PDA

View Full Version : Dont spill the mercury

Fuji Abound
23rd Mar 2006, 13:25
I was interested in an incident in this quarters reports.

The King Air was found to have a broken mercury thermometer beneath the floor. A great deal of effort seemed to have been spent removing all traces of mercury - cutting the panel away and then x-ray examination of the area to check for any remaining contamination.

With a degree in chemistry I know mercury is not pleasant - but why so much effort. Was the concern enviromental safety (for those in the plane) or air frame safe and if so why?

EGBKFLYER
23rd Mar 2006, 13:29
Nope - Hg and Al do not mix well ...

Mercury readily combines with aluminium to form an amalgam when the two pure metals come into contact. However, when the amalgam is exposed to air, the aluminium oxidizes, leaving behind mercury. The oxide flakes away, exposing more mercury amalgam, which repeats the process. This process continues until the supply of amalgam is exhausted, and since it releases mercury, a small amount of mercury can “eat through” a large amount of aluminium over time, by progressively forming amalgam and relinquishing the aluminium as oxide.

King Airs are made of aluminium - need I say more:eek: :eek: :eek:

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Mar 2006, 14:46
There have been numerous occasions of a/c being scrapped after mercury spillage. It certainly is something that's mentioned over and over again on dangerous goods courses.

justinmg
23rd Mar 2006, 17:00
Inhalation of tiny amounts of elemental mercury can result in death (ingestion is much safer). That is why mercury is no longer used in thermometers.