PDA

View Full Version : JAR Multi IR/MCC

Touchin' Down
14th Mar 2006, 20:04
Thought this as good a place to start as any.....FJ pilot 2500Hrs just PVR'ed. Happy with the mil bridging course (using Bristol GS) but any suggestions/recommendations on where do do the MCC and multi eng IR. Stationed at Leuchars but clearly willing to travel.

Sandy Wings
14th Mar 2006, 20:54
Did my IR 5 years ago at Exeter; they were "tuned" into the typical fast jet mates requirements. Which was good because time is money!
Completed the MCC at Leeds which was again just what you needed, but might be worth doing it on a larger platform? (was on a King Air, would have benefited from large jet experience more)
Best of luck, it seems that all the big guns are actively recruiting now! Watch out Airforce its going to be IPS 60 again!

R Birkin QC
14th Mar 2006, 21:46
Has anybody had an luck with RAFCARS recently?
GAI 1028, not sure it applies to me on a SSC.

Soiled Glove
15th Mar 2006, 08:42
Touchin' Down,

My advice would be to do the MCC bit first and then the IR. Unless you have time flying a twin engine, the MCC gives you a bit of a heads up on the procedures, instrument scan etc of flying a non-military aircraft before you hit the IR and the £s start accumulating - you are already paying for the MCC so why not use it as a pre-cursor to the IR by getting in some 'free' twin handling time. My advice would be to go for the biggest jet simulator you can to get handling experience on 'the big' jets (assuming that at Leuchars you are on F3s). There is a course at Cranebank on the 757 I think run by 2 ex-RAF BA pilots - not the cheapest course, but a good starter if you want to see how BA do it and make a few contacts at the same time. As previously stated I would recommend Exeter - they know how to get you through the IR and their photo wall is a testmanent to the numbers of RAF pilots who have successfully 'graduated'.

SG

Touchin' Down
15th Mar 2006, 17:29
Thanks for the replies so far! Yeah, recon guys are starting to leave in numbers now. On my Sqn we have one out mid year, myself next yr and another 2 end '07. May not sound extreme but these are all experienced guys.. You look at the front line now (F3) and the only 2nd tourists are execs pretty much, so overall experience is V low.

Good advice thanks about the MMC/IR. Will look into that a bit further. Have been told by a few guys now that it's worth paying the extra for a larger a/c MMC vs something like a kingair. Unfortunately I'm having to dig pretty deep into the money jar and she's starting to shimmy but sounds like it will be worth it.

Touchin' Down
15th Mar 2006, 20:19
sorry MCC....clearly I've been brainwashed by multimedia cards!