PDA

View Full Version : Getting started at 23...??

Dougie212
17th Mar 2006, 09:20
Hi there..

I have been advised that this is the place to come for some professional advice.

Basically, I am 23 and currently a Police Officer. I have always been interested in becoming an Airline Pilot, and about 5 years ago flew 40 hours towards my PPL. I left the flying school early, as I was experiencing problems with a couple of people at the school, I clearly didn't fit into their bracket. and as such was put off from continuing on with my PPL.

I have now decided that a bad experience shouldn't stop me from living my dream and trying to become an airline pilot, and this is what I wirte to ask. Does anyone have any idea of how I can get into the industry now. I have 11 GCSE's all A-C but no A-levels. My only concern is that I am 23, and I am thinking that mybe I am a little too late to be getting started now.

Any replies and advice would be greatly appreciated..

Kind Regards

Duncan Holmes (dougie212)

Superpilot
17th Mar 2006, 09:47
No issues with age if that's what your getting at! The best way forward for you would be to finish off your PPL, then start the ATPL Ground School, after a year or so and with your exams in the bag go for the CPL, IR, ME, MCC. This is known as the Modular Route. In the end you will have a frozen ATPL license which will allow you to fly for an airline as a First Officer. Upon reaching 1500 hours the license is defrosted and you can fly as a Captain. The above method I have highlighted is no different to how the majority of people go about getting a flying job. Cost from this point on? I'd say around £30k (plus accomodation)

However, I will say the fact that you have no A' Levels or equivalent sadly means that a lot of airlines will not progress your application. In the past maybe, but increasingly unlikely nowadays. All new sponsorship/mentored pilot schemes require A' Levels or equivalent as a minimum. Basically, you will have to work a little more harder if it's the airlines you're aiming for. My advice is start an A' Level or two - I hear they are very easy these days! :E

Max Drift
17th Mar 2006, 12:34
Hi Duncan

I agree that you wouldn't have any problems with your age.

What I would add is that the experience you have gained (in my opinion) as a police officer will be very attractive to recruiters at a number of airlines, especially the ones you will no doubt be targeting having completed the modular route. These airlines do not have the time or the money to invest in comprehensive recruitment and are looking for well rounded individuals with a proven track record of determination. If you achieve a Frozen ATPL, you will have demonstrated this in spades, after all, being a police officer these days is no easy life.

Again, in my very limited experience, the life skills you gain in the service, the ability to communicate well with anybody, strong decision making skills and good judgement will make you a reasonably safe bet to be succcessful on the flight deck as well as at interview.

I know of a number of line pilots who are ex-police (including myself although not working for an airline yet), many of whom came to the airlines as a second career. I went down the Instructor route and am just now beginning to reap the benefits.

Of course, just to cover every base, becoming a pilot is a notoriously risky business however I don't regret it for a minute.

Good luck.

ItsAjob
17th Mar 2006, 13:05
And who said pigs cant fly!

(sorry I couldnt help that one!)

Superpilot
17th Mar 2006, 13:34
Section 5!

cparker
17th Mar 2006, 13:39
Hi

Have you thought about the CTC Wings scheme? It is aimed at people that have wanted for a long time to become a pilot. Your job as a police officer in my mind shows that you have alot of the required leadership/team working skills that CTC look for. Perhaps this could make up for you lack of A Levels? Who knows...worth a try.

CTC is aimed at people with no previous flying experience, however, there are I'd suggest about 40% of the cadets I currently know had some form of flying experience.

Best of luck with what ever route you decide upon. PM me if you need anymore information.

Charlie

bjkeates
17th Mar 2006, 17:24
Have you thought about the CTC Wings scheme?

According to the CTC Wings qualifications criteria found here (http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/040201.html), you at least two A-levels. As Superpilot said above, if I were you I'd look at doing a couple of A-levels then trying to apply. You have to be able to stand out, and a lot of people going for ab-initio training these days seem to have A-levels or equivalent.