PDA

View Full Version : RAF anthropometric requirements

Gavinus
20th Mar 2006, 15:25
Hello,
I was reading earlier posts about the RAF anthropometric requirements ( regarding bottom to knee length etc) However I was wondering what are the specifcations for a few other paremeters such as

Arm reach
Siiting height ( how is this meassured? )

If these tow have been covered previously I apologise I just cannot find them.

Thank you fro your time,

Gav

Genghis the Engineer
24th Mar 2006, 10:41
Sitting height is the distance from the floor to the top of your head when sat on the floor against a vertical wall behind you, legs stretched out in front.

In the same position, strength your arm out with your shoulder pushed against the wall. Functional reach is the distance from the wall to the end of your thumb.

I don't know what the limits are, but I'm only just above them, and my particular dimensions are...

Height: 1679mm
Sitting height: 886mm
Thigh length (backside to front of knee in usual sitting position): 563mm
Leg length (obvious): 1028mm
Functional reach: 757mm

So if you're around those or above (assuming that you're a shorthouse as well) you should be okay.

G

Gavinus
24th Mar 2006, 17:55
Thank you very much, that is really helpful.

Thanks again,

Gav

Sven Sixtoo
24th Mar 2006, 18:47
Ghengis

You are a shortarse!

(But I guess Vlad the Impaler said something similar).

Seriously, did you pass anthropometry to fly RAF aircraft, and if so in what capacity?

I'm 1710 tall and was told that was the minimum (and have spent a 29 yr career with every seat in 22 types on the top stop).

Sven

Genghis the Engineer
24th Mar 2006, 19:41
Bulldog as a UAS student.

Then a few years later as flight test engineer at Boscombe Down: Tucano, Hunter, Hawk, Jaguar, Bulldog again, a succession of transport and non-ejection seat training aeroplanes, and a few helicopters briefly.

Subsequently flying or test-flying a succession of light civil types, from Islander downwards.

And yes, I've never been under any illusions that I was right on the minimum dimensions for aircrew, the word shortarse is entirely appropriate. I fly quite a few aeroplanes (currently coming up to speed on a Stinson S108-2 purely for fun and transport, where I definitely need it) with a booster cushion so that I can see over the coaming, although can just manage without in the basic Cessnas and Pipers (and the Islander for that matter).

So far 96 types, about half/half as pilot or FTE, managed in all of them - albeit one or two with a bit of a stretch!

G

TheFlyingPhysio
24th Mar 2006, 21:37
Genghis

Shortarse ? The answer lies in your thighs !

Height 1679 = 13.5 percentile
Sitting height 886 = 16.8 %le
Thigh length 565 = 4.3 %le
Leg length 1028 = 13.5 %le
Functional reach 757 = 14.1 %le

Those figures are based on a UK adult male population.

TheFlyingPhysio

Genghis the Engineer
24th Mar 2006, 21:48
True enough, but the adult male population isn't what counts, it's the standard RAF male aircrew anthropomorphic tables, where I lie...

Height, 1679mm, 5th %ile
Sitting height, 886mm, 7th %ile
Thigh length, 563mm, 5th %ile
Leg length, 1028mm, 4th %ile
Functional reach, 757mm, 11th %ile.
G

TheFlyingPhysio
24th Mar 2006, 22:05
Genghis
Alas no RAF anthropometric tables to hand.
Of course what is important is being able to reach whats needed and exit with ease.
Enjoy the Stinson.

TheFlyingPhysio