PDA

View Full Version : British Airways moves to automated check-in for domestic

PAXboy
22nd Mar 2006, 11:57
I read this short article on a IT on-line journal today: Silicon.com written by Andy McCue and Published: Tuesday 21 March 2006. The REALLY interesting point is the indication about T5

British Airways moves towards online check-in. Traditional check-in desks to be scrapped for UK flights...

British Airways (BA) is to scrap traditional check-in desks for passengers on UK domestic flights from the end of next month as part of its continued investment in automated check-in systems. From April 25, the only way for passengers on internal UK flights to check-in will be online at the ba.com website or using a self-service kiosk at the airport.

Passengers who check-in on ba.com will be able to print their boarding pass from their home or office printer up to 24 hours before their flight, which BA says will allow them to proceed immediately to the boarding gate on arrival at the airport.

Conventional check-in desks will be converted to "fast bag drop" desks for those using self-service kiosks to check their luggage in. Special assistance desks will still be available for those unable to use ba.com or the self-service kiosks.

The move is BA's first step towards simplifying procedures and upgrading facilities over the next two years ahead of its move into the new Terminal 5 at London's Heathrow Airport. BA aims to move more than 80 per cent of its customers to self-service check-in by the time the new terminal opens in spring 2008.

Martin George, commercial director at BA, said the changes are about making the airport experience simpler and speedier for customers. He said in a statement: "Our customers have told us that they are looking for ways to save precious time where possible, so we have developed user-friendly self-service check-in systems... to help ease their journey through the airport."

Jordan D
22nd Mar 2006, 18:26
See now this is something I don't understand as I've just travelled EDI-LHR-EDI ... what's the point of Self service check in, if you've then got to "fast" bag drop ... often queueing in a queue that takes as long as a normal checkin line ... in which case you've actually now spent more time at "Check-In".

Its a bloody disgrace ...

Jordan

Memetic
22nd Mar 2006, 21:26
So as (AFIK) it is the law that you have to be SEEN to be able bodied etc. to be allocated exit row seats.

Does this now mean they will be avaliable for online check in? Sounds like a recipie for "Would you mind swapping seats sir / madam." if they do.

Or is the subtext that BA are going scramble seating for domestic?

Memetic

PAXboy
23rd Mar 2006, 00:00
Wednesday brings this:
Dear Mr Paxboy, :p
You demand a fast, stress-free journey through the airport, so I'm sure you'll be interested to know that, as from 25 April 2006, all our UK Domestic customers will be required to check in for their flight either online* via ba.com or using one of our Self-Service Check-in kiosks** at the airport.

Don't worry if you've never checked in online or collected a boarding pass from a Self-Service Check-in kiosk before. We have a simple guide on ba.com, and at the airport our staff will be on hand to help you at the Self-Service Check-in kiosks.

By checking in online, you can also choose to print your own boarding pass from a home, hotel or office printer, up to 24 hours before your flight. This means you'll be able to head straight to the boarding gate on arrival at the airport.

What's more, we're converting our conventional check-in desks into 'Fast Bag Drop' desks, for you to check-in any luggage. For more information on our check-in options, click here (https://www.britishairways.com/travel/chkopt/public/en_gb).

Yours sincerely
Sarah Keyes
Executive Club,
Marketing Manager

*Check-in on ba.com is available to all UK Domestic customers except those travelling with children or infants, those travelling in a group of up to six wishing to check-in together and those travelling on codeshare services. Customers travelling with children or infants and groups of up to six can check-in at a kiosk.
**Check-in at a kiosk is available to all UK Domestic customers, except those travelling on codeshare services.
Only those UK Domestic customers unable to check-in using ba.com or a kiosk will be able to check-in at a desk.

I now need to ask if this will include LTN, as they have only one rotation a day from theere (IOM) and my guess is that the answer = No!

10secondsurvey
23rd Mar 2006, 06:43
So, to those at BA, remember this day, as it marks the end of BA as we know it. This is what is known as the thin end of the wedge.

The above poster was correct regarding luggage checking. You check in at the machine, then queue to check in at the baggage check.

buy your own coffee on the exciting new BA product called 'BA connect' (I'll stick with KLM, thanks..)

The new man in charge at BA thinks he will succeed by turning it into easyjet for domestic and EU flights. Well, here's the news...easyjet does it better. Even Ryanair does it better. If I'm gonna fly budget-I will fly budget, not some half baked BA 'exciting new product' at premium prices.

Bit by bit, BA management seem determined to remove anything that marks them out as being better than their budget counterparts.

Yeah, soon, it will be free for all seating. Documentary called 'airline' to follow..

And the fares keep on going up.

No real reason to choose BA above anyone else then. Do they really think they will keep premium travellers with this approach?

I think it is time to open up the slots for LHR to more competition, to allow better services to compete. Clearly BA think the frequent flyers (I'm one) they have are all stupid, and they can whittle away the service, and still charge higher fares. BA have got this soooooooo wrong! GGrrrr!

23rd Mar 2006, 07:47
Seeing that I've never used the BA machines when I've been taking a connecting flight...

Let's just say that I'm flying EDI-LHR-YVR.

Can I check in for the LHR-YVR leg using the self-service check-in?

Also, is it possible to check in online/self-service with excess baggage? Some airlines don't allow this.

Crepello
23rd Mar 2006, 09:40
Lot of negativity here, but this can work well if it's properly organised. I regularly fly within the US where many carriers reduced check-in staff but increased the number of checkin counters.

This reduces queueing significantly and if you've checked in online (giving a better chance of getting the seat you want) then you're through in minutes. It's even reasonably quick if you're lumbered with a paper ticket.

Let's face it, everyone trying to shave costs these days, and this way also provides better service. I just hope BA will do it right - and their pax will give it a chance.

airborne_artist
23rd Mar 2006, 10:15
By checking in online, you can also choose to print your own boarding pass from a home, hotel or office printer

It's not always very easy to print out stuff - what I'd like would be a WAP-based check-in, with a bar-code sent to my phone that is readable by the airport machines. I carry a phone all the time, but I don't carry a printer!

Stampe
23rd Mar 2006, 12:10
Hey guys I travel almost weekly with BA shorthaul LGW-Man or Gla.The electronic check in is superb and the ability to print the boarding card at home even better.My company started using Jet2 on the Man route and burnt their fingers rapidly when they fell foul of Jet 2 s aggressive excess baggage policy it cost them far more than ticket face value savings.A rapid change back to BA was ordered.BA get my vote every time and still asnack and free beverage, a class act.

EI-CFC
23rd Mar 2006, 15:56
Can I check in for the LHR-YVR leg using the self-service check-in?

Generally yes (especially if both flights are BA). There will still be desks for those "odd" bookings which cant use the kiosks.

Hew Jaz
24th Mar 2006, 13:24
FR have also introduced the availability of online check for internal flights in Ireland - apparently it's working okay in STN and other airports within Europe.

However, security in Dublin are refusing to scan the 'boarding cards' and so pax are not being allowed through. Consequently, some are likely to miss flights.

FR being FR though, are subsequently punishing the said pax by suggesting to them that they claim a refund from the airport authorities. Pax are also being encouraged to write to the Taoiseach, Mr Bertie Ahern and whinge to him about the fact that a second terminal will not be operated by a private group.

As usual it is the pax who suffer - FR receive payment for the flight, fail to tell pax about the 'difficulty' and pass the blame onto other people, whilst avoiding their responsibilities.

EI-CFC
24th Mar 2006, 15:07
FR being FR though, are subsequently punishing the said pax by suggesting to them that they claim a refund from the airport authorities.

I can't see any mention of that anywhere (news stories, etc.)

MarkD
24th Mar 2006, 17:28
Have used AC and BA's online check-in and BA's fast bag drop at YYZ. The Toronto FBD does what it says on the tin, especially when you see the queue of people for a 744 including multiple groups which take ages as they are often connecting to South Asia.

Wouldn't do it any other way now. As for exit row - come early and queue up I suppose, same way if you're trolling for an upgrade or whatever.

MarkD
25th Mar 2006, 04:58
Mike J

AC had plenty of staff on hand to explain the kiosks when new T1 opened at YYZ, and I believe EI did the same but I didn't witness it personally.

Crepello
25th Mar 2006, 08:03
Sounds like BA need to review staffing levels if the queues are long - waiting for 50 bag-drops is hardly 'fast'. And I'd hope security will speed up as people get used to the new regs. In the US, most travellers know to strip and lube before approaching TSA so the lines move quickly.

As for emergency row seats... maybe mount a button on the ceiling above the check-in desk. If you can reach it, you can have an exit seat... ;)

Railgun
25th Mar 2006, 12:04
The self service machines are very good. If your on a club europe fair or a business uk ticket they will offer you the chance to take a earlier flight if there is space available. Also pax traveling to places that require APIS data can use them as they now have passport scanners fitted.

Hial Flyer
25th Mar 2006, 16:13
I have used the BA online check in and printed my boarding card at home several times and it works great.

Why don't they allow you to check-in online when travelling with children yet you can use the kiosk?

Taildragger
25th Mar 2006, 23:16
How do machines Security Profile pax.?? How do they see the nervousness and sweat on Pax who have unfriendly intentions. Does the machine pick out pax who just bought a premium class ticket earlier in the day.??
How do they ask the security questions.? Is it simply a click of the interactive screen to respond.?
These and a hundred other security questions. When does a Human intervene.?

humberside_go
26th Mar 2006, 01:09
What about people like my old grandmother? She cannot operate a cash machine never mind use an 'automated check-in kiosk', she does however use BA domestic routes on a semi regular basis and can cope with the 'normal' check in process with the help from the staff that this entails.

EI-CFC
26th Mar 2006, 10:20
What about people like my old grandmother? She cannot operate a cash machine never mind use an 'automated check-in kiosk', she does however use BA domestic routes on a semi regular basis and can cope with the 'normal' check in process with the help from the staff that this entails.

BA will have staff there to assist people in using them, so I don't think it should be a huge issue. Plus, if worst comes to worst, there will still be one or two desks open.

HZ123
26th Mar 2006, 14:09
Grandma can ask for assistance as a special needs pax and be met at the 'check-in' area. I would not be to confident onthe BAstaff that are there toassist as these few are usually swamped. As with so many service industry iniatives you will like it and us it, choice will be removed?

the_fish@blueyonder.
26th Mar 2006, 18:51
I have used the BA self Checkin Kiosks twice, at EDI and LHR. At both airports the process was very quick and there was litteraly no que at the Bag Drop desk, and this was at rush hour at both airports. I am going to use tese kiosks again in the summer when I fly to Prague from Gatwick, hopefully I will have the same experience again.

skiddyiom
27th Mar 2006, 06:23
My wife tells me that anyone with an onward connection will still have to check in at a desk. The kiosks are for single sector journeys. How true that is I don't know, but it would seem logical. We'll find out when they eventually install kiosks here on the IOM ! :}

skiddy

Railgun
27th Mar 2006, 06:40
My wife tells me that anyone with an onward connection will still have to check in at a desk. The kiosks are for single sector journeys. How true that is I don't know, but it would seem logical. We'll find out when they eventually install kiosks here on the IOM ! :}
skiddy

No as long as the 2 tickets are linked and provided its not somewhere where you require a visa to visit then you can use the machines to check in for both sectors.

Jordan D
27th Mar 2006, 08:21
Surely the majority of countries in the world (if not all) require visas from passengers of some other countries ... how is the system going to work that one out?

Jordan

obgraham
28th Mar 2006, 18:48
I know you dont want to hear this, but on this side of the Pond, I'd say 85% of checkins are now self-check-in at the kiosk. Much faster than waiting for some bored twit at the desk to do you while she worries about her nail job due at 3pm. Ongoing flights check in fine. Baggage checks in fine, prints the tag, and the one bored person sticks it on your bag and sends you off to the TSA nazis. For International some still work manually, others you put in your passport stuff, then a uniform verifies it and off you go.

This is a step forward, folks!

apaddyinuk
29th Mar 2006, 05:57
At the end of the day, if you are travelling by train do you prefer to get your ticket from a machine or go to the counter? I know I prefer to go to the machine, its quick and easy and I dont have to make pointless conversation with someone which I would otherwise have to do cos Im too damn polite sometimes!
If however you want to physically speak to someone (so you can hint for an upgrade...why else would it matter) then just go up to the bag desk ( they will still have all the normal equipment of a typical check in desk) and claim you have crippling arthritis (now do you spell that?) in your fingers and you cant use the kiosks!!! :}

skiddyiom
29th Mar 2006, 06:14
I know you dont want to hear this, but on this side of the Pond, I'd say 85% of checkins are now self-check-in at the kiosk. Much faster than waiting for some bored twit at the desk to do you while she worries about her nail job due at 3pm. Ongoing flights check in fine. Baggage checks in fine, prints the tag, and the one bored person sticks it on your bag and sends you off to the TSA nazis. For International some still work manually, others you put in your passport stuff, then a uniform verifies it and off you go.

Your American check in agents may be as you describe, but I take exception to your blaise generalisation. My wife works damn hard in her job and so do her colleauges. And a bit of personal service is usually welcome whereas a machine is prone to breakdowns and is inflexible. And who asks the security questions? Your amazing TSA? More power for them to torment you with. Thats good.

The machine may be fine for checking in quick internal flights but I would suggest international flights should still be manual. However, I'm sure you know best as Americans always do as we can see around the world.

skiddy

Railgun
29th Mar 2006, 06:47
And who asks the security questions? Your amazing TSA? More power for them to torment you with. Thats good.
The machine may be fine for checking in quick internal flights but I would suggest international flights should still be manual. However, I'm sure you know best as Americans always do as we can see around the world.
skiddy

If you traveling to the states, canada etc from the UK there is no need to even see anyone from BA if not checking in baggage till you get on your first aircraft. You can have both boarding cards with you processed either online or by a self service machine. The Machines ask the security questions, in europe they do not ask you these at checkin they just have them displayed around the checkin desk.

It does not matter if people like them or not they are here to stay and they will soon become the future. It costs far less for a self service machine situated in a termainal than a chechin desk, computer system and someone to man the desk.

Pax Vobiscum
29th Mar 2006, 14:54
Travelling Gatwick-Bologna on Friday morning, first time I had luggage to check with my pre-printed boarding pass (I usually try to travel hand baggage only, but Mrs PV was accompanying me ...). Arrive Gatwick 06:55, enter lounge 07:05 having dropped off suitcase and been through security - can't see how I can improve on that!

obgraham
30th Mar 2006, 05:56
I'm sure you know best as Americans always do as we can see around the world.That's why I started my rant the way I did Skiddy!
For what it's worth, I think UK check-in security is far and away better than the rubbish we deal with here.
And Mrs. Skid sounds great -- she doesn't work check-in in a large US place!

bealine
30th Mar 2006, 08:02
For International some still work manually, others you put in your passport stuff, then a uniform verifies it and off you go.

........and this explains the dramatic increase in Americans refused entry to European countries and their carriers receiving hefty fines from Immigration!

(US citizens visiting Europe without a visa must have evidence of a return booking within 90 days - an "Open" ticket is not sufficient - or possess evidence of European residency.)

This is a giant leap backwards, people!!!

treaclecat
30th Mar 2006, 11:54
Sounds Great doesnt it! Hard to think it will work though especially as those people who decide to check in online at the moment find it difficult half the time to print out their online boarding cards and then get to the airport and make comments to "the girl painting her nails" that he forgot. Whats the point of a self service check in at an airport where 85% of people are checking bags through for an onward connection, and the rest are business men that are just using the on line check in system to reserve themselves seats and cant be asked to take the time to print out their boarding cards so have to join the Q anyway. Check In agents are the face of the airline and its all about Customer Service, interaction with their customers and making them feel important, cant see how a computerised self check in has the same appeal. BA should be investing in making better use of their hard worked check in agents not trying to replace them with an inanimate object that can at times break down and be totally useless, how many times have you tried to check in at a conventional desk to be told by the agent "sorry this agent is out of order".

lexxity
30th Mar 2006, 12:59
Ah Treaclecat if only the airlines thought like that. :ugh: :hmm: Don't you realise humans are obsolete?:mad:

treaclecat
30th Mar 2006, 13:26
Ah Treaclecat if only the airlines thought like that. :ugh: :hmm: Don't you realise humans are obsolete?:mad:
There speaks the voice of a robot - sorry to dissapoint you but there are a lot of people who work in this industry that are still humanoid and care about their companys and their passengers its a shame a few more of you robots out their didnt follow their example then perhaps the industry wouldnt be in the state it is in. I class myself as very lucky to work with people that do still care and I hope that WE keep the robots at bay for as long as possible. Long Live the Humanoid:ok:

lexxity
30th Mar 2006, 13:35
Treaclecat I was being sarcastic. Check my profile. It affects me as much as everyone else. I think too much is being given over to machines. I can only hope it comes full circle.

obgraham
30th Mar 2006, 15:48
So is there some reason why we shouldn't have both? A line for those who link flying with social interaction and job creation. A machine for antisocials who prefer efficiency.

treaclecat
31st Mar 2006, 08:43
Nice to know you are a "humanoid" after all. Thanks

Stockpicker
1st Apr 2006, 20:46
Yep, I have no problem with pre-printing my own boarding pass or using the machine, when travelling alone and on business. When I take my family on holiday (including 6 year old kid) I am not allowed, at present, to use either of these. So now what I see is that there will be a reduced number of desks, with lexx and her overworked colleagues, trying to deal with all the people who can't use self check in, as well as the "fast" (oh hah hah, that really was a lol moment!) bag drop folk.

On the exit row question, I'm really flummoxed. Presumably, you can't allow someone to put themselves in that row; on the other hand, the able-bodied passenger without kids will have done the automated process and been sat somewhere else. So ....

... who ends up in the exit row??

DarkStar
2nd Apr 2006, 03:18
When it comes to exit row seats, these are normally 'blocked off' prior to loading into the system for 'deserving cases' such as the Captain's wife or girlfriend or the CSD's 'partner'. Who asks the security questions and profiles the passengers? Well, please do not ask awkward questions. It's all about BA saving money, not about 'better service or 'airport experience' :E

BA has gone to the dogs....:(

Railgun
2nd Apr 2006, 12:43
Yep, I have no problem with pre-printing my own boarding pass or using the machine, when travelling alone and on business. When I take my family on holiday (including 6 year old kid) I am not allowed, at present, to use either of these. So now what I see is that there will be a reduced number of desks, with lexx and her overworked colleagues, trying to deal with all the people who can't use self check in, as well as the "fast" (oh hah hah, that really was a lol moment!) bag drop folk.

There will be a new softwear rolled out this month that will enable familys and groups or 6+ to check in at the SSK's. Or so we are lead to believe.....