PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Requirements

james_t
15th Mar 2006, 14:59
Hey everyone,

I am interested in obtaining my JAA PPL and maybe going further but I have a hearing disability. I am almost completely deaf in my left ear but my right ear is perfect (as anyone else's who can hear properly!). I just wondered what my chances were of passing the class 2 medical or even the class 1?

Surely if I can show I can operate an aircraft effectively despite this hearing impairment, there shouldn't be any problem. I lead a perfectly normal life and only have the occasional problem in environments with lots of background noise.

James

H Ferguson
16th Mar 2006, 19:10
Surely if I can show I can operate an aircraft effectively despite this hearing impairment, there shouldn't be any problem. I lead a perfectly normal life and only have the occasional problem in environments with lots of background noise.

James

hi

i'm not sure if you have taken any flying lessons yet?
but the noise from the engine can be quite loud even in a light aircraft and can be clearly heard even with a good headset, interference on the radio at times can make it hard to understand what is being said even for someone with perfect hearing.
when i did my class two medical the doctor, to test my hearing, stood about 15 - 2- feet behind me and whispered something and then i had to tell him exactly what he'd said.
but the test for the class one medical it a bit more strict as you'd expect
and i'm sure you have had a similar test done
were you put on a headset and see if you can hear beeps at different tones and volumes.
with total loss of hearing in one ear i don't think you would reach the standard required for a class one.
eyesight can be rectified with spectacles and you must have a spare set with you at all times, hearing loss is different matter.

VB
24th Mar 2006, 06:32
Your best bet is to get advise directly from the CAA. I knew a guy about 15 years ago who had the same problem but held a Class 1 medical. Last I knew of him he was an Airbus captain. The CAA Medical branch are very approachable these days so get the answer from them to avoid wasting any money. Good Luck - hope it works out for you.

blueplume
24th Mar 2006, 08:53
What did you say?:}

I used ear plugs from the very first day I started flying, has preserved my hearing perfectly. Don't rely only on headsets.

james_t
20th Apr 2006, 18:06
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thank you for all your information. I've been doing quite a bit of research myself and I did get in touch with the CAA. I will need to supply an audiogram but they said there may be a way round my problem.

My own research into the actual JAA documentation shows a section relating specifically to unilateral deafness and essentially says that if I can pass a speech recognition/ATC interaction test in a simulated environment, then medical certification is recommended. A similar case exists in the CASA (Australian) documentation where if you hearing loss is more than the limits described, a speech test is given to determine whether you pass or not. I am considering the Qantas training program because I already have Australian citizenship and can get a permanent residency visa fairly easily. Not to mention Qantas fly to some interesting places around the world!

It seems things are quite promising! :)

Thanks again for all your advice.

James