PDA

View Full Version : Strange aircraft at MXP

yggorf
17th Mar 2006, 21:33
Saw a very strange aircraft parked at MXP this week: it looked like a short 737, with a looong antenna thingy on the nose.
Nothing strange so far, 'xcept that it had two jet engines on top of the wings.
Looked like some sort of scientific contraption, but why put the engines on top of the wings?:confused:
Markings: D-ADAM
Anybody knows what it is?

Golf Charlie Charlie
17th Mar 2006, 21:53
It's a VFW-Fokker 614.

yggorf
17th Mar 2006, 22:16
GCC,thanks a lot!

Rainboe
17th Mar 2006, 23:05
<<but why put the engines on top of the wings?>>

Let's see:
Less ground clearance needed, so shorter, lighter undercarriage. Easier access to cabin.
Noise shielding of engine by wing leading to quieter operations into noise sensitive local airports.
Zero pitching moment with thrust change.
Any fire would tend to burn upwards and not cook the wing
Engine up and out of the way of ground damage by vehicles
No ground debris ingestion problems
Easy inspection of the engine inflight
Minimal damage in the event of wheels up landing

......is that enough?

Curious Pax
18th Mar 2006, 06:59
But presumably the downsides are greater, otherwise the 614 wouldn't be the only example. I've often wondered what they are.

yggorf
18th Mar 2006, 10:22
On the downside, it's ugly!
For me, that's unforgiveable.

PaperTiger
18th Mar 2006, 17:27
But presumably the downsides are greater, otherwise the 614 wouldn't be the only example.It isn't: http://www.ainonline.com/Features/newbusinessaircraft02/nba_hondajet.html (although still in the prototype stage, I admit)

LowObservable
21st Mar 2006, 23:19
The original idea was that the cargo version would have a swing nose to unload the cargo at truck-bed height.
I flew in one once with the M45H screeching in my ear and the PR guy yelling that THE PRODUCTION VERSION WOULD BE A LOT QUIETER

barit1
22nd Mar 2006, 02:16
I think they built ten of the things.

Externally, the cockpit lines looked identical to the F28.

HZ123
22nd Mar 2006, 07:56
All due respect I cannot see how it looks like a smaller 737, clearly you need to invest in an anorak?