PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Norway

Seagull61
23rd Mar 2006, 11:35
Hi,

I am a UK citizen, now leaving in Norway. I started my PPL a few months ago (onyl clocking up a few hours), and want to continue to study for it, while leaving here for the next two years or so. However, as suspected this is not that straightforward, having contacted both the Norwegian CAA and the UK CAA, it seems that i must complete the exams in Norwegian - currently this extends to about 3 or 4 words!!! I have made a formal approach to the Norwegain CAA to do the practical course in Norway and the exams in the UK, but they are not too keen. They maybe translating the exams for me - but i`m not counting my chickens yet!

So...

I`m now in the throws of looking to do a PPL course eslewhere, namely South Africa - just checking the Norwegian CAA if i can fly on a Non-JAA state license - we`ll see!

Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience??

btw - in Norway you have to sit all exams before going solo!

Cheers

tonyhalsall
23rd Mar 2006, 16:15
Hi Seagull,

You appear to have bumped the thread!!

Nevertheless - I took my PPL in UK in 1987 and had training hours from Fornebu counted. ie flight time in Norweigan aircraft counted towards the qualifying time of my old style UK (CAA) PPL.

Sounds like you just need to reverse what you are doing for an easy life.

BestAviation
26th Mar 2006, 20:57
Alright – three important things I’m sure will make your decision easier.

1)You can sit the exams in English or Norwegian in Norway. Getting textbooks in English though may require you to shop around a bit. I remember my PPL books being in Norwegian (before JAA came) but have heard from ATPL students there that much is done in English now after JAA was introduced.

2)A non-JAA PPL will only do you good for a year – that’s the leeway they give you to convert it into a JAA one.

3)Converting a non-JAA PPL into a JAA one (granted the non-JAA is an ICAO approved one) includes you sitting the same exams you are trying to get away from. Only big difference is the amount of flying you need to do ones back in Norway again.

I got FAA certificates and flew my bit of “leisure” flying on them when I was home. (Doesn’t help if you have an FAA CPL – you only get PPL privileges…)

The way I would approach it is to get on with a flight club in Norway – granted you find a way to learn everything you need by using English study material. Alternatively go to UK and do a full PPL there. Or better yet – find one of the “fast track” UK CAA approved JAA schools in America. There are quite a few of them offering it for cheap money and short time. I would stay away from South Africa.

Why they won’t let you sit the JAA PPL exams in UK and then bring it back to Norway for the flying bit I don’t know. Sounds a bit odd to me, but then again I’m quite clueless how things work when it comes to that…..In any case I can’t see a problem having your hours credited either place you do them. Just make sure you get that clarified before starting anything too serious (ie. Don’t take my word for it).