PDA

View Full Version : Studet ATCO Licence Renewal

ATC_BADGER
15th Mar 2006, 11:17
Hope someone out there can help with this.

Cap 744 states "A student air traffic controller licence will be issued for a period of two years and may be reissued for a further period of two years provided unit training has commenced.
Any extension beyond this time will be at the discretion of the CAA."

So my question is.... Does anyone know if the CAA would be likely to do this? If so are there any specific conditions etc that must be met? And who do I need to contact to sort all this? If the CAA are unlikely to do this and I need to do an APC before my 2 years are up then how long would that then last?

Thanks for any help guys.

nnelgcta
15th Mar 2006, 11:29
Hi Badger, you will need to speak to SRG at Gatwick. I always talk to Mr Atherton. I have had to do an APC for my ratings and this lasts for 6 months before unit training must be undertaken so make sure if you do an APC that you can find a place to train within that 6 month period. With regards to renewal of the student license my understanding is as long as you are actively looking to remain in ATC then a renewal is always possible but keep on top of things would be my final advice.
Good Luck!!:ok:

ATC_BADGER
15th Mar 2006, 11:35
nnelgcta....

Thanks. I'm working as an ATSA for NATS just now in the short term but am actively seeking work at a non-nats airport. I've been holding off doing an APC til I had a job to use it but I was getting worried as my licence expires 3 months from now and I didn't want to just do the APC then have to do another if I don't find a job within the 6 months. I try and search out some contact details for SRG and have a chat with them.

TATC
15th Mar 2006, 12:36
nnelgcta....
Thanks. I'm working as an ATSA for NATS just now in the short term but am actively seeking work at a non-nats airport. I've been holding off doing an APC til I had a job to use it but I was getting worried as my licence expires 3 months from now and I didn't want to just do the APC then have to do another if I don't find a job within the 6 months. I try and search out some contact details for SRG and have a chat with them.

a colleague of mine tried to renew his student license but SRG said they wouldnt give him an extension unless beginning Unit training imminently. My gues would be that if you were offered a job and had a start date for training then you would be re-issued a student license on completion of an APC and any other training SRG deem to be required. If you find anythuing out could you pass it on because my mate can't get any definites out of SRG.

For SRG contacts try the SRG section of the CAA web site as a starting point

ATC_BADGER
15th Mar 2006, 14:59
a colleague of mine tried to renew his student license but SRG said they wouldnt give him an extension unless beginning Unit training imminently. My gues would be that if you were offered a job and had a start date for training then you would be re-issued a student license on completion of an APC and any other training SRG deem to be required. If you find anythuing out could you pass it on because my mate can't get any definites out of SRG.
For SRG contacts try the SRG section of the CAA web site as a starting point

I sent an email to SRG and got a quick reply from them stating that I should contact them once I'm about to start training, even if this is past the original expiry date and they can then extend the licence and allow me to complete an APC. Hope this info helps your friend.:)

TATC
15th Mar 2006, 17:37
thaks i will pass it on

niknak
16th Mar 2006, 14:10
Badger.

I don't know where you work, but if I were in your shoes and could afford it I would do the APC anyway, and then:

1) Ask your Manager ATS if you could commence training towards validation at your unit, in you own time and once validated, you be allowed to keep your validations current. All this being on the basis that you remain as an ATCA until an ATCO vacancy becomes available, and when that happens you given due consideration for the post.
I know that this has occured in the recent past at a NATS unit (no name - no pack drill), but the Manager concerned had to fight their corner to allow it to happen.

OR

2) Approach the Manager ATS at a nearby airport and ask to be allowed to complete your MER and validate there, thereafter keeping your validations current. You couldn't expect any renumeration (unless they offer!), but to avoid insurance poblems, offer to go onto the payroll for a nominal sum of £1 per year. Once a vacancy arises, you would be the obvious choice.
This has been done at several UK non - NATS units.

Either option would entail a lot of hard work for, initially bugger all in return, but the long term benefits are obvious.

PS check your PMs.