PDA

View Full Version : Jet Lag, Anyone?

wr1000
23rd Mar 2006, 15:15
I am a psychology graduate student at Walden University who is writing my thesis on various aspects of jet lag. I have worked in military and commercial aviation in several capacities, and this is where I draw most of my theory from. I do not have much experience with trips across several timezones, though, and so I am looking for some input from those who do.

If you are interested in talking about jet lag, just to help me understand the effects a little more, please post here or write me at [email protected]. I will not be putting anything you say directly into my paper, as it is purely based on academic journal articles and research from actual testing. What I will be doing is using what I learn to expand the depth and scope of my research. So far, I am looking at time zone transitions, alertness, mood, mealtimes, circadian rhythms, and melatonin use as material to research further.

Bill

Genghis the Engineer
24th Mar 2006, 10:44
If it interests you, I have a hobby interest in some aspects of traditional oriental medicine. I have details of a shiatsu (pressure point) treatment that is supposed to reset the body clock and prevent jetlag (just leaving you tired instead). I've not tried it myself, since my own body clock is sufficiently flexible I don't feel the need, but it might be something to add into your mix. Send me an Email if you wish and I'll dig it out.

G

Hawk
25th Mar 2006, 08:52
WR1000..a very legitimate and relevant piece of research.

You do not state your hypothesis nevertheless, the Site would appreciate your acknowledegment of our data base and the results of your scientific research.

wr1000
28th Mar 2006, 02:43
Genghis the Engineer: Thanks for the post...I will be in touch - I would like to know more about these treatments.

Hawk: Thank you. I am glad that a resource like PPRuNe exists, and I will be sure to provide proper credits.

To those who responded to my email: Thank you. I am responding to your emails as quickly as my schedule allows me to. I am in the process (over the next few months) of putting together a brief survey that will be posted on a secure web site. I will send you an email with the link, and I would really like if you would complete it.

KingAir77
29th Mar 2006, 05:43
WR100, there is an other aspect of long range flying that falls into our perception of jet lag as well. I fly widebody cargo planes worldwide, and with the kind of condensed rosters we get, you do not really experience the time zones as such but rather something that a shift worker would experience when going from day to night shift.

Let me clarify in an example: You leave Germany in the afternoon for a trip to the US east coast, after you had about a week rest at home in Europe. You get to the hotel in the US in the European late evening time, tired and ready to sleep. This is US afternoon/early evening. Now your return flight to Europe will leave the next day in the late evening (Europe Time),so classical jet lag does not really apply here, since you do not adapt to the new time zone at all. You will eventually spend a night flying (according to your body), and feel accordingly. You usually have several of these short trips in a row, with layovers so short that you do not care about the destination time zone, but rather about your new departure time in order to plan your sleep. Hope I sound more or less comprehensive on this ...

And circardian rythm definetly can be felt on these trips as well, no matter how well you slept just beforeleaving, no matter if its daylight or dark outside (though darkness makes it worse), I will always fight sleep in the early morning hour of my home time zone. Hope this is a bit helpfull, and good luck for your project!