View Full Version : Agressive tailgater

Miraculix
22nd Mar 2006, 14:28
Had the wierdest experience.

Driving along a pretty congested country road, with absolutely no chance of overtaking, due oncomming traffic and overtaking not allowed, a car behind me, could not have been closer without us trading paint.

I very slowly added some distance to the car in front, so that if I had to brake, the guy behind would have a chance to do the same, without him crashing into me.

After a while we came to a light, where the road became a double road in both directions, he overtook me, but the light was red so he had to stop.

This is were it gets hairy, he stops at the red light, jumps out of his car and walks towards me, with a very agressive look on his face. I do not wan't to get cought in my car, so I jump out (so I can run away, as there is no possibility to back up due cars). But when he sees my jump out, he makes a quick 180 and gets into his car. So I get into my car again, heart pumping, thinking, what the h..l, did I do, to make him this agressive????

I was driving with normal distance, to the car in front, there was absolutely no chance of overtaking.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Devlin Carnet
22nd Mar 2006, 14:40
Yes,
Left motorway went up sliproad, followed car through traffic lights, went round roundabout stopped behind said car at another set of lights on red.
Lights change I follow him off roundabout onto another road, he slows to snail pace so i do same, he continues at snailpace, so I overtake, as I glance over to
see what the problem is, there is much fist, bird, V waving and verbals pointed in my direction.
WTF, what the hell did I do?
I'ts getting worse as well :ugh:

Taildragger55
22nd Mar 2006, 14:41
Yes. Screaming from a tailgater when all I had done was to brake sharply when the guy in front did likewise.
Always carry a complete toolkit in your car, including a large adjustable spanner under the front seat. :E

Whirlygig
22nd Mar 2006, 14:46
The tailgating? Yes, every day in North Norfolk! That is standard driving practice here - I've almost got used to it. For a really good (i.e. bad) tailgater, my trick is to slow down especially when there is traffic coming the other way!

But I did have a similar experience to you except it was dual carriageway with a car behind me pushing me to go faster and faster I refused to play and let him overtake me. He did and then slowed down so that I overtook him. This went on for a few miles until I'd had enough and put my boot down to nearly 100 mph to get rid of him. He kept up, tailgating me the whole time. A single bloke in the car. I slowed down again, he overtook. He slowed down and tucked in between two lorries. I overtook, he tucked in behind me and this time, flashed his blue flashing lights!

I took his registration and made a complaint to Thames Valley Police. Didn't hear anything either way; either about his goading me or my speeding.

I still to this day have no idea what that was about. If he wanted to do me for speeding, he could have done - I nearly topped the ton. If he just wanted to get home, I let him past a number of times.

Cheers

Whirls

PS - this was three years ago now so I doubt whether TVP still have that car as a "plain clothes" traffic car but it was a dark blue Vauxhall Vectra (2.4) reg W259 DWL.

G-CPTN
22nd Mar 2006, 15:01
Coming back from town a week ago, as I approached a roundabout the car beside me shut the door as we caught up with a truck. I followed (not close) and overtook after the roundabout (he'd been following me through the 30 and 40 limits before the roundabout, after the roundabout it's 'National limit' dual carriageway). He tailgated me, then overtook and closed-me down as we caught up with some traffic. After the traffic he sat in front of me and didn't move over to the inside lane. Eventually he relented, and I overtook (still within the speed limit). He sat on my tail. Eventually I thought sod this for a game of soldiers, and put my foot down (it was 9.30 pm and there was little traffic about. At the next junction he appeared to turn off, but then appeared again, closing fast (and I MEAN fast) on my. I slowed down. 'He' tailgated again. Then the blues came on. 89mph. Got a lecture (which I accepted graciously) (no points on my licence for 30 years probably swayed the matter). Plod (nice guy :ok: ) said he'd been on the tail of a Subaru but had got lost off - thought he'd come onto the main road and thought 'I' was his Subaru . . .

Onan the Clumsy
22nd Mar 2006, 15:28
I had a similar experience the other day I was driving along minding my own business, trying to leave proper gaps between me and the car in front, but it was no use, the guy in front looked like he learned to drive in Mombassa and try as I might to drive sensibly, he just got slower and slower, it was really dangerous because the guy behind me was starting to get irate, when finally i was able to get along side him because the road went to two lanes and I was going to just leave the situation behind me when bugger me but I got caught at a red light, well I was sort of lost anyway, so I tried to ask the bloke where this cinema wa cos I was supposed to be meeting a mate of mine, but he couldn;t hear me (the driver, not my mate) so I wound down my window, but he still couldn't hear me and I had to get out and ask him, cos the light was red after all. Well this crazy guy jumps out of his car really aggressive like and I thought he was going to gob me one, you know, the kind where you stay gobbed so I thought F it and just got back in my car. I figured I'd find the cinema on my own anyway.

Bloody dangerous the roads are.

Rainboe
22nd Mar 2006, 16:21
You have to remind yourself that some 10% of the population out there is stark raving certifiable mad. Not only that, but they are dangerous too. That is why people go running up High Streets stabbing people indiscriminately- the 'voices' are telling them to! A Flight Manager at Gatwick 10 years ago was in a queue of traffic in a High Street- Crawley I think- when someone came up to the window- he would the window down to answer whatever their query was, and out of the blue was knocked out with a fist in the face. The guy ran off and got into a car, which was noted by witnesses. He was let off by the Court because 'he couldn't remember the incident, so how could you punish me?' (the air-ragers defence!). Still no idea what the hell it was about.
There are dangerous people out there- don't open the door or window. Keep locked in and leave an escape route open. The nutters are taking over, except they are now violent, and probably been exercising in the gym or prison gym and are now semi- supermen!

djk
22nd Mar 2006, 16:44
I get that sort of situation each morning while driving to work.
There is always an SUV or a pick-up truck driving right up close behind me, in fact so close that you can't even see the car registration plate in the rear view mirror. I make sure that I slow down so I'm just under the speed limit and at a safe distance between myself and the car in front. If they continue to drive that close, I either let them go around me or I tap the brakes just to let them know to back off because if I have to do an emergency stop, they would go right into the back of me.

Why people drive like that or where they learn to drive like that is beyond me.

bar fly
22nd Mar 2006, 17:02
But when he sees my jump out, he makes a quick 180 and gets into his car.

Have you, by any chance, got a skin-head, several tatoos and large muscles? :confused:

West Coast
22nd Mar 2006, 17:08
A twelve guage pointed out the window is a sure cure.

SyllogismCheck
22nd Mar 2006, 17:25
Maybe my driving's a little pacey or something, but I never seem to get tailgated other than occasionally on the motorway when the lorries are performing their two lane rolling road block tactics (overtaking's their excuse for it), forcing all the faster traffic into the outside lane and I'm held up just as much as the guy behind me anyway. Then the twonk doing the tailgating is invariably driving the silliest little gutless Micra or Corsa size non-motorway car, with skinny little tyres that'd give him no chance of outbraking me if I had to stand on them and would probably leave him compressed into the rear seat of his flimsy little car before he'd even compressed half the length of the boot of mine if he did.

I'm not a big advocate of brake dabbing at such people. Just flashing the brake lights only tends to inflame them and a proper prod is just asking for them to rear-end you while you're on the brakes and the rear tyres of your car are somewhat unloaded. A good recepie for them spinning you. No, by far the best policy is to increse your distance from the car in front to allow more gentle braking for the muppet behind if you do need to stand on the brakes, wait until you see the traffic ahead begin to open up and accelerate away from you, then plant the right foot leaving matey's asthmatic little shopping car stranded and struggling at about 60mph as you drive away. The people behind him in real cars with some capacity for acceleration will then flash him out of the way as he's holding them up and you drive away. Nett result - he's no longer behind you and has been taught a lesson about his stupidity by being made to go backwards in the traffic to boot. When trafic is heavy and the outside lane is almost a full time requirement the other option I favour for really persistent tailgaters, who couldn't go futher than the car in front of me anyway as it's to all intents and purposes an 80 odd mile an hour queue, is to use a little bit of the road right near the rumble strip. There tends to be quite a lot of loose rubbish to be picked up by the tyres and bounced off your impatient follower's windscreen and paintwork out there. It usually makes them back off pretty sharpish.

The last person who tailgated me other than on a motorway I slowed slightly to let past in all his four-wheel-drive, turbo charged, Jap rocket glory, on a long safe straight then followed toward the next wet and greasy bend all the time thinking, 'Hmmm, he's leaving the braking a bit late!' and gradually backing away as it got more and more dicey looking. Sure enough, as I entered the bend, really very gently by this time, there was his car, well and truly written off in the middle of the road having run across the oncoming lane (fortunately empty), up the bank, hit a tree and been flung back into the road. It seemed he was OK since by the time I'd reversed back out of the bend a little so my car was visible to approaching traffic, put the hazard lights on and begun to walk over to his bent, steaming wreck he was climbing out of the window.
'Inevitable' said I. 'First time I've driven it in the wet.' stammered he. 'And the last!' assured I. :E

Miraculix
22nd Mar 2006, 17:50
Have you, by any chance, got a skin-head, several tatoos and large muscles? :confused:

No, on the skinhead and large muscles, but I'm 6'3'' with a proportional build, that has helped me before and that might have been the case here too.

But when it comes to fighting, I'd rather do a magic mile, if it's only my ass on the line. If my family or friends are threatened, I'll stay and try to smooth things out, fighting is the last resort.

Hoping
22nd Mar 2006, 17:58
glad to hear you're all still having so much fun on the roads in the UK. Here in Greece, where the rules are non-existent and there's a thousand times more traffic, we simply get on with it calmly, without all this rage and superiority complexes (Asthmatic little car).
I put it down to Greece (Crete) not being a police state, yet, and the people having the freedom to think for themselves.
I'm not missing the good ole UK at all just yet, but I've only been gone 6 months so we'll see how it goes...

Willows
22nd Mar 2006, 18:06
I invested in a hand held Loudspeaker that has a police siren alarm, which is really loud. When they've passed, i open the window and press the button.

Fecking hilarious watching peoples reactions. :} Doesn't help my hearing though.

eal401
22nd Mar 2006, 18:26
Driving along a pretty congested country road, with absolutely no chance of overtaking, due oncomming traffic and overtaking not allowed, a car behind me, could not have been closer without us trading paint.

Nothing much to add on the subject.

I'm just waiting for bjcc to come along and put the blame onto you for not pulling over. :cool:

MyData
22nd Mar 2006, 18:27
I've had the police tailing me once before. I didn't realise it was them at first, they, came right up behind me so I slow down to let them pass. Nothing. So I speed up to move away - they had main beam on so I was being dazzled and wanted some distance or to let them pass.

This went on for a couple of miles before I turned off the road towards home. They followed, then the sky lit up with blue flashing lights - this was about 1am. A friendly chat 'Just checking - there have been some dodgy activities in the neighbourhood' and on my way.

A bizarre tactic and I didn't have the courage to tell them what a s**t-fer-brains they had been for dazzling me and goading me for the past two miles. As it has happened to others here - is this a standard practice?

Unwell_Raptor
22nd Mar 2006, 19:26
I dealt with a road rage incident in court today, in which two parents, each delivering their child to school, had a row with lots of effing and blinding in front of their own and others' children.

One of my collleagues happened to be a teacher and she said that incidents are routine outside the gates of her school.

Ozzy
22nd Mar 2006, 19:37
A bizarre tactic and I didn't have the courage to tell them what a s**t-fer-brains they had been for dazzling me and goading me for the past two miles. As it has happened to others here - is this a standard practice?Is this legal? Or is it just another case of certain plod getting away with whatever they want?

Ozzy

2R
22nd Mar 2006, 19:38
Putting the Car hazard lights on ,The four flashers slows most aggressors down.The closer a tailgater gets the slower i go .If i am going to be in an accident the slower and least amount of energy involved the better for survival.
The half brick out the sunroof works as well but that is reserved for when the horn blowing and flashing lights show starts.:E :E :E

SyllogismCheck
22nd Mar 2006, 20:23
...and superiority complexes (Asthmatic little car)... It's no complex, it's a simple fact. A gutless little 50bhp town car is inferior. I've nothing against such cars in general but when on the motorway their drivers' sit on your bumper as if they're waiting to rocket past, when in actual fact the minute you move out of the way and they have to punch their own hole in the air they'll instantly lose 5mph at worst or take about a fortnight to get past at best, I object. Even more so when there's nowhere for them to rocket to even if they could rocket, which they can't. :hmm:

WG774
22nd Mar 2006, 22:44
The trouble with Gaters is that there's no rhyme or reason to their behaviour; I've noticed that they still behave the same way whether I'm in the shopping car (Civic), whether I'm in my sports car, or even when I was in my ex-business partner's Chavved-up (Schnitzer) 5-series (I'm talking about when I'm in a line of traffic, when there's nowhere for me to accelerate or for them to overtake).

I suspect it's purely a means of expressing pent-up aggression.

How's this for an idea: rig up a servo-controlled injector that fires Redex into the mixture; surely the resulting cloud will get them off your back as they won't be able to see? Anyone for an impromptu DIY thread to discuss installing such a system?

Or how about buying a smoke machine from a disco / theatre supplies shop? You could put the outlet right next to the exhaust...

Alternatively, you could just buy a car with a blown head-gasket...although I guess Plod won't take kindly to it.

G-CPTN
22nd Mar 2006, 23:54
Emitting smoke has long been an offence for motor vehicles. The definition for diesel smoke used to 'just visible' though I was never certain whether it was to be the SMOKE that was to be just visible or the VEHICLE . . . :} ;) :ok:

18-Wheeler
23rd Mar 2006, 00:26
This is why pilots carry Maglite torches.
They may well be a great torch - that's not important - but the larger ones make very effective self-defense clubs.
;)

Tuba Mirum
23rd Mar 2006, 06:43
PS - this was three years ago now so I doubt whether TVP still have that car as a "plain clothes" traffic car but it was a dark blue Vauxhall Vectra (2.4) reg W259 DWL.
This is why, when I ran a dark-coloured company Vectra a few years ago, drivers in the Wantage area would slow down noticeably when I came up behind them, especially at dusk :E .
They soon speeded up when I overtook them and they realised it was an estate :ok:

Wingswinger
23rd Mar 2006, 07:43
The best way to deal with these fools: Acquire an old Land Rover. Make sure it has a tow-ball attached. When the tail-gater gets so close you can no longer see his ( or her, yes, some "hers" are at it these days ) grill or headlights, brake hard. Tow ball will smash through his or her radiator.

Drive off leaving tail-gater standing looking at pool of coolant under his/her vehicle. Make sure you have his her insurance details in case there is any damage to your tow-ball.

vapilot2004
23rd Mar 2006, 09:53
The best way to deal with these fools: Acquire an old Land Rover. Make sure it has a tow-ball attached. When the tail-gater gets so close you can no longer see his ( or her, yes, some "hers" are at it these days ) grill or headlights, brake hard. Tow ball will smash through his or her radiator.

Drive off leaving tail-gater standing looking at pool of coolant under his/her vehicle. Make sure you have his her insurance details in case there is any damage to your tow-ball.

I like the way you think WS ! - N i c e. :}

Along these lines (but not nearly as good) I do well with a quick yank on the handbrake (look ma - no brake lights) a couple of times - usually gets 'em to back off or roar past me. A couple of taps on the brakes just enough to light the lights and a slight slow down when it's clear to pass is my usual method.

Here in the states, it's a real game of Russian roulette (with most of the chambers full) when you rankle the wrong aggressive driver. Many jurisdictions have passed and are enforcing aggressive driving laws to curb this dangerous behavior.

Happy Motoring !

ShyTorque
23rd Mar 2006, 10:06
A handful of glass marbles accidentally dropped from the driver's window might help.......they bounce well and aren't good for paint and windscreens.

I have an unusual "retro" styled trials car, which will just about keep up with motorway traffic at 70 mph on a good day. Because of its limited top speed I tend to drive mainly in the inside lane. What really gets me when I am indicating right to overtake a lorry, those 85-90 mph idiots "car enthusiasts", who were travelling in lane 3, suddenly pulling over and arriving alongside in lane 2 to look at the car, slowing rapidly to match my speed.

They are usually completely unaware that they have just severely boxed me in, causing me to brake hard to avoid the slower vehicle ahead. :eek:

AerBabe
23rd Mar 2006, 11:25
However tempting it is, playing games with aggressive tailgaters does not help! It makes you tense/excited/anxious and you might take risks you wouldn't normally consider. It also severely pisses off someone who's already annoyed. A find that gently tapping my brake pedal, to flash a warning light to them, followed by progressive slowing helps. If you increase the gap you have between yourself and the car in front, you'll often find the person behind you will do the same. Don't ask me why - it just seems to work!

Also, some drivers don't intend to be aggressive tailgaters. I've been a passenger with several drivers who have scared me by driving much too close. If I know them well enough I just ask what would happen if the car in front had to brake suddenly to avoid hitting a dog (for example). Often, they haven't even realised they're way too close.

Lance Murdoch
23rd Mar 2006, 12:17
I described a similar incident in my thread on this subject back in August. After that experience I now think the best thing to do is not to react when in such a situation and then let them past as soon as possible. Such people are an accident waiting to happen but just let them happen to someone else.