PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions from a wannabe...

VVJM265
19th Mar 2006, 11:41
First time poster here on pprune. I retire from the US Navy at the end of the year and am working my CX application this weekend. I did do a search on the following questions and came up with very little. I'm a regular poster on flightinfo, and there is even less about CX on that board.

1) What's the latest intel on the 55 yo retirement? Comments in AirInc article last Aug's indicated that this is under discusion with the union. Any movement on this issue? I'll be 43 1/2 when I retire from the Navy.

2) Would appreciate any comments +/or insight from folks on the freighter side in the US as to how the commuting situation works out. Presently in South TX and need to stay put for about 2 yrs until the Mrs. finishes grad school, plan is to then move closer to IAH.

3) For those that have recently been sucessful at getting the invite to interview, how did you send the application in? I'm may be a bit old school, but I think an original paper application with a cover letter & resume make the best impression. FedEx can get it there for $40; does it even make a difference at CX?

Thanks in advance to all who bother to reply,
VVJM265

V1V2VR
19th Mar 2006, 13:20
1. Not sure about the 55 y/o thing but, with your military retirement and the fact you'll be earning well into the 6 figure by the time you turn 55, you'll do fine.

2. Commuting... SUCKS. From Corpus, you'll have to get to IAH or DFW, then pay for a ticket to get to your freighter hub (LAX, SFO or JFK). It will be a year until hired so that can help pass the time the wife is in school. Then consider moving to the freighter base until your three years are up. To really make stupid money at CX you need to move the family to HK which is often a problem with working spouses (mine is). They often cannot get work permits in HK.

3. The app... fill it out best you can in Word and e-mail it. Then finish filling it out and fax it to HK, then UPS the whole package. I took three weeks total from the time my package was received until the call came for my phase 1 (later this week).

PM me if you want some other insights.

SG

VT-2 1988.

Mink
20th Mar 2006, 03:33
Not a CX guy, so take this for what it's worth.

1. 55 retirement might change, described to me by a CX buddy as a way for the company to get the "A" scalers off the property soonest, then it might change...?:hmm:
2. Commuted with AA (for the few months I was there) from SEA to ORD - it sucked. Cannot fathom doing it 1/2 way around the world...:zzz: :sad:
3. I sent my app (filled out and printed on computer), photo and all, in the US mail. Got an email a few weeks later saying "Thanks for the app, now stfb..." or words to that effect. I'm not available (retire from USN) until Aug of 07, so I don't expect to hear anything for a while...if at all:(

VT3, 1988

TruBlu351
20th Mar 2006, 07:28
I sent off an email application (word doc provided) via the recruiting link/email on their website.

I sent a hard copy via express post including letter/resume/passport pic etc and called several weeks later to confirm they had it. Looks like it's been lost in the mail?

Anyway, they were cool about it and said don't even bother with resending it as I was already entered onto their computer system and letters/resumes didn't really mean much at the moment. You'll just need them when you get your first interview call.

VVJM265
20th Mar 2006, 10:15
Thanks for the inputs gents. Yea the commuting thing sucks, but it would be South TX to LA or Chicago at worst for the freighter side. I'm will to put up with some pain for a while so my wife can get her career going.

I think I'll send the app in FedEx and follow up w/ an email. I just need to finish the second essay.

V1V2VR has his first interview this week, good luck to him.

Mink, looks like you're not quite a year behind me, best of luck as well.

And for the record....I was in VT2 late 87. Man that seems like a long time ago!

Liam Gallagher
21st Mar 2006, 01:48
I am not on a North American Base; but occasionally fly with guys who are. The commuting doesn't seem to be a problem as you will only go to work about 2-3 times a month (you may be away for 10 days however!!). By the time you join, the Dallas/Atlanta Base might be in full swing; will that be any use??

Things change fairly rapidly at CX, so I wouldn't get too excited about flying age 55, 57 or 60 or whatever today's rumour is. Best focus on the Application and when you come out to HK for an interview, the inevitable conversations with the guys in and around the crew hotel will clarify matters for you. Without prejudging your views; bear in mind- a lot of guys apply, few are accepted and virtually nobody turns it down or leaves once they start (a strong message there me thinks!!)

Very best of luck.

PS V1VRV2 ...this six figure sum you speak of...that must be Honky dollars:D

VVJM265
21st Mar 2006, 09:50
LG,

Thanks for the info. ATL would be good, DAL much better - at worst DAL is just a long drive away. Someone posted on flightinfo that the age is already 60 but only on the freighter side.

r,

Liam Gallagher
22nd Mar 2006, 01:22
VVJM265,

Whilst there a few pilots on Retirement Age 60 contracts flying the Freighter, they are employed by ASL, who stopped recruiting in 1999. Everyone else, being about 97% of the pilots, are on age 55 contracts. However, within those age 55 contracts is a clause that states for any pilot extended beyond 55, by-pass pay is paid to both the senior FO and senior SO. Obviously, this is expensive for the company and historically they have been loathed to extend pilots.

However, with the airline expanding the company's hand has been forced and there is a need to extend. Whilst the company would love to do away with the by-pass pay, the Pilots (not unsurprisingly) are not so keen. The company is now acting somewhat unilaterally, and extending guys on a modified and reduced package almost tailor-made to each individual. Whether or not either party will lose patience with the current situation and force a change, remains to be seen.

Believe it or not, that's the short answer- clear as mud??

VVJM265
23rd Mar 2006, 10:02
Liam,

Absolutely crystal clear! :rolleyes: Just kidding but I think I do understand what you describe. Hope to have the application in the mail this weekend, I just need to finishe the second essay question...

Thanks for the info,