PDA

View Full Version : Training in the USA (incl Florida!)

Killol
6th Jan 2006, 10:02
Hi people...!

I'm thinking of doing my flight training in FLORIDA.

I'd like to make it to a commerical pilot's license (CPL) with multi-engine (MER) and instrument ratings (IR).

Any SPECIFIC flight training INSTITUTES you could recommend?

What about accomodation?

I got a budget of about $30,000...

I'm an Indian student looking to bag about 200 hours.

Thanks...

happyhamster
7th Jan 2006, 09:27
Just remember, you get what you pay for. Some of the aircraft at the cheaper schools are just simply sh1t heaps. I was disgusted by the state of some of the aircraft in FL and was seriously concerned about their safety. So as Cilla would say, a lorra lorra dogs !

d2k73
7th Jan 2006, 18:29
Have you got a PPL? Or are you starting from scratch?
Here is a breakdown of costs from Naples Air Center:

JAA PPL-$5750
MER-$2313
JAA ME CPL-$6965
CPL Flight exam fee-$1172
FAA IR- $5805
JAA IR Conversion-$7900
TOTAL- $29905

I hope this is of some help to you!

*I dont work for NAC nor have i, i got prices and info from www.naples-air-center.com*

NCB
7th Jan 2006, 20:08
I could not agree more with happyhamster.....

I worked for a school in Southern Florida, and some of those aircrafts where really crappy and have scared me more than once! One day I discovered oil floating in the RPM gauge, taxied back to the school and told them....... they told me that it was not dangerous and it had been like that for a while (about 7 years!!!)..... they even joked about it, saying it would be an backup attitude indicator!!!!

So be carefull!! I have heard good things about Naples!!

Best of luck!!

B200Drvr
8th Jan 2006, 08:51
Checkout www.flyaviator.com
I went there and it was a good school, all multi engine flying for the same price as most other schools single engine. They also have a purpose built 200hr program, which is what I did.

Farrell
8th Jan 2006, 15:54
First of all, make sure that you can get a Class One medical. Whilst you may be able to get an FAA one, be sure that you will pass the Indian one! No point in spending all your money if you are medically inapt!

bolty_1000
8th Jan 2006, 18:54
I went to EFT in Fort Pierce Florida. JAR school with great instuctors.....def worth a look!!
www.flyeft.com

v2-Rotate
11th Jan 2006, 16:35
Thanks for this SHARPPOINT,

Can you PM more details about the condo accomodation, how do i organise it? do you do it when your there or have to book in advance? This was one thing concerning me, going out there for 10 weeks or so i dont want to stay in a flea pit!

Also was naples the only school you trained at in the US or were there others to attended?If so what were your thoughts compared to NAC?

Thanks

v2-Rotate
11th Jan 2006, 16:47
Start of April i hope for 10 weeks or so.

Want to get all my PPL exams done before i go so i can enjoy my flying!

What about you?

v2-Rotate
11th Jan 2006, 17:27
The accom does seem expensive! Even the wellesley hotel (motel) is rated just about the worst hotel in Naples on Tripadvisor.com (out of 54 hotels)

I would be interested to find out more about the condo's.

Can anyone help?

d2k73
11th Jan 2006, 17:33
Try http://www.forrent.com there seems to be some cheap places on that! If you share with 3 people u can get an apartment for about $350p/m each or even less. Or even try some of those roommates websites with people looking for people to rent a room off them.Hope this helps...

v2-Rotate
11th Jan 2006, 21:11
Thanks this is all really helpful!

Its not making my decision any easier though, has anyone else been to NAC and another US schools that they can compare. East or West Coast.

Does anyone know what any of the the west coast schools are like?

v2-Rotate
11th Jan 2006, 21:25
What training did you do at EFT?

How did you find them?

Frank Furillo
12th Jan 2006, 12:30
I have been to both east and west coast. I did my PPl at Naples, with London Avaition, through Multiflight in Leeds. the aircraft were okay, all had two working Comms and GPS as well. I did my CPL and ME in Fort Pierce with EFT http://www.flyeft.com Again the aircraft were clean tidy and servicable, accom was $25 per night and that was at either student housing or the holiday trailer park they used, which was very nice. All the aircraft worked and were kept to a high standard. have a look at them and give them a call, their instructors are european's, mainly english and I found the instruction second to none.
Frank

v2-Rotate
12th Jan 2006, 17:04
Frank,

Thanks for this, have you done any of your training in California at any schools. I wanted to do my PPL and 100 or so hours in one go, in about 10 weeks but i hear hours building in Florida is really dull compared to California.

But EFT sounds like a really good place, i heard nothing but praise so far from a number of people.

:cool:

(open)

Once i have my JAA PPL I thought i only needed a FAA flight check to hours build in the US is that correct?

Frank Furillo
12th Jan 2006, 18:32
Sorry V2, but I did all my USA flying in Florida.
EFT have several cessna's, One Piper Arrow, and several Beech Duchess's.
I do have some photo's of the flight line and a few interiors of the duchess's, email me if you want to see them.
Frank

v2-Rotate
12th Jan 2006, 18:54
Has anyone had any experiences with JAA flight schools in California?

Thanks

v2-Rotate
12th Jan 2006, 22:06
Thanks DB,

This has been really helpful!

:ok:

Killol
14th Jan 2006, 09:46
Thanks loads everyone...

I'll definitely check out the places you have recommened and I'll try to keep away from the flying-junk type aircrafts...

Killol

d2k73
14th Jan 2006, 12:24
U find those pics yet 1960?

v2-Rotate
15th Jan 2006, 11:27
Nosefirst,

Thanks for this, check your PM.

V2

:cool:

v2-Rotate
16th Jan 2006, 14:45
Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated!

V2

peewit
21st Jan 2006, 19:30
Hi
I having been following this thread with interest as I will be at NAC in February on a PPL course.
Most of the previous comments seem favourable, but it obviously has not suited all students.
I am looking forward to my trip and will try to maintain a Blog whilst in Naples. This is somewhat dependent upon being able to get internet access and having the energy to write the blog at the end of the day. I will not be updating the blog every day as I want a to enjoy Naples and not be stuck in front of a computer every night. Hopefully I will be able report the NAC training experience as it happens.
I have already started my blog and those interested can see it at
peewitppl.********.com
Happy flying
Peewit

Charlie Zulu
21st Jan 2006, 20:12
The Wellesley Inn has free broadband Internet access in all of its rooms. All you need is your laptop with built in wireless technology or a wireless card to plug into it.

The general aviation terminal also has free wireless internet access which one can access over in the Naples Air Center building. Again you need your own laptop etc etc...

The centre of Naples is rumoured to have free wireless internet access too... however I haven't tested it myself.

So there you go, just hope you have a laptop now!

peewit
21st Jan 2006, 20:22
Many thanks Charlie Zulu.
I will be taking my laptop but will be spending some time in the student condos, although exactly how long seems to be an unknown at this juncture. So when I am not at the Wellesley I will probably use my laptop to create a post, then transfer it to my pda and lastly cycle into Naples to find a wireless hotspot and a cool beer.
Peewit

count dingleberry
22nd Jan 2006, 07:56
peewit,
that is a very good idea ,mate!:ok:
I for one will enjoy reading it, it will be like taking a stroll down memory lane.....

davey147,mate,
sometimes they are a bit unhelpfull, but its no problem
seeing as you are paying their bills, that is ALWAYS a problem!

count d.

king rooney
22nd Jan 2006, 08:35
V2, im assuning one of the reasons why you wanna go to the us is because the ppl can be done a lot quicker than in the uk, due to the weather.
Have you thought about doing it in spain, which has the same advantage?

A number of flight schools offer a 3-4 wk PPL with British instructors, such as
www.fly-in-spain.com, down at Jerez.
The training cost I think comes out at about a grand more than places like OFT and Naples, but once you factor in US flights ((around £300) and visa charges ($337 for the visa plus $180 for registering with the alien flight student programme) it might not be too much of a difference.
Plus in europe u will get more experience of flying in controled airspace, of which there is not a great deal of in Florida. A lot of people say that someone who gets their PPL in the US is advised to take a couple of hours of instruction when they get back to the uk to get used to the difference.
Am out there myself in a week or so to do quick PPL with Fly in spain, will put my thoughts about it on pprune when im done.

v2-Rotate
22nd Jan 2006, 09:33
King Rooney,

Thanks & good luck with the PPL and i look forward to your response.

V2

v2-Rotate
22nd Jan 2006, 09:51
Peewit,

Thats a great idea! I look forward to reading more soon!

Rergards

V2

Spike001
24th Jan 2006, 21:09
I'm basically lost with what to do about the ATPL training side of things. Should I stick with training in the UK or should I risk training for my CPL/IR etc over in the USA?

I plan to start Distance Learning course once I'm sorted with my path.

What are the chances of employment when you train in the USA compared to the UK?

How many of you have actually got a job in Europe or USA generally with the airlines after completing a JAA course?

I know it's cheaper over in the USA, but is the training really as good and the a/c really that safe lol! ?

Who's got an airline job or similar since doing training in the USA?

I'm currently working right next to Gatwick and seeing the a/c during the day taking off/landing is making me feel unforfilled.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers! :D

B200Drvr
26th Jan 2006, 14:14
Spike,
You cant compare the two, they are very different. I believe the FAA flight training is more advanced and more functional in todays flying. By the same token I believe the JAR/JAA written subjects can teach you a better basis of how things fly (as well as how they have flown for 100 years, they tend to dwell) If you do not have the legal right to live and work in the U.S. then forget the FAA approach and do it as an add on. Your chances of getting a job in the U.S.with no green card are between No Hope and Bob Hope, and Bob died!
There are "N" reg jobs around and many airlines accept the FAA ATP but most of those are like Cathay and you need 3000+ hrs to get in. You will find it alot easier to get a job with a JAR FATPL than with a FAA COMM as that is all you will have untill you get to 1500hrs and do your ATP test.
Good luck

razzele
27th Jan 2006, 01:45
Yeh the aviator 200hr pro course is great !

Been there done that, very happy with that place !

I also did some work with EFT they are such a stream lined pilot factory, with excellent instructors.

razzele

count dingleberry
12th Feb 2006, 07:05
peewit, well done mate, well done!

Just one question, how are the cats, in particular Snowy and Tux?

peewit
12th Feb 2006, 12:26
I am up early this Sunday morning as the hotel fire alarms went off. The alarms are very loud and we needed a visit from two fire tenders to turn them off. It was all caused by a bit of burnt toast. Most guests had been in bed or in the shower. See my blog for pictures later.
DownIn3Greens many thanks for the tip on taxis. I see you are a pilot and live in Naples. Are you with a flight school or flying one of the exec. aircraft.
I have certainly met the cats Count Dinglebury and they seem well despite some problems with a possum. I haven't got their names sorted yet. The black female likes to come and sit on your chart and help plot the route. She lets me know if the track should be a whisker to starboard.
Peewit

Send Clowns
12th Feb 2006, 16:59
My question would be: why go to the States for a JAA qualification?

If you want to learn in the US, why not go to a US school for an FAA PPL? If you want a JAA qualification why not either do that and convert back here or do the whole thing at your local flying club? The problem with any JAA training in the states is that it is by the nature of its target market necessarily "sausage factory", set up for flying tourists trying to get hold of a licence quickly and/or cheaply, not for people to enjoy flying and learn. This is not a criticism of the schools nor really of the students who don't know better; it is just an inevitable product of the market conditions.

The focus will be on money, on speed and on getting you out with the right paperwork because that is what the client looks for, you will not get a rounded flying experience. Half of what I have learnt in light aviation has been from being in flying organisations and around pilots; there is lot you can't learn by being around other part-finished products of a training factory!

Irish Expat
12th Feb 2006, 23:11
V2, im assuning one of the reasons why you wanna go to the us is because the ppl can be done a lot quicker than in the uk, due to the weather.
Have you thought about doing it in spain, which has the same advantage?

A number of flight schools offer a 3-4 wk PPL with British instructors, such as
www.fly-in-spain.com (http://www.fly-in-spain.com), down at Jerez.
The training cost I think comes out at about a grand more than places like OFT and Naples, but once you factor in US flights ((around £300) and visa charges ($337 for the visa plus $180 for registering with the alien flight student programme) it might not be too much of a difference.
Plus in europe u will get more experience of flying in controled airspace, of which there is not a great deal of in Florida. A lot of people say that someone who gets their PPL in the US is advised to take a couple of hours of instruction when they get back to the uk to get used to the difference.
Am out there myself in a week or so to do quick PPL with Fly in spain, will put my thoughts about it on pprune when im done.
Cheers for that King Rooney, never thought about that, was looking into NAC but indeed you are right, at the end of the day you will probably pay the same. And it must be a godd school, Aer Lingus and I think BA used to send there ab-initios there, Can I PM you for some more info.
IE

peewit
12th Feb 2006, 23:51
My question would be: why go to the States for a JAA qualification?
If you want to learn in the US, why not go to a US school for an FAA PPL? If you want a JAA qualification why not either do that and convert back here or do the whole thing at your local flying club? The problem with any JAA training in the states is that it is by the nature of its target market necessarily "sausage factory", set up for flying tourists trying to get hold of a licence quickly and/or cheaply, not for people to enjoy flying and learn. This is not a criticism of the schools nor really of the students who don't know better; it is just an inevitable product of the market conditions.
The focus will be on money, on speed and on getting you out with the right paperwork because that is what the client looks for, you will not get a rounded flying experience. Half of what I have learnt in light aviation has been from being in flying organisations and around pilots; there is lot you can't learn by being around other part-finished products of a training factory!
Maybe I fall into the "don't know any better" category.
The reason I chose to do a JAA PPL at NAC was was for speed, as you rightly point out. Being over 60 years I just wanted to get flying asap. I have been learning in England for 6 months and found that it was slow progress with so many cancellations due to bad weather. I was averaging 1 hour per month over the winter and forgetting things from earlier lessons. In my opinion the standard of instruction I am getting here is just as good as the best I got in the UK. Here though I am able to build on the previous days lessons and feel I am really improving. I did all the written exams before coming out here so I do not feel part of a sausage factory. I am just flying almost every day in lovely weather. The cost saving is a factor too, and having the JAA training is purely again for speed and convenience. I did not really consider getting FAA training and converting but given the choice again I would probably make the same decision.
Peewit

BigGrecian
13th Feb 2006, 03:00

I do agree with this comment regarding some schools. However, I am very upset to think that it could be true regarding all schools. I did part of my training at a JAA school in the US and this was not the case at all! I think part of the problem lies with FAA instructors instructing JAA courses rather than JAA qualified instructors...?
For Info www.flyeft.com (http://www.flyeft.com) have all JAA instructors and I believe Naples (http://www.naplesaircentre.com) the majority are.

powdermonkey
13th Feb 2006, 08:18
Hi all,
I am planning to go to "a" school somewhere in Florida in May to lash out 50hrs and get my ME and night rating. I unfortunately haven't got a clue where I am going to go and also haven't got any idea about procedures, airspaces, routes etc over in the US. So, could anyone tell me what I can buy before heading out to get me up to speed and well prepared prior to leaving. I also want to get up to speed with flying twins, any good generic books that you may recommend? Now to the final question, which school in your opinion/experience has the safest/cleanest planes? By cleanest I don't mean hygiene, I mean knackered interiors etc.
Any and all info, without a debate on which school is best as I dare not ask that question, would be great.
I also would like to have a safety pilot for a few trips, how much can I add to my hourly cost by doing this?

Thanks in advance

-IBLB-
13th Feb 2006, 09:32
...haven't got any idea about procedures, airspaces, routes etc over in the US. So, could anyone tell me what I can buy before heading out to get me up to speed and well prepared prior to leaving.http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/advisors.html look under "regulations"
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/ (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?&c=ecfr&sid=3efaad1b0a259d4e48f1150a34d1aa77&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10&idno=14) only if you are looking for some specific regulation, no bedtime reading
http://www.flytandem.com/airspace.htm an explanation re:airspace
http://www.myairplane.com/ online charts, under "VFR sectionals" choose "miami" or "jacksonville" (doesn't zoom in firefox for some reason)

I also want to get up to speed with flying twins, any good generic books that you may recommend?Multi-Engine Piston by D Robson (http://www.pooleys.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Multi_Engine_Flying_41.html) is fairly decent, but there are plenty of others
an article i wrote on critical engines a long time ago (http://home.planet.nl/%7Eiborst/aviation/temp/criticalengine.pdf)

I also would like to have a safety pilot for a few trips, how much can I add to my hourly cost by doing this?You mean, how much it will cost you to hire a safety-pilot? I wouldn't spend money on that, you can ask anyone to come with you, especially other students, you will learn plenty from eachother.

powdermonkey
13th Feb 2006, 10:02
Thanks a million for that IBLB:ok:

gcolyer
13th Feb 2006, 12:35
PowderMonkey

To train in the U.S you will need an M1 VISA that is sponsored by an FTO authorisded to sponsor M1 visas. The process will take about 3 months to complete, the only 2 FTO's i know that are authorised M1 schools are OFT and OBA

www.flyoft.com (http://www.flyoft.com)
www.flyoba.com (http://www.flyoba.com)

Gary.

powdermonkey
13th Feb 2006, 14:34
Gary
Is EFT not one as well?
That is where I originally thought of going.

-IBLB-
13th Feb 2006, 14:43
Yeah, there are a few dozen in Florida alone.

gcolyer
13th Feb 2006, 14:50
I am not sure about EFT, their website should tell you though. If you are thinking of going in May you best book to get your visa interview at the embassy ASAP. But prior to doing that you need to register with the TSA and SEEVIS, and you can only do that after you have picked an FTO as they have to do some paperwork for you to take to the embassy, plus you need to wait for your TSA papers and SEEVIS papers to turn up. If you start now you should get your TSA and SEEVIS papers by the end of March. By then you might struggle to get the M1 VISA issued in time.

Have you also got an FAA PPL or an FAA temporary airmans cirtificate and FAA medical? If not that is another few months worth of paperwork between the CAA the FAA and FISDO that you choose to collect your FAA papers from.

Without an FAA PPL or an FAA temporary airmans cirtificate you would only be able to fly with student privelages.

If you don't already have an FAA medical then you will have to get one when you get there. And you will need to get finger printed before you can fly.

All in all you have a lot of paper work to crack on with, with minimal time if you want to go in May.

Gary

powdermonkey
13th Feb 2006, 15:48
Looks like I 'd better get the proverbial finger out then!!!
I have an IAA Class1 medical, so I thought that would cover that.
I need to convert my PPL to an FAA still. If I get on with the paperwork now, will I be ready by mid May? My last 3 ATPL's will be finished end of April, so a couple of weeks to get myself sorted and I can be off.
Thanks for all the info guys
PM

DownIn3Green
13th Feb 2006, 16:53
Peewit,

No longer flying at this time, I'm afraid...54 hrs shy of 10,000 and it doesn't look like I'll ever reach that milestone...

I'll PM you w/my phone # and maybe we can get together for a "debrief" sometime...

BTW, the toll on the alley went from $1.50 to $2.50 on 05 Feb...sorry for your bad luck...

How are you liking the cold snap?

Send Clowns
13th Feb 2006, 17:17
Big Grecian

Have you ever been to a flying club, or other relatively small flying organisation for the enthusiast? I think you will find there is a difference, a change of feel. To really learn about aviation people with few hours need to spend time informally wiht people who have a lot of experience, just talking about flying as we all do. I mean that whatever your definition of few or a lot. I know I learnt from people with fewer hours than the 1000 or so I now have, but I equally know I have a lot to learn from friends with 3000 hours.

Peewit

You are in an uncommon situation, and had you flown in the summer (or in places I have flown even in winter) you could get good continuity in the UK. However part of the problem I am trying to describe is the pushing through the course that you are appreciating. You are leanring the syllabus, but flying is so much more than that! There is a lot you only learn in the bar with Pontius's classmates.

It is probably not important to you, as any flying you do back here is likely to be in a club where you will get that atmosphere. This is the commercial training forum, so many people here will go straight to a short course in an FTO for CPL and IR, working intensively towards those goals. Some of them will still get the experience there, as some FTOs have a good social scene and a wide variety of experience. Sadly others do not.

Charlie Zulu
13th Feb 2006, 18:43
I am tending to agree with Send Clowns even though I do support training in America, I am still glad I took my PPL course over the duration of a year, at a "small flying club" with a great bar talk environment. It is where I learnt a lot of "everyday" issues in regards to flying and life in general. I've also made some great friends along the way.

There is so much one learns from other pilots, be they new to the flying scene or the retired airline captain kicking sitting on the stool at the end of the bar with their passion for aviation still burning within. To be within an environment like a club with or without a bar puts you into an environment that is only good for the foundation of knowledge. One never stops learning and all that...

Nothing can substitute the kind of learning that Send Clowns describes pretty well above.

For this is why I am extremely happy that I didn't attend an integrated course. There would be so much of "everyday useful knowledge" that would be missing if I hadn't been an active member of a flying club for the past nine years (has it really been that long?) and I really do mean "club" in the strongest sense of the word.

Although the club has since closed and an aviation academy has taken up residency in the former club house, the previous club members, the core of the flying scene at our home base and yes that does include the retired airline captain or two, still meet every thursday for an informal "flying related" chat over a few pints at a local drinking venue.

peewit
14th Feb 2006, 01:10
If I had to make a choice between talking about flying activity in a club environment or actually doing the activity in a busy airspace, I would choose doing it every time, especially from a training perspective.
Luckily I am doing both.

Peewit

Irish Expat
14th Feb 2006, 17:14
Maybe I fall into the "don't know any better" category.
The reason I chose to do a JAA PPL at NAC was was for speed, as you rightly point out. Being over 60 years I just wanted to get flying asap. I have been learning in England for 6 months and found that it was slow progress with so many cancellations due to bad weather. I was averaging 1 hour per month over the winter and forgetting things from earlier lessons. In my opinion the standard of instruction I am getting here is just as good as the best I got in the UK. Here though I am able to build on the previous days lessons and feel I am really improving. I did all the written exams before coming out here so I do not feel part of a sausage factory. I am just flying almost every day in lovely weather. The cost saving is a factor too, and having the JAA training is purely again for speed and convenience. I did not really consider getting FAA training and converting but given the choice again I would probably make the same decision.
Peewit
Hi Peewit
Quick query, I just wanted to confirm that, indeed, one can do the written exams before the practical flying hours?, can one do these exams in Europe and use the qualification in US? If so how long does the qualification remain valid
Also does this apply to the medical, could I get say , a Danish medical and use it in U.S. and again how long will it remain valid.
Is there a lot of paperwork involved in getting the Visa, and would most peolpe that apply be granted one, my only worry is being refused the M1 Visa for some reason and then being refused future entry into the States for other reasons as a result, in the future, Cheers! IE

peewit
14th Feb 2006, 22:09
Hi Peewit
Quick query, I just wanted to confirm that, indeed, one can do the written exams before the practical flying hours?, can one do these exams in Europe and use the qualification in US? If so how long does the qualification remain valid
Also does this apply to the medical, could I get say , a Danish medical and use it in U.S. and again how long will it remain valid.
Is there a lot of paperwork involved in getting the Visa, and would most peolpe that apply be granted one, my only worry is being refused the M1 Visa for some reason and then being refused future entry into the States for other reasons as a result, in the future, Cheers! IE
Hi IE
I am doing the JAA PPL and completed all my CAA written exams in England before coming out. There is a student here from Denmark also doing JAA PPL at NAC and the exams he did in Copenhagen were not accepted although I do not know why, so he is doing the CAA exams again (all seven). There is also a student from Cork and he is here for a year and he had not done any pre-study and is doing the FAA course and groundschool.
I will ask Torsten where he got his medical (probably Copenhagen) but I would have thought that as long as it is with a properly approved doctor it would be acceptable here.
Lastly there is quite a lot of paperwork, and a lot of fees in getting the M1 Visa. If you enroll with NAC they send you a very good guide that tells you what you need to do. A lot of forms you get from, and file on the internet. They do take a while to fill in. I guess that they are looking at your background to make sure you are a "good person" and also that you have ties outside the US and are likely to return home after the training. You need to attend an interview at a US embassy. My interview was in London. I had to arrive at a specific time. I waited 2 hours to get my documentation checked and then another 2 hours for the interview that took 2 minutes. Then I paid a fee for a courier to return my passport with the visa in it after a few days.
I suppose this could be tedious for someone in a hurry to get a visa but in my case it was just part of the many processes involved in PPL training.
NAC arrange the fingerprints to be taken here in Naples. In fact a policeman comes out to the school to do it.
Hope that helps with your decision.
There are probably others on this thread that can provide the complete answer.
I have no regrets with my decision.
Peewit

nosefirst
15th Feb 2006, 08:01
Hi,
My understanding was that, as a student at least, you required a US (FAA) medical to fly in US airspace. This is far less stringent than the JAA class 2, so should be no problem if you already hold a european medical.
I had my FAA medical done at med-fly next to the pilot shop at the airport, and IIRC it cost about $85. It took about 10 minutes. Ask for the version of the medical card with the "Student Pilot Certificate" on the back, as this can also be used for endorsements from your instructor.
Peewit - Don't bend N946AC! :eek:
I did my first solo in that aircraft and will be needing it again in a month or so. Good Luck! :ok:

peewit
15th Feb 2006, 17:36
Hi IE
If you want to fly in Europe and the USA you need to get a CAA medical class 2 and ask for it to be endorsed for FAA use. I should have done this but didn't, so this morning I walked over to Med-Fly and got a FAA student pilot medical. It took 15 minutes and the cost was $80.
I asked Torsten why the CAA exams that he took in Denmark were not accepted and he said it was because they need to done in the language of the country where your course is based. He originally did the exams in Danish and is now progressing well with doing the same exams again here but with English language papers.
Nosefirst
My landings this morning were all good. I am getting to like N946AC but I understand there are negotiations under way to sell the C152's but it should be here for at least another 6 weeks.
Peewit

genius747
15th Feb 2006, 18:47
An Faa medical is not required to fly in US airspace if you are flying on an FAA PPL based on a foreign licence. You must however have a valid foreign medical. That is the basics!!

G74

peewit
18th Feb 2006, 02:02
Peewit,
No longer flying at this time, I'm afraid...54 hrs shy of 10,000 and it doesn't look like I'll ever reach that milestone...
I'll PM you w/my phone # and maybe we can get together for a "debrief" sometime...
BTW, the toll on the alley went from $1.50 to $2.50 on 05 Feb...sorry for your bad luck...
How are you liking the cold snap?
Hi DownIn3Green
I will be giving you a call in the next few days. The flight training here at NAC has been full on since I arrived and right now I am not getting any spare time. In fact so much is happening that it takes a long time to get my blog posted every night. I'm glad we are back to normal temperatures now.
Peewit

DownIn3Green
18th Feb 2006, 05:56
PeeWit,

You must be famous at NAC...I walked in the other day and when Richard saw me he said "Are you looking for PeeWit?"...actually, I was nearby and had just stopped in to see you but you had all ready gone...

Great job on your solo...talk to you soon...

michvan
28th Feb 2006, 17:47
Hi everybody, I plan to go to Florida in May-June to do my hour building. :DThe only thing I'm not sure about is the weather.:hmm: Usually on the websites they say that it's sunny and fine throughout the whole year, however some of my friends that went there told me that actually there are clouds and thunderstorms very often. Can you tell me about your experience?
I'd like to fly every day, so do you think is it possible to have at least some hours of good VFR condition every day?
Thanks! :D

mcgoo
28th Feb 2006, 17:58
you will find florida very hot in june and florida does have some bizarre weather, it rains more during the summer than winter, you will find most days you will have a torrential downpour for about 20 minutes then 10 minutes later everywheres bone dry again.

B2N2
2nd Mar 2006, 02:11
May-Nov is basically thunderstorm season with Aug-Nov being Hurricane season also.
Sounds bad, but it's not that bad really.
Matter of flight planning and route selection.
Check satellite imagery in the morning to see what the trend is, satellite alows you to see the prevailing wind direction for the day.
You will soon find out which areas to avoid during which times of the day.
Lake Okeechobee (slightly SE of center Florida) actually creates quite a bit of lake effect. Depending on the wind CB's on one shore line with the other side being clear.
Shore line (East or West) tends to remain clear, once again depending on wind direction. It's not uncommon to see a WALL of Cb's about 20 miles inland with the shoreline being clear because of sea breeeze.
Get a thorough check-out and talk to local pilots.
Don't get caught in front of a moving thunderstorm, fly around the back-end.

dartagnan
3rd May 2006, 19:39
a friend of mine goes to flight safety in florida for his commercial, fi.(he has 5 hours total)
he think to be a fi, get a job as a cfi in the USA, when back fly for an airline or a charter...

what do you think?he has no work permit....

aus
28th Jun 2006, 22:14
I'm italian with usa passport.I'm goingto attend flight training in florida...anyone could tell me something about N.C.A. , Delta Connection Academy or PEA (phoenix east aviation) ????
What about convert FAA licences to JAA????
Thanx -AUS-

mcgoo
28th Jun 2006, 22:28
theres a lot of info here

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

and use the search button for the individual schools, theres loads of threads on them

aus
30th Jun 2006, 21:51
HI everybody!
I'm Italian with U.S.A. passport and i'm going to attend a flight school in Florida.I'm going to obtain all licences necessary to work.
Last month i flight to states and i visited Naples Air Center (I didn't have a good impression), Delta Connection Academy and Phoenix East Aviation.
Anybody of you got licenceces to them???Could you tell me something about those schools???It would be really important to me to choose the right places!Suggest are welcome!
Thanx Francesco

raceeend
2nd Jul 2006, 12:17
Before you do anything, think about what your goal is! Do you want to find a job in Europe?
Then Delta and Phoenix east are no good for you due to the fact that they don't offer JAA training.
OFT offer JAA flight training and are good, but that's just my personal experience.
NAC offer JAA groundschool but no JAA training, wel they do offer, but canot give JAA training as for the moment, maybe it wil be fixed later this year.
But to enter the JAA ATPL course wich is being given at NAC you only need the FAA PPL wich is an ICAO PPL and they do train for that at NAC. So, if you want to do all your training in the US, you could go to NAC, do your FAA PPL en then the JAA ATPL fulltime residential groundschool at NAC, en then go to OFT, get you M1 visa changed to them, and continue you flighttraining with them! As to say, your FAA IR, JAA CPL and JAA Multi engine ratings.
Then you wil only need to do a conversion course back in Europe (UK) at stapleford, exeter, or where ever you want to do it.
This is just a possibility, you can also do the whole thing via OFT/CABAIR wich in my opinion gives you a good deal as wel!
anyway, my 2 cents
Raceeend

aus
2nd Jul 2006, 12:30
...I have italian and american passport,thats mean that i'm american:i don't need any visas!
Cause of that i'm planning to get FAA licences and work in USA....
I'm going to attend P.E.A. and i would like to know if anybody attend their courses or can tell me something about them???I alredy visit the school at it seems good place!

Thanx Francesco

INSIDEVIEW
2nd Jul 2006, 12:48
Well have been there, was a CFI .....
mail me

aus
2nd Jul 2006, 12:55
Hi!
Did u attend PEA courses????could u tell me somethingmore about school???I was there 3 weeks ago..and to me seems good places!Please tell me something about your experience!

Thanx Francesco!

Well have been there, was a CFI .....
mail me

davey147
2nd Jul 2006, 14:51
I got my PPL at Naples Air Center in 2004. My experience there was great, they supported me through every step through the course. Since then I have been back 4 times and plan on going there again this year.

I am yet to find a fault with them.

PM me if you want to ask me any questions about them.

raceeend
2nd Jul 2006, 19:56
Wel if you only want to do FAA, I would go to Europe American (http://www.eaa-fly.com)in Naples!
They are Very good and Proffesional, and best of all, don't try to rip you off and treat you like a customer wich you are!
Good luck!!!

Keygrip
5th Jul 2006, 19:19
Why not jst say Moncton Flight College, New Brunswick?

It's been mentioned many times before - nothing classified.

aircraftmick
3rd Sep 2006, 17:11
hi all,

Just turned 32,with a PPL i have had for 8 years and a total of 110hrs.
loved every minute of it,but it's too expensive in the uk.
I have got my class one booked for late october at Gatwick,and
hope next year to go to Florida.

First question,
At 32 is this higher than the average age to start training for an ATPL.
also, has anyone trained at or know of Pheonix East Aviation
in Florida.
They seem to be the cheapest for the package being offered.

Cheers

scroggs
3rd Sep 2006, 17:27
Phoenix East Aviation (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=237860&highlight=phoenix)

The Perpetual 'Am I too old, and How Old is Too Old?' Thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51690)

Scroggs

adam83
4th Sep 2006, 22:46
after seeing the prices in the u.k at places such as oxford aviation, i decided to look for an alternative!
my questions are:
1) Is training in the states worth anything? meaning after doing a course in the states do the u.k airlines give it the same credit as the british schools.
2) If they are worth anything, wich ones???

:ugh: thank's very much for any replys

moggiee
5th Sep 2006, 08:59
It is worth remembering that whilst the JAA set MINIMUM requirements for converting US licences to JAA licences, very few people will get by without doing 5 - 10 extra multi hours to obtain their IR. This is because the environment is so different.

10 hours will set you back a minimum of £3500.

Julian
5th Sep 2006, 11:44
Its a 15hr course for FAA IR to JAA IR.

Still cheaper than doing full IR in UK though.

XL319
5th Sep 2006, 14:22
Don't forget £29-30k is the cost of the course....added extras such as flights over, TSA/SERVIS and visa fee's and exam fee's may not be included to it's worth checking them out. There are some which do include some of the fee's but shop around. I would say add another £5k just to be on the safe side of things

moggiee
5th Sep 2006, 16:59
Its a 15hr course for FAA IR to JAA IR.
Still cheaper than doing full IR in UK though.
I know that - what I'm saying is that very few people actually manage to do it in 15 hours.

Typically, they need and extra 5-10 hours on top to come to terms with the environment.

Julian
5th Sep 2006, 17:18
Well so far had 3 mates do it and all in the minimum 15hrs.

One at Tayflight, one at Bournemouth and not 100% sure wth 3rd but think he used Leeds.

Definitely a viable option.

potkettleblack
5th Sep 2006, 17:23
Some of the more savvy schools make the transition a bit easier as well by having "relationships" with their US counterparts and a commonality of training standards which makes things to a degree seamless on return to the UK. Grab a copy of the various pilot magazines and check out the back pages and you will see a few of them advertised there.

JustinH
18th Sep 2006, 13:19
Hi,

I am planning to start my CPL course from january next year. Could you please suggest me that which one of the following institute is best?

1) Delta Connection Academy
2) Panam Academy
3) Kemper Aviation
4) Flight Safety

Please help me searching the good one or whether all are good, please advise me.

psmd0311
19th Sep 2006, 11:51
none of those, they are all well overpriced

lilpilot
24th Sep 2006, 03:45
Francesco,

As you are a US citizen you do not need to go to any of the big pilot factory schools. You are very lucky to be able to attend any so called "mom and pop" shop, that's what we call them here in the US. In most cases these are no-nonsence smaller flight schools or clubs, where you can find very experienced flight instructors that don't build their time on your dime. Plus, you can get much more flight time and experience for the same money. (a C172 rents for $74, the C150 is $46, intstructors are $18 for basic and $22 for advanced training, this is considered very cheap even by US standards) At my place we have 19 rental aircraft, this on its own puts some of the big name schools to shame.
Plus a lot of aircraft owners on the field are older people who like to take younger pilots with them on group trips for added safety, specially once you get your instrument rating. On these trips you are mostly the PIC, since these owners are not building time for any job, they're just happy to go somewhere and have you take them there on their airplane.
To make a long story short I strongly encourage you to look around for smaller schools and PM me for details if you need pointers, since some of these are harder to find on the internet.

debasser
13th Oct 2006, 21:46
Hey, looking to study in the states under the J1 visa.

Looking for a flight school in florida that will stand me in good stead for getting a job when i finish. Thinking about doing both JAA and FAA.

Narrowed it down to:

OFT
Flight Safety
Delta Flight connection

Any opinions?

Much appreciated
Cheers

scroggs
14th Oct 2006, 13:25
Read this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649) thread. Then do a search for the schools you mention - using their full names. You will find that all have been covered in great detail.

Scroggs

Dent Collector
24th Oct 2006, 08:45
There will be good and bad points to every school that you go to but I would like to share my experience with you so that if you are considering Naples Air Centre you might be able to make a more informed decision. I will begin with the bad points so that I can finish on a positive note.

BAD POINTS

Their communications leaves a lot to be desired. When you book your course with them they send you out their Student Manual. Mine told me that I started on the Tuesday. But in fact when I arrived they told me that I was a day late and that they always start training on the Monday and I should have known that.
I had also requested that I do my MEP there at the same time. I was told on the phone a number of times that I was booked in, but never confirmed it in writing. And you guessed it. No instructors available.
The first few days of my JAA/CPL went fine but then my instructor told me that we would have to get this done in two weeks because he’s taking the best part of the third week off and their was no other JAA instructor’s available. (Bearing in mind that they advertise that you should allow for four weeks to complete the course)
After the first week the constant nervous twitching and snatching back of the controls by the instructor really started to irritate me. I’m not going to pretend that I flew the perfect lesson every time we went up, but call outs like “Airspeed” and “Bank Angle” would have been more appropriate and considerably better for the confidence. When I confronted him about this I got my first glimpse of his bad temper. With a how dare I criticise his style of teaching attitude. From this point everything I did was wrong and we were no longer going to finish in the two weeks and not only that but they hadn’t checked the availability of an examiner. He wouldn’t be available until at least the day I was due to return home nearly five weeks after my arrival. I should have jumped ship at this point but it was a difficult move to make as I had brought my wife and new borne baby all the way from the UK for the duration of the stay.
I persisted with the plan that things would be better on his return and I would sit my test on my last day and catch up with the family in Miami that night.
Well things went from bad to worse. The atmosphere it the aircraft you could cut with a knife. Then out of the blue I turned up for a lesson and he told me that it was up to ME to find a new instructor because he was sick of these shower of B*******ds (the owners of the school). But that this was a good thing because all the other FAA instructors were cheaper. On the same day he tore strips out of someone else’s PPL student in front of everyone for completing his solo circuits without the supervision of his instructor. When I personally witnessed him getting instructions to do exactly that. When I tried to make him aware that the young lad had only done what he was told I then became the focus of his aggression.
Things did get a little better when I started to fly with a guy I could get on with. But we couldn’t fly the Arrow because they had only one and it needed a new engine but not to worry it SHOULD be ready in time for my 170A with you know who.
Well there are no prises for guessing the result of the 170A. He felt that I was not ready for the test because of FREDA checks every ten minutes other than every fifteen. And many more. I can’t remember the half of them because he refused to give me a copy of his notes for that day but there was a lot along the same line. Again I’m not going to pretend that it was perfect far from it. But too many FREDA checks “come on.” I have my suspicions that the examiner was never booked and therefore I was never going to pass the 170A.
I decided to contact Bristol whom I had booked for my IR to ask them could I continue with them and if so what I needed to do. They could not have been more helpful. What I needed was a copy of my training and my log book signed off. This is where they added insult to injury. On settling my account the owner who you might have thought would be at least a little apologetic WRONG. He insisted that the hours that I flew with the second instructor would have to be full JAA rates because he insisted that the second instructor was qualified to teach JAA/CPL which I suspected then and know now was a lie. When I challenged my first instructor to verify the conversation we had previously about the reduced rates he denied all knowledge of our conversation and squared up to me as though to fight. I have always tried to pacify myself with people and treat folk with respect but found myself in new territory here. I turned away, walked up to the owner agreed to settle the account including the additional charge which by now I had given them over $7000.As this would be the fastest way to get out of the place. When I asked him for my student records he said that will be an additional 4 something dollars for the photocopies. Their arrogance astounded me.
I have never pretended that I’m any better than anyone else. But I returned back to Bristol I received excellent instruction and passed CPL first time. And a series one pass in my IR with one or two hours over the minimum requirement. Which I suppose makes me pretty average.

GOOD POINTS

The weather was great.

If you do decide to go consider my advise.

• Get everything in writing. When you arrive they’ve got you by the short and curly’s. What are you going to do? Go home?
• Choose your instructor carefully. Unless you already know it all.
• Bring your own headset. They make a tidy profit out of not telling you to bring one and then either renting you or selling you one when you get there.
• If your allergic to cats DON’T GO
• If you don’t like cats DON’T GO
• If you don’t mind cats, but can’t stand being covered in their fir. DON’T GO
• Don’t ask too many questions. But if you do be prepared. They will note down their time and it will appear on your bill.
• Be prepared. You might spend over $7000 not including flights and accommodation and still come home with nothing.

The flying nut
8th Nov 2006, 09:16
I have seen many adverts for professional pilot training in the USA, one of which was in Naples in Florida, this one caught my eye and after looking at the financial side of the course it would actually be cheaper. I am just wondering if anybody has had any experience of this??:confused:

gernie
10th Nov 2006, 02:18
:confused: Hi, Im spanish guy desperate triying to find a school in US wich provide JAA training or courses for international students up to 1000h flying time, without do any conversion. Thats a very important point. As i dont live in the US is very difficult to choose the proper schoold cos I have no idea how they are.. I just can see the webs and that it not enought. So could anyone give me a hand? Please anyone knows any good one? any recommendation or suggestion?
Thank you very much guys.

PS: I will appreciate any honest opinion.

gernie
11th Nov 2006, 22:41
:confused: Hi, Im spanish guy desperate triying to find a school in US wich provide JAA training or courses for international students up to 1000h flying time, without do any conversion. Thats a very important point. As i dont live in the US is very difficult to choose the proper schoold cos I have no idea how they are.. I just can see the webs and nothing else. I´ve been looking around two in Florida, Orlando Fligth Training and European Flight Training, but would like to know the opinion of someone who has been there doing hes training. So could anyone give me a hand? Please anyone knows any? any recommendation or suggestion?
Thank you very much guys.

PS: I will appreciate any honest opinion.

lilpilot
12th Nov 2006, 05:13
Gernie,

You need to do a lot more research on the system of the FAA and the JAA. You CANNOT do JAA training entirely in the US without a conversion! And you don't need to buy 1000 hours, if you do (and want to) you should not be a pilot at all. You will buy however, training and gather knowledge and experience. So if you want to be a pilot in the EU you should do your PPL in Spain, then do the fATPL ground school, then perhaps you should go to the US to build time and experience. Then continue the rest in Spain. Or you can find the cheapest integrated course in Europe and do everything at one place, there's a good chance it might be right there in Spain or Greece. Read all the threads on aerodynamics, aerofan, adventia, egnatia and you'll see and read all the threads about conversions and you'll see how difficult and costly it is both in time and money.

mcgoo
12th Nov 2006, 12:21
Gernie,

You need to do a lot more research on the system of the FAA and the JAA. You CANNOT do JAA training entirely in the US without a conversion!
Near enough, i've done JAA PPL, CPL and ME in the US and FAA IR

you'll see how difficult and costly it is both in time and money.

Depends, my FAA IR cost about 3600, conversion in the UK is 3300, thats a lot cheaper than the 10-13000 quoted in the UK.

DrPaul
21st Nov 2006, 16:33
I'm in the US at the moment doing some hour building, which i'm nearing completion of...

Initially my plan was to do my FAA IR and Multi - then to come back to the UK and do a conversion and CPL..

However, friends have suggested that I just go to a flight school that offers JAA licences in the USA - therefore not having to do conversion courses etc.. back in the UK.

(Plus it would be much cheaper!!)

I've got an FAA PPL(A) - and i haven't actually flown in the UK at all!

If I did do all of my flying in the USA (even though getting JAA licenses) would I be shooting myself in the foot with regard to getting a decent job in an airline??

Is (or has) anyone been in a similar possition? what do people suggest?

I would really appreciate any advice or comments that anyone could offer...

Paul

dxbpilot
5th Dec 2006, 21:43
Hello ,

Just wondering how it is looked at by employers if JAA training is done in the USA. I am currently doing the JAA ATPL's and I am considering where to do the CPL/MEIR/MCC. I am looking at doing the ME CPL in the USA, and then doing the IR somewhere reputable in the UK.

Is this a good way to go or am I better off spending a extra 10,000 pounds to do it all with one provider in the UK ?

Any info/advice would be great

thanks

mcgoo
5th Dec 2006, 21:48
A license is a license is a license, I personally would save the £10,000

scameron77
5th Dec 2006, 22:00
Personally I think any employer couldn't fault any astute wannabe for training to UK standards in an environment that is 1/3 the cost of here across the board + no landing and approach fees.

Correct me if I'm wrong (there are plenty on here who will) but I am led to believe you have to do the IR in UK airspace if you sat CAA ATPL's.

If they have an issue with it then they should start taking on cadets again. As that is not going to happen so they should be content that there are a steady stream of people out there willing to self fund their own training.

Obviously a lot of people make a big deal over the RT differences and standard of training but thats mostly hearsay by those who have never ventured far from a PC copy of FS2004 or a little grass strip in Kent. Don't judge a nation with 450,000 GA pilots by a few dodgy schools.

Also remember, a person who has a bad experience will tell 7-8 people, a person who has had a good one, 1-2.

I don't see any more N registered planes fall out the sky (by proportion) than G registered ones.

I decided to do my conversions in the UK as I wanted to do so in the DA-42 and as yet no CAA approved schools do so either in other European states or in the US so I was limited. But I did do plenty of research into where I went and what options were open to me.

mcgoo
5th Dec 2006, 22:08
Correct me if I'm wrong (there are plenty on here who will) but I am led to believe you have to do the IR in UK airspace if you sat CAA ATPL's.

I don't think so, plenty of people go to Spain for their IR.

cavok_italy
1st Jan 2007, 11:25
Hi all, I'm looking for a flight school in the US where I can get my CPL+multiengine+seaplane rating.
There are many, but do you have an idea of a school on a nice location, with beaches bloseby? I want also enjoy m time there
Happy new year

helopat
1st Jan 2007, 19:09
Hi all, I'm looking for a flight school in the US where I can get my CPL+multiengine+seaplane rating.
There are many, but do you have an idea of a school on a nice location, with beaches bloseby? I want also enjoy m time there
Happy new year

I'm not entirely sure about seaplane school, but I remember that there were $hit tins of seaplanes operating around Seattle, Washington when I was there last...that might be a good indiaction of a place to go for that rating...sorry, but the water is cold in Washington state and I'm not sure the beaches 'bloseby' are any good

Jonasraf
14th Jan 2007, 22:06
Hello,
Do you know of any schools in Los angeles that have JAA flight training? And if you can tell me something about them, good and bad, it would help.
JonasRaf

KurtW
15th Jan 2007, 10:15
King Rooney,

Interesting information about Spain. How much will you have to pay for the PPL?

Best regards,

Kurt

Mal_206
18th Jan 2007, 17:02
Hi All

I'm planning on going to the US to do a FAA Validation my foreign license (South African Comm) later this year.
I've come across many schools on the net but can any body please recommend a good school in Florida to do an accelerated course.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mal

unfazed
18th Jan 2007, 17:25
OFT in Orlando are good if you can manage yourself and determine what you need to do and then get on with it (self directed with your effort setting the tone)

If you need to be spoonfed then they are probably not so good

Baboon Boy
18th Jan 2007, 17:30
There are no good schools in Florida.

florida flamingo
18th Jan 2007, 17:47
Hi All

I'm planning on going to the US to do a FAA Validation my foreign license (South African Comm) later this year.
I've come across many schools on the net but can any body please recommend a good school in Florida to do an accelerated course.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mal

You do not need to go to a school to get a validation! Check the web-site of www.faa.gov It can be done at a FSDO of your choice. If you want a pure FAA License then only you need to attend a school. Check www.eaa-fly.com

Good Luck. Stay away from the Jaa schools!

TheChiefPilot
19th Jan 2007, 17:30
A very well educated comment Baboon Boy, I assume your user name was not hard to create.

What experience do you have of the CAA approved FTO's in Florida. From what I understand the CAA standards are the same in the UK as they are in the US.

Ste1337
31st Jan 2007, 18:33
Hi all,

Im currently 16 and i have decided for definate that i want to become a pilot for my career. I originally wanted to join the RAF however i decided that the RAF wouldnt be the best lifestyle for me.

I have been told that pilot training in America is almost exactly the same as in England however it is much cheaper and they have a lot more days of flying over there due to the weather (depending on which state).

I have chosen Florida to be the place i wish to train due to they supposedly have 360 flying days each year and also it seems a nice place to live in Deland and other personal reasons.

I want to start my training as soon as i am 17 as this is when i am able to get my PPL howeveri dont know if i can get a loan to begin training at this age.

I also want to do my training almost like an education, i would like it so i spend half of my week training as a pilot and the other half working so i can get some money.

There are just a few questions i wish to be answered if anybody knows about these issues:

1. Are there any implications of being trained in America? (different licenses etc.)

2. Am i able to get a VISA at 17 in America? or a working VISA or something similar for my training.

3. Does anybody know of a company in Florida are good for training with? (I want to go with a good flight school)

4. Is there anyway i am able to get a loan at 17? Are there special companies that help with this? e.g i dont begin paying the loan back until i finish my training.

5. What is the average cost of being trained in the UK and being trained in USA?

6. How long would it take from going from no license to a full professional license ready to join an airline company if i was training 3-4 days per week.

7. And finally does anybody recognise these companies? If so please can you give some feedback on them :) good, bad anything is helpful.

-www.RAAFlightSchools.com (Florida School)
-www.PEA.com
-www.AmericanAviation.com

Any comments or help with this would be great, i am 17 im 7 months so i need to start getting things sorted out as soon as i can :)

Thanks.

Ste.

potkettleblack
31st Jan 2007, 19:48
All your questions are answered in numerous threads in the sticky at the top of this forum. It should take you a good day or so to read through all the information.

Ste1337
31st Jan 2007, 20:36
Iv been looking around the forums since i made this thread and currently still reading info its just sometimes nicer and quicker to get a direct answer in this thread so please no more "go read the other threads" posts :)

davey147
31st Jan 2007, 21:33
1. Are there any implications of being trained in America? (different licenses etc.)

You can either choose to do your JAA licences in the USA (Not including the IR) or do the FAA licenses then convert them to JAA.

My personal opinion is to do the FAA licenses first at a FAA flight school, not the schools that provide JAA, they tend to be more expensive.

2. Am i able to get a VISA at 17 in America? or a working VISA or something similar for my training.

I don't know, try the US embassy website.

3. Does anybody know of a company in Florida are good for training with? (I want to go with a good flight school)

There are flight schools all over the USA, the best ones probably arnt in Florida, but I think Flight Safety Academy is suppost to be the best (also most expensive)

Best thing to do is get a list of schools that you would like to attend, and search for reviews on pprune, or jetcareers.com is usually better for FAA schools.

4. Is there anyway i am able to get a loan at 17? Are there special companies that help with this? e.g i dont begin paying the loan back until i finish my training.

You need to speek to a bank for this, I doubt you can though. Banks would usually look to see if you have something else to fall back on to, i.e. other work experience or qualifications. Since you are 17, you wont have any, other than GCSE's.

My advise would be go to college, get a job and get some life / work (money) experience behind you. When you're 21 - 22 start your flight training.

5. What is the average cost of being trained in the UK and being trained in USA?

UK - Integrated £60,000 - £80,000
Modular £35,000 - £55,000

USA - Modular £20,000 - £30,000

6. How long would it take from going from no license to a full professional license ready to join an airline company if i was training 3-4 days per week.

If you train in the USA, you will be training 6 days per week. 7 days if you include your own ground studies too (theres no time off) I'd says 18 months, including your ATPLS too.

7. And finally does anybody recognise these companies? If so please can you give some feedback on them good, bad anything is helpful.

I cant personally say anything about these schools as I havent been to them, but do a search theres loads of reviews.

hobbit1983
1st Feb 2007, 08:36
Im currently 16 and i have decided for definate that i want to become a pilot for my career.

Iv been looking around the forums since i made this thread and currently still reading info its just sometimes nicer and quicker to get a direct answer in this thread so please no more "go read the other threads" posts

If you're certain you want to become a career pilot, might I politely suggest that you consider what the response of the chief pilot of a commercial flying organisation i.e. your future boss, might be if you said something along the same lines to him when told to find some information.

"Sorry, can't be bothered to go check the flying order book/weather/POH etc, it's nicer and quicker to get a direct answer, so please no more "go read the manual" answers".

Those threads are there for a reason mate, especially the stickies! Strongly suggest you read them.

BigGrecian
1st Feb 2007, 17:25
My personal opinion is to do the FAA licenses first at a FAA flight school, not the schools that provide JAA, they tend to be more expensive.

On the flip side the failure rate for conversions is much higher than standard courses.

Also every student I know, bar one, ended up spending significantly more money doing it the FAA > JAA way than just doing it the JAA way; and we're talking near the top end of 4 figures stirling here.

haile
5th Feb 2007, 09:59
hi guys,
I am also planning to take my training in florida.
can you tell me which school are very well reputed, as it is hard for me to get the full picture of how good the schools are by just looking at their website.
are there any schools that you recommend, those that are not so expensive and provide good trainings.

thanks a lot.
haile

tashpj
8th Feb 2007, 12:26
Were there any additional costs that you incurred that were unexpected?
How much did the entire prog set you back by?
I've checked out the cost on the website and its a little unbelievable..
Am looking around for a good school.. will be startin from ZERO... currently emplyed as a flight attendant..
Jus waiting for a Class 1 date and then will start the ball rolling..
Any addtl info you can provide on Aviator will be appreciated..

cavok_italy
21st Feb 2007, 04:04
Hi guys, do you know any good school in California (Los Angeles area) where I can seriously get my FAA CPL and ME rating? I need an intensive course, max 1 month staying. Thanks a lot

B2N2
22nd Feb 2007, 11:52
79 schools in California; take your pick:
http://www.bestaviation.net/flight_school/california.asp

TelBoy
22nd Feb 2007, 16:04
Just a quick word for all you considering training in the USA.

The FAA professional licences are NOT good for Europe.
To work in the US you will need a green card (if you are not American or Canadian of course) and you WONT get that by being a pilot.

Assuming you can legally work in the US then employers generally ask a lot more hours than in the UK. It is possible to get a First Officer job in UK with a few hunderd hours and CPL - the Americans can only dream of this. ATPL is the minimum for anything except instructing.

It is a LOT cheaper than the UK, but add up the real costs. You will need accomadation and transport. In the UK you can be based at home (generally)

All non US citizens need to get security clearance for aviation training in the US see https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/ and you will also need an M1 Student Visa or J1 Visa if you are going to spend time instructing following your training - however you are limited to working time after training see http://www.uscis.gov Allow extra finances and time to get all this in place. You also need to go to and approved flight school and cannot change training providers.

If you have certain problems - mine is colour vision, then the US is good as they will test you practically and if you pass give you a SODA waiver (Statement of Demonstrated Ability) see colour blindness in medical forum.

I did my PPL in the US and found it great. It cost a lot less than the UK. I have my SODA waiver, the weather and general attitude to aviation is great and if I could only use an FAA professional licence in the UK then I would be there now.

Keep your wits about you though and don't give large deposits up front. A lot of US flight schools go bust - get references etc.

B2N2
23rd Feb 2007, 03:51
You also need to go to and approved flight school and cannot change training providers.

First part yes, second part NOT correct.
Certainly not every school can issue the I-20 (visa application form).
A school needs to be CFR Part 141 certified before it can apply for visa approval.
Therefore "approved" school.

You definitely can change training providers.
If you do this within 6 months of entering the USA, you do not have to leave the country to get another visa.

If you need to change after 6 months you need to return to your country of origin with the new I-20 from the second school and apply for a new visa.

Schools are required to transfer you if you so request.

Dreamchaser
12th Mar 2007, 00:39
I've got my FAA PPL and am currently in the US. If I do end up deciding to go for a pilot career, would it be best I train in the US and try and look for jobs here, and if that doesn't work, convert to CAA and look in CAnada, and if that doesn't work, convert to JAA and go back to Europe?

I mean I hear ridiculous things like a Warrior costing 200 bucks/hour in UK or Germany, while u can get a Seneca for that price in US.

So for training and hour building, would it be best to get FAA licences and build hours and convert, even if there are little job prospects for foreigners in the US?

deltazulu
12th Mar 2007, 03:54
Cheaper ,for sure,
but ,pay attention to the conversion

BigGrecian
12th Mar 2007, 22:23
I disagree - it's not cheaper for sure.

The majority of my collegues who did FAA > JAA spent more money than those who just did JAA in the end with conversions etc.

Mohit_C
13th Mar 2007, 15:52
I haven't really read much through this thread but just a question, does Florida-Aviation do any scholarship or sponsorship scheme.

quickair
15th Mar 2007, 19:12
Hello guys!

I did my JAA PPL and some hours with Fly OFT, thought that they were proffessional but now I am very dissapointed with operations procedures (financial procudes exatly) from Fly OFT. Please tell me someone if has the same problem with this FTO....because I can't believe that a flight school like Fly OFT which is in co-operation with one of the better FTO in Europe Cabair can keep the money (deposit more than $3000) of a student who has finished the course more than 6 months! :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored:

BackPacker
16th Mar 2007, 16:10
I've had a similar experience with OFT. Thought they still owed me something like 300 dollars after I finished my course. Turned out to be my fault entirely; they only owed me 4 dollars or so. But I found out that they become very hard to communicate with once you've left the facilities. So make sure you settle your account before you leave (don't leave during the weekend when the financial staff's gone). I paid part of my balance with my credit card, despite the 2% uplift, knowing that, in case of trouble, I had the credit card company on my side.

OTOH - If you deposited more than 3000 dollars more than what you were planning to expend there, then something else must have gone wrong as well. So there must be more to that story than what's written here.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
17th Mar 2007, 18:45
Listen to Big Grecian, he knows what he's talking about. Converting FAA to JAA is a nasty and expensive process. Myself and a lot of other people I know have done the conversion with lot's of hours already. Everyone has busted budget badly. I trained in the US and have worked as a pilot out there and there is NOWHERE that I would recommend to a foreigner. Sure, I know schools that will give you good training and those that offer good service but there always seems to be some kind of major pitfall with all of them. Stay at home, it's not worth the hassle!

chrisbl
17th Mar 2007, 20:52
I would tend to agree, there is always a sting there somewhere, and once you leave the country, you are stuffed.

So dont go there with rose tinted glasses and dont pay up front.

purple3121
20th Mar 2007, 19:11
any input from you would be helpful. need to renew multi ir -- thanks:ok:

BackPacker
20th Mar 2007, 20:15
Did you do a search on pprune? There's five or so of them in the US, and nobody here has attended them all. But some people hold strong opinions on the schools they have visited (good and bad) and have already vented them here in a variety of threads.

Deno
30th Mar 2007, 21:12
Firstly.. Hi all.
I've been researching professional pilot training for the last 8 months. Been to flyer shows at Heathrow, read extensively here for months, visited several FTOs, spoken to many more and reckon I'm nearing a decision of where and how to proceed. If before having having done all this, someone had told me it would be so difficult deciding where to spend these vast sums of money, I wouldn't have believed them.
I hear what you have to say about training in the USA. I still remain optimistic though and am still searching for the perfect school.

This first post is really to see whether any of you would add insight to my plan.

My end objective is to have an JAA frozen ATPL with as many hours under the belt on completion as possible so that when job hunting in Europe I stand out from the large number of applicants with JAA fATPLs obtained with minimum hours.

I am currently thinking that to study full time and relocate to sunny California is a really attractive proposition. The weather is good, the air space is busy for training purposes and the cost of living over there is considerably cheaper than Oxford where I am currently.

First stage:- Obtain full FAA CPL ME...7 months...Say $ 35,000
Next:-
Do FAA Instructor ratings including Multi engine $ 10,000,
work for a period, working on the assumption that I could average 70 flight hours a month.
After 6 months that would be over 400 hrs instruction plus the CPL, so looking at over 600 hours obtained in 19 months.
Prehaps could do a distance learning ATPL theory course at the same time? Say $5,000,
Return to U.K, convert IR... Approx $ 10,000.

All done to an estimate of $60,000. I think this is realistic not including living. But that you've got to pay anywhere.

Not much cheaper than doing it in the U.K and prehaps as much as a year longer but with some distinct advantages.

1). Completion with over 600 hours.
2). Valuable training as an instructor, plus could work as an instructor in other ICAO countries.
3). Finish with dual licenses. Very handy?
4). Living costs are lower than in the U.K so we save there. (Just check out how much child care is in this country!!!)
5). The weather is a :mad: site nicer there than it is here.
6). I would be in the USA under a J-1 visa so my wife can work as well. She couldn't any other way. She can help look after us while I am using up our savings.....?

As you all know, its easy to change ones mind on a weekly basis depending on who you've talked to and what you've read that week. This is where I am now and would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance...
Deno

davey147
30th Mar 2007, 21:28
Yes this is a good idea.

The extra hours would give you an advantage over the majority of 200 hour pilots.

One thing is, dont go for the cheapest flight training in the USA, you are only cheating yourself as the standards will be lower. Go to someplace like FlightSafety Academy, who have a great reputation throughout the world, for providing high class training.

Also I would aim for doing 12 months of instructing, get a few more hours than those 600. A j1 visa gives you 2 years in the USA, use it to its full!

Have you thought about doing your JAA ATPL exams before you go to the States, this way, when you get back you can convert quickly and get applying to the airlines whilst your flying standards are at their highest, if you know what I mean.

Good luck with what you choose.

SD.
31st Mar 2007, 00:00
The route you have said Deno is pretty much the same as the way I have ended up doing things. I'll be finishing up the MCC pretty soon with around 900 hours, dual rated.

I didn't set out to do it this way, I originally was going to do everything back home after the PPL and hour building. I fell in love with the weather and lifestyle in southern California and had a great time. I doubt it's been any cheaper this way, but I've got 3 times more experience than the average fATPL and had a great time during the way. I've had the privilege of flying all over the states and buzzed around Spain for the IR conversion. :E

I can't say if the extra experience will help me in getting that first job, who knows??? I'll let you know of the reception I get at interviews in the future.

Good luck :ok:

Deno
31st Mar 2007, 08:11
Some feedback on SAA in San Diego would be great. They seem good on the phone.
Anyone with first hand experience??

Thanks in advance.

Deno

Fair_Weather_Flyer
31st Mar 2007, 18:56
I did exactly what you want to do Deno, for exactly the same reasons. Based on my experiences I would still suggest that you don't train in the USA. First you have major visa hassles that I did not have. They are not as welcoming to foreign pilots as they used to be, often downright rude. Secondly, the J1 visa makes you vulnerable to exploitation. If your training provider does not like you for some reason they can prevent you from obtaining an instructor job. This means that you often have to bite your lip. My school screwed up my bills, claimed I owed them money I did not and made arbitrary changes to my training contract. When you want a job off them at the end of training your right to complaint is limited. This is made even more difficult being in a foreign country with different laws. The J1 allows them to grab you by the balls and that is bad news for you. On the training front, most US schools are running tight on instructors with any kind of experience, in particluar those able to teach instructor ratings. This may mean inferior training and possible delays, although there will be work for you when you're qualified. Yes you'll get hours as an instructor but what value are they in the UK? Many of the airlines that used to value instructional time in the past are now defunct (BA Regional) want low how guys who'll pay for TR's (Eastern & Logan) or take cadets from certain schools (FLYBE). Most jet operators are still out of your league with only piston time. The instructional experience opened up doors for me but only at dodgy charter outfits. The only decent door that opened up was BMI Regional who have always liked US trained guys with hours. The jet job I have lined up I could have got with 200hrs!
Next up, your costs are too low and you need to budget more. Let's have a look at them. Your US costs of $45,000 are sensible and I'm not going to argue. Having said that San Diego, is a very expensive city to live in! The conversion costs are way low:-
Prehaps could do a distance learning ATPL theory course at the same time? Say $5,000
Yes, but you'll be working hard as an instructor and that will take more time than you think. You will need to budget £1000 examination fees + flights to the brushups + accomodation at the exam venues.
Return to U.K, convert IR... Approx $ 10,000
You missed out the CPL conversion as well! UK schools love doing these conversions because they tend to take loads of extra hours and they can milk you dry. Read the thread on conversions to JAA. Do you know that you will have to pay £1400 in examiner fees for these the CPL/IR and that if you fail you will end up paying again? One bloke who converted to JAA while I was doing my conversion went bankrupt because he had gone so many hours over budget. Oh and you forgot about the MCC which is another £2000. Also, this day and age you would be wise to budget for a Type Rating, the way things are going. £20,000 should do the trick. Budget for reduced pay for a while too.
I'm not having a go at you Deno; you sound like a good, sensible guy. I just want to pass on some wisdom learned the hard way. I think that you have probably budgeted half of what you might need. I paid in the low region of what I could have trained for in the UK, plus major aggravation in the process. Shipping the missus and kid half way across the world on a temporary basis to chase YOUR dream of being a pilot is a risky business that will affect their future. I'm sure you have that figured though; right? Anyway good luck with the training and best advice to all wanabees is to leave America to the Americans!

Sean H
1st Apr 2007, 11:03
If a person was to get there JAA CPL at a Florida flight school !, would they find it hard to get an EU airline give them a F/O job???
Has anyone here got there JAA CPL at OBA?
Thanks guys,
Sean :ok:

Megaton
1st Apr 2007, 11:17
I did my JAR CPL at another Fla FTO and it hasn't been an issue with any of the three airlines I've had interviews with.

pipergirl
1st Apr 2007, 22:20
Absolutely not.
I know many many many Captains/First Officers who have obtained their JAA CPLs in the US and it has not hindered them in any way.

Sean H
1st Apr 2007, 23:08
Thats for the replys....:ok:

captain_rossco
1st Apr 2007, 23:35
Few lads did it when I was there, Mr Thompson is not one for softly softly approaches, he is however, very experienced and althgough he didn't instruct me himself, you should be more than ready for Florida's CAA examiner, (Mr Keygrip I believe).

That and the fact its rather cheap!

Regards

Rossco

P.S Anyone there after Christmas is more than welcome to come side seat with myself, I could almost do with the company.
Should anything happen I'll not be going alone.

Hufty
2nd Apr 2007, 18:31
Hi - I did mine in Florida and nobody seemed the least bit interested....they certainly never mentioned it.

5N-VNA
3rd Apr 2007, 15:33
This is really useful thanks. Is anyone else researching flight schools in Florida at the moment? I'm looking at Naples so any feedback or advice would be much appreciated. One thing in particular is how NAC run their groundschool, is it e-learning or predominantly teacher based? I'm only asking as I went to Jerez last week and was very impressed with their classroom and learning centre...
Cheers

dhallahan
9th Apr 2007, 12:20
Hey everybody,
Im just about to pay my sevis fee but have just noticed that my date of birth on the I-20 form is off by a single day. Do you guys thing that would be an issue? Should i request another I-20 and postpone my embassy visit? Thanks

TelBoy
9th Apr 2007, 12:26
I would try calling the Embassy, or get another I20 if you can before your embassy visit. They can be very funny about things not being exact.

Hope all goes well for you - the US is a great place to fly.

ChePety
12th Apr 2007, 19:00
Deno, I'm currently at SAA, PM me, and i could give you some insight.
cheers

chrisbl
12th Apr 2007, 22:53
Im just about to pay my sevis fee but have just noticed that my date of birth on the I-20 form is off by a single day. Do you guys thing that would be an issue? Should i request another I-20 and postpone my embassy visit? Thanks

Get a new I 20 , otherwise your visa application will be turned down

lekp
13th Apr 2007, 06:03
I have seen that this school
http://www.riversideflightcenter.com/indiantraining/index.html
are DGCA compliant
"DGCA compliant - Our programs have been specifically designed for the Indian pilot for simple conversion "
It's in Oklahoma.

caliph
13th Apr 2007, 19:16
lekp,

Thanks for your prompt suggestion....:ok: , the website seems to be giving a good scenario in this place and cost effective as well; I was wondering do you had any personal experience or idea of this place or any more suggestions to have second option available.

Thanks in advance.

G-HALE
14th Apr 2007, 18:28
Hi to all.
This is my first post on the site.
I am a holder of a PPL which i got at a JAA florida flight school.
I am thinking of going back to Florida after my ATPL theroy is complete to do some hour building, FAA single IR and JAA CPL ME.
I am just curious, when it comes to Interview time at an airline, will they think i am of poor standard when they see on my CV that i got my JAA CPL in Florida?
I often hear people at home telling me im wasting my money going to Florida casue its only a Lucky bag licence!
Thanks for replys.

davey147
14th Apr 2007, 19:34
Definately not!

70% of pilots do some or the majority of the training in the USA.

Oxford students who are considered the best in the UK, do most of their training in the USA.

Most current airline pilots who I have spoken to have done the CPL and FAA IR in the USA, and they have advised me to also, why do it in the UK when you can save money over there.

pilotinthemakin
14th Apr 2007, 19:41
I'm considering the US. But not got no where near enough cash for the Type rating (737). Is airline sponsorship for this common?

:ok:

G-HALE
14th Apr 2007, 21:52
cool :ok:
Im thinking of doing the JAA CPL at OBA! has anyone done it there?

nmartens
15th Apr 2007, 06:57
Hi,
is there any good fly schools with JAA ?
I`am going to take PPL Teori , first in Denmark and then take the rest in USA.
I`am US but live and work in Denmark, so no I 20.
Hope any one know of, any great Aviation school.
Sinserley
Nmartens

G-HALE
15th Apr 2007, 11:37
Try www.flyoft.com (http://www.flyoft.com) and www.naples-air-center.com (http://www.naples-air-center.com)
Best of luck with it! :)

Keygrip
15th Apr 2007, 12:12
NMARTENS - STOP!!

The only active schools for JAA PPL in the USA are (apparently) approved through the UK CAA (though you might speak to LuftHansa or Sabena, both in Phoenix, Arizona).

The problem you may encounter is that at PPL level, the theory examinations must be done through the same national authority. At ATPL level the exams are transferrable from one state to another.

Reason is, I'm told, that the PPL air law covers national legislation - which is not necessarily JAA compliant.

birdaman
16th Apr 2007, 16:03
Have been thinking about training for my atpl with eft in Florida. Any advice? good or bad idea?

Thanks

pilotinthemakin
16th Apr 2007, 17:38
Hey Birdaman,

I've noticed alot of extra's on there site that's not inclucded in the package price. I here OBA is all inclusive. No Hidden extras??

Good Luck :ok:

Deno
18th Apr 2007, 09:11
Hi there
I would really like to talk to someone currently at Naples Air Center or someone that has just finished. I am considering doing the CPP program. I will be taking my wife and new child. Anyone got any experience with this? Would be especially interested in contacting any of the Danish students there currently as my wife is Danish. PM or reply here.
Thanks in advance

EIDW RJ85
19th Apr 2007, 03:27
Get in touch with NAC and tell them u want to speak to a current danish student, they will ask him/her to contact u. Im here at the moment and people ask for that all the time!

My opinion so far. Groundschool is excellant with good Instructors, they do there best for u. 1 mod down and exams at the end of the month, no problems so far!

Bloody_Canuck
19th Apr 2007, 05:40
I live in Canada and was looking at the Orlando Flight Training ATPL ground school. Just wondering if anyone had any info or was currently attending the program?

Thanks in advance!

Deno
19th Apr 2007, 08:25
Thanks for this. The only problem with that being they are most likely to give me the contacts of the people that have had no problems. Glad to hear that the ground school is going well. Good luck with it

Deno

acebk
23rd Apr 2007, 19:25
Hey im looking to start my training, and was wondering whats the cheapest flight school in the LA and Long Beach area?
All i want is my Commercial Certificate with Instrument and Multiengine Rating, nothing more nothing less.

Lightheart
23rd Apr 2007, 20:03
I trained at Angel City Flyers based in Long Beach. Very good. Don't know about cheapest. Remember you get what you pay for.

acebk
23rd Apr 2007, 20:10
Thanks for the reply. Im not actually looking for the cheapest, but at a good price.

What did u do at Angel City Flyers and how much did it cost?

I did some research and found Rainbow Air and Angel City Flyers.

Which is cheaper in doing what i want?

Thanks

Lightheart
23rd Apr 2007, 20:29
Did FAA PPL, IR and CPL/ME in 4.5 months. Can't remember how much it cost because it was almost 2 yrs ago.

Prices would have gone up now, especially as they have glass cockpit sim and a/c.

Training is first rate as the owner has done JAA ATPL and FAA ATP.

Rainbow Air and ACF use the same aircraft but the instructors are different.

Best bet is to contact them and ask for a quote. Good place to train because of differing terrain CA has to offer and the airspace is very busy.

acebk
23rd Apr 2007, 20:40
Thanks a lot Lightheart. Think im gonna narrow it down to these 2 schools. They seem great, I got a quote from Rainbow and they said it wud be abt 38000US. Ill try and see what ACF will quote me.

msm
2nd May 2007, 05:08
Hi!! Does someone has info on this School at Tamiami Airport? I am looking to do all my Ratings in there, i visited the school and talk to the ownwer which was very nice, he took me on a Golf car to see all the airplanes the school had, i also talk with some instrcutors and they were cool I think it is a good school, what are your thoughts?

Marcelo

Foxcow
2nd May 2007, 05:52
Deno,

I used to be a flight instructor for Naples Air Center. If you would like the real scoop, please PM me.

ken0311
3rd May 2007, 06:00
hi, i tried to go to the naples air centre website but can't seem to get in...anyone have the same problem? i've been to it before but now can't go back in...:bored:

Gav28
3rd May 2007, 09:34
If possible could anyone shed any light on the US immigration process once you arrive at the US destination airport with an M1 visa for flight training.

I'm a british citizen going over to OFT in a few weeks and have my visa, TSA approval etc but i've heard i could still have a tough time going through immigration, is it true they will hold me at the airport until they ring the flight school to confirm?(could be a problem as unfortunately I have to arrive on a sunday evening when there will prob be no admin staff at the school).
Any comments or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sid78
3rd May 2007, 11:24
Any ideas about Delta Connection Academy? They seem to have a good program.

Cheers,
Sid.

ken0311
4th May 2007, 08:28
I'm looking to take up flying as my career and was wondering if any of you guys out there have heard of the CAPT Program in Florida and a flight school called Bel Air International in California. I already hold a PPL(A) from Australia and was thinking of going all the way to get a Frozen ATPL. I'm really just looking around the get some information on flight schools in the US so if you can recommend me some, I will appreciate it!

Cheers guys! :ok:

Congested Airspace
4th May 2007, 18:20
gav28..

There is always a possibility that US Immigration will hold you up at he airport. Have your facts straight and your paperwork in good order (visa as well as TSA and admissions stuff from the school). Contact the school ahead of time and secure a mobile or home number for a member of the staff that will be able to confirm your status. If you have this together, your wait time at immigration will be minimized.

chrisyross
4th May 2007, 20:32
Does anyone know if when a flight school say they will pay your visa if its just the initial fee or all the charges associated with getting the visa?

CPLORBUST
4th May 2007, 21:09
Went to see them yesterday, very profesional looking outfit. Not that cheap, but they do tick all the boxes!! I know two people who have trained with them, no complaimts so far!!!!!!!:)

geordiejet
5th May 2007, 10:29
I think this varies from school to school - the one I am going to *includes* all visa charges (except travel to interview), whereas my schools competitor did not include it and you had to cost this on top. Remember, there is no such thing as a free meal! It may say it is free, but somewhere along the line you will be paying for it. So again (and no doubt i'll be told I don't know what I am talking about) - look at the small print, do your research, and don't be taken in by marketing machines.

Good Luck!

Gav28
6th May 2007, 13:07
Congested Airspace....Thanks for the advice.

chrisyross
7th May 2007, 10:34
Thanks

Quite a few Florida schools seem to say visa included but when i was checking the details all I could find was the fact that they paid the initial fee.

Which school are you going to?

Mountain.View
8th May 2007, 23:11
Foxcow

Thinking along the same lines as Deno. Would it be okay if I sent you PM as well :confused:

FLYPINTU
9th May 2007, 10:28
any suggestion about orlando flight center,florida...i want to do my cpl+MER.........HOWS THE TRAINING THERE.......please post your views

Airbus Girl
9th May 2007, 15:39
An interesting thread. I, like many I know, did the FAA licences and converted to JAA. It was much cheaper than doing JAA in this country. I went from flying a Cherokee to flying an Airbus for a UK airline after training in the US. I did a conversion from FAA m/e PPL with single engine IR to CAA multi IR in under 10 hours.

As for the myth that airlines don't want pilots who've trained abroad, well, lets think about this. If you train in the UK its likely to be at a tinpot airfield with lots of training traffic. If you train in the US you are likely to get a lot of experience mixing with airline traffic, flying into major airports that airlines use, flying at all sorts of altitudes, to airports in all sorts of terrain (well perhaps not in Florida!). Once working for an airline you will spend the first 30 minutes of your day going from a very busy airport, talking to a very busy ATC, following their instructions, and getting out of the country. The rest of the day will be spent flying, yes, abroad. Hmm, I wonder what experience airlines would prefer? If you have plenty of night, instrument, cross country time in busy airspace, flying into international airports I reckon thats more relevant than doing 50 circuits at a grass strip.

As for flying in the USA, I have flown all over and although Florida is OK, you will get bored very very quickly if you are hour building. California has a great variety of airspace, airports and terrain and you will learn loads. Alternatively you could train in Florida then hire a plane and fly across to California, gaining experience of the different states on the way.

RedLiner
10th May 2007, 05:24
I quite agree. I did most of my training in the San Francisco Bay Area and loved it. However you need to consider a slightly higher cost of living around most of CA.

RL

WannabeDan
12th May 2007, 16:52
Hey guys,

I'm looking at training for my CPL at Riverside Flight Centre in Oklahoma.
Has anyone been there or heard anything about it??
They have been recommended by a pilot friend but just wondered what the rest of you guys think.
Any help you can give is greatly appreciated as ever!!
Feel free to PM me with any help or just reply to this thread if you can.

Cheers

WannabeDan

preduk
22nd May 2007, 23:34
Hey guys!

Looking for a bit of advice, sorry if this topic came up I had a look but couldn't find anything.

My cousin is interested in doing his PPL abroad.

I'm looking for good schools in Canada or America which does JAA PPL training for a good prices and offers good quality flying and instructors.

I am mainly looking for somewhere in Toronto, as I have family there but if anyone has any suggestions (even in Europe) then please fire them to me.

Thanks!

Preduk

Effee
23rd May 2007, 12:17
Moncton Flight College.

nibi786
23rd May 2007, 14:16
YES!
This place is excellent - the JAA license is the best option for a european person as it allows them to exercise license priveleges in europe...and the Moncton Flight College is excellent - not only that it is the only JAA approved training provider in Canada, and is affiliated with the big boys, Cabair!
I am currently at the college doing my commercial license and gained my PPL last year with MFC. I have nothing but praise for this place! any questions?
ping me an email :)

nibi

justjoshing
4th Jul 2007, 09:26
Does anyone know of any good flight schools in the USA,or even the best one out there.I hear you can do a full JAA intergrated course in the USA for half of what it costs here.I have searched for this but could not find any relevent topics.I do hope I did not offend anyone by asking a question.:ooh::ooh::ooh:

wannabe there
4th Jul 2007, 10:22
I've had a look on here and seen a mixed bag of reviews for all the JAA schools in the US (more bad than good!!). My own opinion is that you never know for sure unless you try, so I'm off to Orlando Flight Training in January (to do PPL only) despite the bad press. Don't think anyone can say for sure which one is the best... guess you'll just have to do your research and see which one best suits your needs mate :ok:

davey147
4th Jul 2007, 13:04
There arn't any flight schools in the USA that offer an Integrated JAA flight training course.

My advise is if you go to the States to do your training, stick to the FAA only schools, such as FlightSafety, then do you JAA conversions when you come back.

phantomcruiser07
4th Jul 2007, 13:18
The problem with doing FAA only and re converting once back in the UK is that you have to do the ATPL theory and you wont be able 2 do it while doing FAA only licenses as you'll have to complete the FAA theory as well, correct me if 'm wrong.

captain_rossco
4th Jul 2007, 13:51
Of those i know who have gone through the system, it would appear that pp/ hour building etc is well served in the states, but completion or the IR/CPL is more likely than not, better done over here, after all its this airspace you are interested in working in!

You cant do your (JAA) IR there anyway.

Regards

CR

PS. You may wish to have a scan through the Prune and see what those who converted (FAA to JAA) licenses actually thought of it, rumour has it that a fair few people take a bit of getting used to it!:ok:

davey147
4th Jul 2007, 16:37
The speed of converting licences and ratings is all down to the individual, some people take longer than others, you should know yourself whether your a fast learner or not. Most people I know have converted back in the UK with no problems, and the cost has been minimal too.

187nj
23rd Jan 2008, 11:18
From FAA to JAA

what do you have to do to convert your license?

Poeli
31st Mar 2008, 16:53
my god pls use the search function on this forum