PDA

View Full Version : The A320Rider (s)

zakpeegoodus
16th Mar 2006, 04:59
Hi!

I’m thinking of doing the JAR ATPL, I’m 33 with a 3,000 hours (light aircraft only, turbine time, but very little twin) I have an FAA ATP and a UK passport.

I would be prepared to take almost any job as my initial one in the UK/Europe, but I am starting to get the impression that I would need to pay for a type rating in addition the license conversion to have any chance of employment with a European airline????

I would like to ask the people who have the JAR license, and who have failed to find work, and whom tell tails of gloom (like A320Rider), why it is they believe they have not found work…I merely mean to learn from others experiences and possible mistakes….

Details of you age, qualifications, total hours, and what you have done to seek work would be appreciated.

Is it that the people out of work are not prepared to drive around the continent knocking on every door at every airport to find work, and not prepared to start off flying a dinky little aeroplane for low wages to begin with? Or is it that there really aren’t jobs available despite ones determination?

A320rider
16th Mar 2006, 10:15
hi,

good question!!!

our problem(pilots with over 1000h)is we have too many hours.
and small airline running turbo prop aircrafts know that with 500h multicrew , we will start to apply somewhere else, and leave after 6-9 months.

this is the answer from Human ressources I have contacted. this is why you do not have more chance to get a job if you have 2000000 hours of single pilot aircraft or 200 hours.

it does not mean I have failed, it means I have not been called by turboprop operator, and I asked them why.now I know ...

this market is run by losers , and I suggest to any wanabees to run away from cockpits, aircrafts, simulators, flight attendants, airports, museum, runways, taxyways, plane models,etc (take the train instead, many intersting job opportunities)

try the RAF, and if not accepted, do something else...doctor,train driver, engineer, teacher, policeman, golfer, gigolo,...and have a life!

Eddie_Crane
16th Mar 2006, 10:37
gigolo
I'll take that one :}
Now... how do I go about finding customers :E..

mad_jock
16th Mar 2006, 11:23
A320 I don't think the 1000-2000hrs is actually a problem in the UK. There were quite a few instructors out there with those hours, the average is dropping quite quickly.

If you put the work in, network and all that other good stuff you will have as good chance as anyone else. Aussies and Kiwi's have quite a good reputation the UK. If you have reasonable IFR time you might be pretty useful for a single crew air taxi operator.

You don't want to get into the trap of being seen as a shiny jet wannabie. In my opinion nothing more likely to put off TP operators than seeing a MCC on a 737 sim.

I would be prepared to take almost any job as my initial one in the UK/Europe, but I am starting to get the impression that I would need to pay for a type rating in addition the license conversion to have any chance of employment with a European airline????

The first statement says to me that you would proberly succeed. The second statement is untrue. In fact if you go for the wrong rating in can cause you more problems than it solves as A320 has found out.

Seneca six
16th Mar 2006, 11:26
Well not all is bad... and things can go right if you work hard for it..

After my integrated flight training i was unemployed for one month, then entered the selection with a major airline and got accepted..

I only had 250 flying hours...

So good things can happen.

Cheers.

Jumbo744
16th Mar 2006, 12:58
hi,

our problem(pilots with over 1000h)is we have too many hours.
and small airline running turbo prop aircrafts know that with 500h multicrew , we will start to apply somewhere else, and leave after 6-9 months.

I know a friend who had the same problem. So he bought another logbook, logged half of his hours and made them certified by an instructor he was friend with.

Send Clowns
16th Mar 2006, 18:46
No requirement to certify hours. That is done on forms whenever you complete a course, forms sent with your application for a licence. However this means that the CAA has a record of your hours at certain points in your career.

I have only ever heard of one company that wanted low-hour pilots and ignore dCVs of people with too many. They actually also recruited 1500-2000 hour pilots who could get into the left seat more quickly, just were not interested between about 350 and 1500.