PDA

View Full Version : 54(R) Sqn 90th Anniversary

Acamar
15th Mar 2006, 15:21
54(R) Sqn will be celebrating its 90th anniversary on the 6th May at RAF Waddington. There will be an Open Day at the Sqn HQ (recently named 'The Bryant Building' after the 1st CO), with a free BBQ and other refreshments, followed by a Dining-in Night in the evening. All those with previous 54 Sqn connections are most welcome. For further details please contact Flt Lt Rich Eason on 01522 728614.

soprano54
21st Mar 2006, 18:25
54(R) Sqn will be celebrating its 90th anniversary on the 6th May at RAF Waddington. There will be an Open Day at the Sqn HQ (recently named 'The Bryant Building' after the 1st CO), with a free BBQ and other refreshments, followed by a Dining-in Night in the evening. All those with previous 54 Sqn connections are most welcome. For further details please contact Flt Lt Rich Eason on 01522 728614.

Great news should never have been disbanded, I might be writing bollox and I will have to check when I get into work tommorrow but I don't recall the first 'Boss' of 54 being called Bryant! Anyway hope the 90th goes okay, only wish I was still on the Sqn.

L-H
22nd Mar 2006, 08:31
Hey ho, here we go.

Call me a bluff old traditionalist but I was under the impression that 54 Sqn actually started life originally as a RFC Sqn on 16 May 1916 at Castle Bromwich equipped with the Avro 504 and Be2c.

The first commanding officer was Capt E E Clark who was 'Boss' from 21 May1916 to 15 Jul 1916 when he handed over to Capt A A B Thomson. In turn Capt Thomson handed over to Maj K K Horn on 15 Aug 1916, who's medals were proudly on display in the Sqn HQ at Colt.

The sqn was disbanded in 1919 and reformed at Hornchurch as 54(F) sqn RAF on 15 Jan 1930 under the command of Sqn Ldr W E G Bryant MBE equipped with Armstrong Whitworth Siskin IIID/C trainers until the arrival of the Bristol Bulldog II.

Now then, do we assume that the current management of one of the RAF's oldest and proudest fighting Sqns assumes that nothing existed prior to 1930 and that service in the RFC, and therefore the Army, doesn't count? Don't think so! If so a precedent has been set. 54(Sqn) is not 90 years old after all but a mere 76 and consequently where does that leave every other sqn in the service now, do we just ignore all service prior to the 1 April 1918? Complete :mad: !

As far as I am concerned the first commanding officer of 54 sqn was Capt E E Clarke, Castle Bromwich 21 May 1916 - 15 Jul 1916.

Sporano 54, how's the little tank mate?

Airbedane
22nd Mar 2006, 13:54
I thought the first boss of 54 was Maj K K Horn, but I stand corrected by L-H. I had the pleasure of meeting KK Horn and his adjutant Capt Charlie at 54th's 60th aniversary at Colt in 76. Magic old guy's, both of them. Both were guests at the dinner, Capt Charlie spoke. I forget most of his speach, but I'll always remember this quip: "...in retrospect, it was a rather silly thng to do, but it was a rather drunken night in the mess and after all, I did win the bet. I also believe I am the only pilot ever to have flown a Sopwith Pup stark-naked over the western front!".

We hosted other WW1 vets on the Sunday. When showing them around our shiney new Jags, one remarked: "How often do you crash your machines, young lad". "Not very often at all, I replied. "Really", he said "We used to crash ours every day............!".

Bill Hooper was there too, the creator of Pilot Officer Prune. He drew a super cartoon Menu that sat framed in the crew room for many years after.

Magic days!

Best of Luck with the reunion,

Airbedane,
Pilot
54 Sqn
1975 - 78

johnfairr
22nd Mar 2006, 14:15
When 111 Sqn re-formed on the mighty F-4 in 1974, they used the FGR2s that had been flown previously by the then moving to Coltishall 54 Sqn. I seem to remember a wonderful cartoon in the Coningsby station mag at the time of a pilot, dressed for flight, dropping off his flight-suited nav on a shelf in the stores and the caption reading "Surplus to Requirements". 'Twould look good if they could find it again for the 90th.

All the best, chaps, have a great anniversary

jf

soprano54
22nd Mar 2006, 18:37
Cheers L-H!

I was warned off by a fellow 'Soprano' that you had posted a reply, I checked my notes today and I could only go as far back as Maj Horn - not a very PC name for todays Army! The not so little tank is fine, so are the other 43!

Audax