS%29). (Although that's all types that have ever been available ready-to-fly, not just those currently for sale. For that list, you need the buyers guide in a current copy of Microlight Flying, although looking at the list data sheets BM50+ (but not BM55) are I think still available.)

Isn't the interweb a wonderful thing!

Answering the second question, any aeroplane whose permit calls it a microlight can be bought second hand (subject to all of the obvious cautions about buying a second hand aeroplane, about which there are many searchable threads on here) and flown on an NPPL(M) or on an NPPL(SEP) with a short conversion course. To check what is, or isn't a microlight look on G-INFO (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=60&pagetype=65&applicationid=1).

But, don't assume because it is below 450kg that it's a microlight, that may not necessarily be the case, the microlight definition is a bit more complex than that.

G

tonyhalsall
24th Mar 2006, 09:25
I think you will find that currently 'most' homebuilt 3 axis (conventional aeroplane controls) come under the PFA and most factory built models come under the BMAA though I think this is about to change as both organisations seemed in favour of going head to head to compete for this business.

There is a great article in this months LOOP, comparing three great Ready To Fly microlights - Jabiru Calypso, Eurostar and Ikarus.

As far as I know you can fly any microlight on an NPPL microlight license or on an NPPL with the appropriate microlight rating - new, or second hand

tangovictor
24th Mar 2006, 14:42
thank you for the replies, I note the list is dated 2003, so the Jabiru etc etc are'nt listed, all very confusing, its no wonder the CAA, passed on it
I'm still at loss what to do.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Mar 2006, 17:03
I'm still at loss what to do.

What is the exact decision that you're trying to make?

G