PDA

View Full Version : MEIR Uk several options......

genius747
22nd Mar 2006, 03:16
Hello all.

From the start... I am looking for an FTO in the UK to do my JAA MEIR. I have looked at several schools that seem attractive for MEIR training. What I am going to do is baisically list the 5 main schools I am looking at, list their course breakdown for the MEIR and the cost.

If anybody that has any personal experience at any of these schools studing for the MEIR, good comments, bad comments advise on hidden costs not listed such as landing fees, approach fees, extra surcharges, quality of instruction, aircraft quality, general attitudes in the school etc.. I would much appreciate a few words on the school, not just for me but of course for anybody else in a position similar to mine at the moment.

Finally, anybody with a MEIR I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions on what type of course stucture for the MEIR taining is the best, ie: how many hous in the sim, in the twin, in the SE etc.. for the MEIR training. What is the difference with an FNPT1 sim, an FNPT2 sim a Frasca sim etc...

Anyhow, here is the list of the 5 schools:

-------------------------------------------
www.bfctraining.co.uk
MEIR option 1: 35hs sim PA34-200T Seneca
15hs PA34-T Seneca
GBP:10,290

MEIR option 2: 25hrs sim PA34-200T
25hrs PA34-T Seneca
GBP:11,090

www.bcft.org.uk
MEIR Option 1: 35hrs PA28A
15hs BE76
GBP:12,080

MEIR Option 2: 10hrs FNPT1
25hrs FNPT2
15hs BE76
GBP:10,225

www.flightpass.co.uk
MEIR 5weeks - 50hours course
11hrs FNPT2
4hrs PA28
20hrs FNPT2
15hs PA34

5 hrs free FNPT2 practice!

GBP:11,140
--------------------------------------------

www.airwaysflighttraining.co.uk
50hr MEIR course

30hs FRASCA FNPT2
5/10 hrs PA28R
15hs BE76

GBP:11,050

www.flysfc.com
MEIR 50hrs course
35hs ALSIM FNPT2
15hs DA42

GBP:9,350

I really do appreciate anybody with expeience here helping this very confused wannabee.

Thanks again folks.

G747:ok:

boogie-nicey
22nd Mar 2006, 09:48
and perhaps Bristol flight Centre???

Whoops just realised that was listed first...

'red faced' :)

thebeast
22nd Mar 2006, 10:50
Well Genius I went to Bristol and found the instruction excellent. There is an examiner on site to there’s no positioning fees on test day. I did the 25 hrs sim and 25 hrs plane and I think that it is definitely the best option to have more time in the plane despite the slighty higher cost. After 25 hrs in the sim I found it relatively easy, switched to the plane and thought......fcccccckkkk. More real flight time allows you become far more comfortable with IR flying procedures and also how to cope with the unexpected.

But...I know several people who went to Atlantic in Coventry and gave that the thumbs up in terms of cost and new glass cockpit aircraft.

Basically there is no definitive this school is better than that one and as long as it has a good reputation etc there’s not a lot to choose between them in terms of price etc so I would say just go with instinct.

Hope that helps

ramshorn
22nd Mar 2006, 14:43
Hi
I am at Bristol at the moment and can also vouch for BFC.
Very proffesional set up with excellent and dedicated instructors and top notch new facilities.
As has already been said, there are quite a few good approved IR training providers around, but i chose Bristol as it has a good reputation and i live in Bristol which is a bonus!
Have a look on the CAA website at CAA approved IR training providers and take it from there.
There was a thread on here a couple of months back asking 'the type of questions you should ask potential training providers which was particularly aimed towards the IR.Try doing a search for something like'questions to ask potential IR training providers', and you should come up with something.

Fly Well!

See ya;)

Dan 98
22nd Mar 2006, 14:54
I'm at BFC at the moment, very professional, good instructors etc... The airspace is busy but it puts you in the enviroment that oneday we all hope to fly in. I would highly recommend them.
All the best with your choice

Dan

clarityinthemurk
22nd Mar 2006, 20:49
Do you have a Multi-engine rating? If not, you will need to factor in another 3.5K for this before you can start. Correct?

Send Clowns
23rd Mar 2006, 02:33
£3.5k?!??!

You could do it for less than £1500 at BCFT last time I saw the prices! Even elsewhere it is rarely much over £2000, adding a test on might take it to £2.5k.