PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows Training

lossiemouth
21st Mar 2006, 15:03
Does anyone know why the red arrows have to go away for naerly 3 Months traing this year?
In the days of the Gnat they never went away, and that was a more difficult aircraft to fly.

Oshkosh George
21st Mar 2006, 16:59
They do this every year,primarily because they have new members each year (I believe it is two),plus it obviously really helps if they train for the season. The team also have to be approved by RAF heirarchy before the season.

It always impresses me that they go to all venues,and unlike any other team,they do not do an onsite rehearsal,and that includes foreign ones.

BOAC
21st Mar 2006, 19:56
I cannot answer why '3 months', if indeed that is the case - I do not know. I do know that it is done normally to go somewhere where there are bluer skies so the team can put things together with more weather reliability. You can practice just so many 'flatties' and 'rolling' (if you are lucky!) before you need a 'fullie'.

In my time there were fairly stringent financial restraints which precluded travel 'abroad':{ . Cyprus has been a favourite for a while. A session out there is far more productive in 'getting ready' than watching the rain drip down the windows in the UK.

GBALU53
22nd Mar 2006, 17:54
Every year they have three new members.

The pilots stay normally in the team for three years.

When the Arrows are down in sunny Jersey for the international air display in September they welcome the three new members for the following year.

Jersey in 2005 had the Reds twice the first occasion was in May when they were returning after there Cyprus three months ,from what i have found out this was the first civil display of 2005 season and the third display of the new team. having perormed two military displays in the Med.

I understand they have to do a display infront of a committee before they get there full display authority.:ok: :ok:

Hope this helps in some way:ok: :ok:

teeteringhead
24th Mar 2006, 10:55
Effectively the team ceases to exist when the changeover (three out, three in) takes place at the end of each season. As the Public Display Clearance is for the nominated pilots as a team, it lapses automatically when the three leave.

And the "old hands" can't forget this - they ALL go back into green flying suits until the next season's clearance is granted. Cyprus does indeed provide guaranteed good weather as well as a handy RAF base to use.

The final clearance is given by the Commander in Chief of Personnel and Training Command (the boss of the non-front line RAF), who also flies with each pilot on the final practices in the run up to new season. Then the clearance is given, break open the fizz (and the red suits!)

chevvron
24th Mar 2006, 13:01
At Farnborough, ALL display items including the Red Arrows are required to demonstrate their display prior to appearing before the public. No exceptions are allowed.

Wessex Boy
24th Mar 2006, 14:25
There was a very good series on Disco Wings that went through the whole process from selection thru' training to signoff in Cyprus. They sometimes repeat it on 'Red Arrows night'
An important aspect of the champagne party is also to thank the 'Blue Suits' for their hard work and support in keeping them in the air.

FJJP
26th Mar 2006, 14:18
The three months in Cyprus [at RAF Akrotiri] is a cost-effective way of giving the team a sustained period of training unbroken by lengthy poor weather conditions.

Whether or not a display aerobatic team needs to do a practice at the venue depends upon their NATO or National accreditation. If a foreign team [such as the French or Italians] have NATO accreditation, that is usually accepted by display organisers in the UK. For a team like the Swiss, [which are not part of NATO] then a display practice is usually called for, witnessed by a suitable flyer [eg Red Arrows Leader or Manager] before displaying in front of the public. I cannot tell you why Farnborough should be different.

Sometimes the team will do a practice anyway, especially if the venue is tricky to fly in [eg difficult terrain, etc].

scottyhs
26th Mar 2006, 14:35
I think its called operation Springhawk, and like said above is mainly for the good weather aspect of it!

It allows them to do the practises they need, also the shape of Cyprus allows for varitions of practise of dispalys i.e. in front of cliffs, down runway lines etc... I learnt that off a TV programme about them!

chevvron
27th Mar 2006, 13:12
Also p****s off the locals and the residents at Akrotiri; the year I was there everyone was fed up after the third day, especially the Phantom driver who'd shot his drogue and wasn't allowed to come home for 40min!

studentpilotmcuk
22nd Apr 2006, 21:44
The Red Arrows used to arrive from the back of the crowd, why did they loose this privilage (sorry for the spelling)

Regards SPMCUK :)

chiglet
22nd Apr 2006, 21:51
The Red Arrows used to arrive from the back of the crowd, why did they loose this privilage (sorry for the speeling)
In a word..... SAFETY
I agree, it was rather more "Dramatic" to do that, but alas..
It ain't gonna happen no more :{ :{
watp,iktch

GBALU53
22nd Apr 2006, 22:15
I agree if there was a problem they were flying away from the crowd.

The flying control committee would be the ones who would be able to fully explain the reason why the are not doing this any more.

Jordan D
23rd Apr 2006, 00:16
They - along with a number of aircraft - did this unlike banned on grounds of safety. As an aside, at a private RAF display in 2000, we did have a Tornado come from behind the crowd ... to great affect!

Jordan

scottyhs
23rd Apr 2006, 17:06
I believe it all comes down to the incident in Germany at an Airshow a few years back (please correct me if i am wrong there) but basically i think all airshows in Europe stopped the aircraft overflying the crowdline purely to give the extra safety margin for escape and protection of life in case of an emergence, however i do remember reading somewhere thats the Reds has special right thats allowed them to arrive over the crowd but that could be wrong as i read it on another forum!