PDA

View Full Version : New Subsonic Targets for UK

GengisKhant
21st Mar 2006, 07:49
Britain’s subsonic aerial target requirements for the next 20 years are to be supplied by contractor Qinetiq, who was named preferred bidder by Defence Procurement Minister Lord Drayson on March 16, ahead of a rival bid by a Serco/EADS consortium.
The private finance initiative deal will replace a series of single-service contracts to supply targets with a combined aerial target service (CATS).
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) did not give the value of the public/private partnering deal, but industry sources say it could be worth more than 400 million pounds ($698.5 million).
Qinetiq already has a long-term partnering contract to operate British test and firing ranges.
CATS services will be available to British forces worldwide. The bulk of the work, though, will be undertaken in the United Kingdom, primarily at Aberporth, Wales, which already delivers an aerial target service for the MoD.
The company’s bid included the use of Mirach 100/5 targets from Galileo Avionica of Italy, and Banshee and Voodoo targets supplied by local manufacturer Meggitt Defence Systems.
Weapon systems using the target service will include the naval Sea Dart, the Army’s Rapier and high-velocity missiles, and the Air Force’s ASRAAM weapon.
The MoD said in a statement March 16 that supersonic aerial target requirements would continue to be met via a Foreign Military Sales agreement with the United States.

GengisK :ok:

BEagle
21st Mar 2006, 07:59
"Subsonic aerial targets"

Otherwise known as Harriers?

The Helpful Stacker
21st Mar 2006, 09:57
I always fancied a flight in a Jindivik.;)

threepointonefour
21st Mar 2006, 10:09
"Subsonic aerial targets"
Otherwise known as Harriers?

Is the Harrier fast enough to be classed as sub-sonic??

The Helpful Stacker
21st Mar 2006, 10:13
Have they already scrapped all the SHAR's? If not, couldn't they be converted to U1's or something, seems a fitting and useful end to an a/c that has done pretty much nothing since 1982.

Shame they don't want a supersonic drone too, those F3's are going to be STR in the not too distant future.;)

GengisKhant
21st Mar 2006, 10:28
THS...., good idea...., send details to the marketing dept of QintecQ..., you never know, you might just find a solution for the redundant F3s.......,

though..., I don't think that we have used any redundant frames for target practice since the meatbox back in the late 50's early 60's...., if we have, I am sure somone will quickly advise me otherwise!

Navaleye
21st Mar 2006, 10:52
Good idea to practice against slow moving targets they know they can hit. :}

BEagle
21st Mar 2006, 10:59
Sea Vixen D Mk 3 springs to mind? But whether any were ever actually shot down, I do not know.

Around the Malvinas time, certain F-4 QWIs were thinking about the feasibility of a head-on SUU23 gun trial against the 'Vixen. Fortunately the idea was shelved.

RileyDove
21st Mar 2006, 21:35
I don't believe any Sea Vixen D.3's were lost in anger. The rumour on them was that missiles had problems locking onto a heat source . As for the 'Jin'-
Stacker - it's really almost a radio controlled Jet Provost !

Beeayeate
21st Mar 2006, 22:02
I don't think that we have used any redundant frames for target practice since the meatbox back in the late 50's early 60's...., if we have, I am sure somone will quickly advise me otherwise!

Canberras at Woomera and as targets for Sea Slug.

foormort
22nd Mar 2006, 01:57
With the small amount of involvement I have had with Mirach I can say that it is a step backwards from the Gindi. Less time on station, more restrictive limits on launch and recovery conditions. And, finally the reliability. As for Aberporth, why, why, why. As wpn systems increase in range the airspace struggles to accomodate the associated safety traces (and welsh fishermen). I wish we would do things properly instead of a bodge and patch repair scheme. Lets all go to Sweeden and use their o'land range with realistic targets and environmentals.

GengisKhant
22nd Mar 2006, 08:26
Thanks Beeayeate....

knew someone out there would have more information on this topic....,

strek
22nd Mar 2006, 11:37
I feel it may be difficult to take a Type 42 or 45 to the overland range in Sweden.....

However could modify for land use the transporter that was used to bring Nottingham back :E

NoseGunner
22nd Mar 2006, 12:41
Was trying to think of a reasoned, well thought out way of putting this, but then I gave up.

Mirach is rubbish.

Tim McLelland
23rd Mar 2006, 15:04
Sea Vixens were never actually used as targets - they weren't ideal and they were expensive, so the programme was dropped. Likewise, the plan to use Lightnings was just as unscuccessful.
Sea Harriers and Tornado F3's would be pretty cool in red/yellow colours!
One assumes however, that all of these targets will be nothing more exciting than a variety of towed or radio-controlled toys...