PDA

View Full Version : Navy goes non-smoking what about the RAF?

Navaleye
15th Mar 2006, 18:17
Link here. (http://navynews.co.uk/articles/2006/0603/0006031501.asp)

Personally I think its a good idea, but I know many will disagree. So the days of strolling round the quarterdeck on a cushion of fag butts has come to an end!

Pontius Navigator
15th Mar 2006, 18:27
Bloody difficult. I make he who puts fag ends down the drain clean the drain.

How do you police a no smoking ban? On a boat it would be dead easy. On a ship somewhat less so. On a 5 000 acre airfield . . .

tier2commando
Same rules tri service no smoking on mod property especially indoors, designated smoking areas only. Smoking banned in all messes including the bar, sqn bars , naafi, etc. In the future limited smoking rooms availble in accomodation rooms. as per hotels ie smoking floors.

BEagle
"So the days of strolling round the quarterdeck on a cushion of fag butts...."

Are you sure you're talking about smoking? Or some other quaint naval tradition?

:p

Tourist
15th Mar 2006, 18:57
You do seem to bring up the Homo thing very regularly BUgle.
......methinks the lady doth protest too much?
though to be fair, with your advancing years I doubt you can remember which way you swing.:E

Bruiser Loose
16th Mar 2006, 02:01
Navaleye, the quarterdeck will still be used as the designated smoking area. When the ship is at flying stations or the weather is pump, another area will have to be used. Signal deck has been banded around, so the OOW can police who is on the upperdeck, esp. in bad weather.

Oggin Aviator
16th Mar 2006, 06:30
If a sailor wants a tab they will find somewhere to have one.

Kitbag
16th Mar 2006, 06:53
That old dinosoar the NHS has been running a Quit Smoking campaign for some time, the RAF has been running smoking cessation clinics for quite a while too, including giving away nicotine patch thingies for free. Seems the Senior Service is only just starting to catch up with the aspirations of the newest, most advanced, forward thinking Service. :ok:

BEagle
16th Mar 2006, 07:05
Sorry to disappoint you, Touwrist, but golden rivets, turns in the barrel and stokers' daisy chains are entirely the province of you jolly jacks...

Tanewha
16th Mar 2006, 08:38
Surely we are grown up enough to decide whether or not we want to smoke. On a recent trip to Buckingham Palace there were ashtrays everywhere and apparently the Queen likes to see people smoking. Probably because she likes to see people enjoying themselves.

juliet
16th Mar 2006, 09:27
im sure most of us are grown up enough to decide whether or not to smoke tanewha. the problem is you cant smoke without affecting others around you, and personally i dont want to have smoke forced into my lungs purely for your pleasure!

Door Slider
16th Mar 2006, 10:30
People who wish to smoke will always have the right to smoke which is only fair. However, by introducing laws to help prevent non smokers being affected by passive smoking is also fair and a step in the right direction. If you wish to damage your health crack on and do it outside or in a designated area, leave me to breath smoke free air and go home at the end of the night withought smelling like your ashtray.
Many states in the US have been doing this for years, dont see why its such a big fuss here?