PDA

View Full Version : US launches major air attack on Iraq

ATCO IN THE VOY
16th Mar 2006, 16:22
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4814094.stm

Any thoughts?

SPIT
16th Mar 2006, 17:10
I do believe that the Yanks tried this in Vietnam but they STILL LOST:eek: :eek:

Two's in
16th Mar 2006, 17:23
Five minute warning for the 'George and Tony are twonks' tirade.

West Coast
16th Mar 2006, 19:01
"I do believe that the Yanks tried this in Vietnam but they STILL LOST"

I guess he did ask for thoughts without qualifying remarks such as relevance or intelligent wit.

Mike Oxbigg
16th Mar 2006, 20:51
Sadly, I feel that this will not make much difference to the situation in Iraq, nor get us all home any earlier.

LunchMonitor
16th Mar 2006, 21:08
hmm...50 aircraft, mostly helicopters, the story is that it is iraqi security being ferried not allied forces.

"A Pentagon official, who asked not to be named, sought to play down the scale of the operation against the insurgents, who gather their support from the minority Sunni Arab community, once dominant under Saddam Hussein.

"It's not precision bombs and things like that," the official said in Washington. Another said most of the aircraft involved were Blackhawk troop-carrying helicopters."

Maple 01
16th Mar 2006, 21:35
Shouldn't that be in Iraq?
Grammatical error or an attempt to be more eye catching?

Perish the thought that the BBC might be attempting to present this action as something it wasn’t………..an attack on the legitimate Iraqi govenment

JessTheDog
17th Mar 2006, 06:34
On the telly last night, there appeared far more US uniforms than Iraqi.

Excuse me if I thought this particular war had been "won". Well, didn't Dubya declare "Mission Accomplished"? And hasn't Bliar said he'd do it all again?

PRess-gang the Bush twins and Euan Bliar. Now! :}

endplay
17th Mar 2006, 08:55
It took longer than the 5 minutes you predicted but good call nonetheless

batfink2
17th Mar 2006, 09:04
"God told me to do it" :confused:

SASless
17th Mar 2006, 11:06
The British would try something like this if ...if ....you had the air assets to do the job. I guess the troops could have walked or driven up to the fight but the element of surprise would not be as great now would it?

A British Air Mobile Assault....would be a couple of Puma's lifting a section or two...envy is a terrrible thing.

whiz
17th Mar 2006, 11:56
A British Air Mobile Assault....would be a couple of Puma's lifting a section or two...envy is a terrrible thing.

What you dont realise is we would have planned the whole operation using just a section or two and most probably made less of a cluster f*ck than the US. According to the link the US only sent 1500 troops albeit some were Iraqi, did some of your guys get left behind in Mickey Dees ? :p

Maple 01
17th Mar 2006, 11:57
Actually could you imagine the air assault scene from 'Apocalypse Now' done British sytlee? Two pumas, a Chinook, some of Mr Bristow's finest on contract, a Wessex and the contents of the AAC museum - Sioux, Scout etc, would scae the hell out of the VC!

SASless is right, envy is a terrible thing.........

whiz
17th Mar 2006, 13:04
... envy is a terrible thing.

There's a huge difference between biggest and best chaps ... Carry on ! ;)

West Coast
17th Mar 2006, 14:38
Of which the UK is neither....

Ninga595
17th Mar 2006, 16:02
Back to the subject. They should really get tuck in and get it over and done with. Had enough of the BBC recycling the news about it all. Whether we like it or not, Dubya wants to fry bigger fish (the next door neighbours) so its about time he got his skates on.

Either way, I still fear although we don't want to be there, If you want to be able to afford to keep your cars on the road, then Tony hasn't any choice.

I say 'you give us the tools, and we'll finish the job!'-Churchill :*