PDA

View Full Version : AEROSERVICE / CLIMBTO350.COM CAREER FAIR / OPEN HOUSE INFO

thomay
21st Mar 2006, 17:01
Hello all

The following information is from climbto350.com:

Miami, Florida - Saturday, April 22nd, 2006 from 10am - 4pm
WIN A FREE B-737 TYPE RATING! Attend the April 22nd, 2006 Aeroservice / Climbto350.com Career Fair Open House and enter to win a Free B-737 Type Rating. Come see what makes this event different from the others. Last year we helped more pilots obtain interviews and jobs than any other aviation career event.

This is a free event for both job seekers and employers. Don’t be surprised if you attend on Saturday and start class on Monday. In many cases you're actually given your drug test and simulator evaluation on the day of the Career Fair… so come prepared.

Attending Employers and Recruiters:

Southwest Airlines - Hiring B-737 Captains & First Officers
Cape Air - Hiring Cessna 402 Captains & ATR-42 First Officers
Pinnacle Airlines - Hiring CRJ First Officers
Cathay Pacific - Hiring B747-200 & B747-400 Direct Entry First Officers on Freighter fleet. B747-400 and A340 for Direct Entry Second Officers (cruise pilots) on Passenger fleet.
Amerijet International - Hiring B-727 First Officers & Flight Engineers
Miami Air - Hiring B-737 First Officers
Kalitta Air - Hiring B-747 First Officers & First Officers
Direct Personnel International - Hiring A320, B757 and B747-400 Captains & First Officers. Direct Personnel International's Event Schedule
Omni Air International - Hiring DC-10 First Officers & Flight Engineers
Colgan Air - Hiring B-1900 & Saab 340 Captains & First Officers
Focus Air - Hiring B747 Classic Captains, First Officers, Second Officers & Professional Flight Engineers

Airlines are attending for only one reason, to interview and hire! The day is simple. The doors open at 10am. When you arrive, you simply sign in and start meeting the representatives from each of the airlines. When you come, make sure that you bring enough resumes, copies of your passport, pilot certificates and drivers license with you. You won’t be forced to sit through hours of lectures, we promise.
You don’t want to miss this career fair. We anticipate over 1200 job opportunities will be available with minimum hour requirements as low as 600 – 1200 hours.

Questions: Has anybody ever attended any of their previous open houses? Would it be worth it to spend money to go there without any airline time in my logbooks (2100 h in GA as CFI in my case)?
Cathay Pacific (not an option for me, I reckon, if even airline captains seem to be applying for their Direct Entry Second Officers program) is going to be there and a couple of other international airlines, but other than that, is it a fair that guys from Europe should/must attend?
Are they overblowing it with the "anticipated 1200 job opportunities"? What is the ratio of opportunities in the US vs. the rest of the world?
I know that some of the American airlines listed above are asking for the quoted 600 - 1200 hours, but what about us "International" guys looking for jobs?

Anybody with previous "open-house-time" reading this: Please enlighten us (me and undoubtedly countless others) with your wisdom as to this career fair.

Thank you very much for your insights!

thomay

edited to add spaces that disappeared after previewing thread

mcgoo
21st Mar 2006, 17:10
you don't say where you are from but unless you have the right to live and work in the US forget it, getting a green card for the US is nigh on impossible for british people apart from some professions/jobs and unless you have relatives there.

fescalised portion
22nd Mar 2006, 08:41
I attended last September and had a few companies that were interested in my C.V.

They all told me to get back in contact with them when I had the right to live and work in the USA.......So that's what I am working on at the moment.

Mark Collins
22nd Mar 2006, 11:45
Tomay,

I attended one last year and although a good event with a good range of companies looking for varying degrees of experience they are all US companies and you will need the right to live and work in the US for them to take you seriously.

The format is simple, you line up to see whichever company you are interested in and when it is your turn you basically get a first round interview with either an HR or Flight Ops individual. If they like you, you will be invited for a second interview/sim check.

If you have US residency, your FAA ratings and some hours under your belt (US regionals look for around 600TT with 100 Multi) then it might be worth attending.

thomay
22nd Mar 2006, 13:30
Dear Marc Collins, fescalised portion, mcgoo:

Thank you for your information.

I am aware of the need for the right to live and work in the US in order to be considered by a US airline (and that getting a sponsorship/green card through employment is all but impossible in the airline industry).

Judging from your replies this is a fair strictly for the US market, and not meant for foreign nationals.

pltskiracer
22nd Mar 2006, 22:38
You will need a green card to work in the states. They will not sponsor you. You will also need 600-1200 hours to get a job for a regional airline making a whopping $17000 a year. I made $16800 first year flying an EMB-145 for a US regional airline.
There are thousands of foreign pilots working in the states for various airlines and they all have a green card or a US passport, so if you want to work here you will need to get a green card.
I have been in the states since 1999 and it took me 3+ years to finally get a green card. I went through several visas (J1 and H3) before getting the magic green card. Dealing with US Immigration is something I do not wish upon my worst enemy. It has been a pain in the neck ever since i moved over here to start pilot training. I have a 2 year green card right now so i am not out of the woods just yet. But the gren card got me 1200 hours in the EMB-145 and I am currently typed and flying a Boeing 737-800 so it is all paying off (I hope).
Good luck and fly safe.

hixton
23rd Mar 2006, 10:40
pltskiracer how did you finally get the green card, was it through marriage?