PDA

View Full Version : Best Methods for Catching Attention

pomme pilot
14th Mar 2006, 06:14
G’day to my fellow aviators.
Just a few quick questions, and please do not reply with negativity.
I am a UK Citizen, residing and working in Australia flying light singles. Holding 450tt MECIR fATPL etc. Whilst working I am studying for a JAA conversion, and will sit the exams at the end of my summer contract, with a view to returning to the motherland (UK).
Firstly is there a better time to apply in the UK? And secondly, is the system for getting an employers attention much the same as over here, that is persistence, door knocking, phoning to keep in contact etc? Or will this behaviour be met with a negative response?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

A320rider
14th Mar 2006, 13:48
if you call, it is an answermachine.
if you write, you receive a usual answer like:"no open position"
if you knock at the door, you can maybe speak to someone who will tell you:"do you have b777 type-rating?

and one of these days, after waiting 8-12 years and working in a fast food,a company will call you and will turn you down because their minimum requirement is 27years old...:{

and some of you will think: At least I have tried!!!

(I have to go, 3 bigmac to make:ugh: )

Send Clowns
14th Mar 2006, 14:00
If you are like A320, and believe that a jet job should be handed to you on a plate, getting miserable when it isn't and not wishing to fly anything less, then you might have quite a wait. If you are willing to work your way up, and fly anything anyone will pay you for then the prospects have never looked better!

I could find you an instructors job tomorrow if you had the qualifications, simply because as the instructors get hours, at the 500-1500 hour level they are pulled into the airlines or other flying.is the system for getting an employers attention much the same as over here, that is persistence, door knocking, phoning to keep in contact etc? Or will this behaviour be met with a negative response?In most cases this is a good idea, but some companies will get annoyed. I know that makes it difficult, but you can probably get more specific advice here.

You don't mention what you are doing in light a/c, which might help people to advise you.

Clipperpan
14th Mar 2006, 15:15
if you call, it is an answermachine.
if you write, you receive a usual answer like:"no open position"
if you knock at the door, you can maybe speak to someone who will tell you:"do you have b777 type-rating?
and one of these days, after waiting 8-12 years and working in a fast food,a company will call you and will turn you down because their minimum requirement is 27years old...:{
and some of you will think: At least I have tried!!!
(I have to go, 3 bigmac to make:ugh: )

That's sad but sounds true to me :ugh:

TurboJ
14th Mar 2006, 15:35
Luck favours those with an opportune mind !

757manipulator
14th Mar 2006, 16:13
A320..why dont you do the world a favour..and offer something constructive for a change? Failing that, how about you get some overtime at McD's? so you dont have so much time to spend on here:hmm:
Pomme, just so your clear, the market for wannabe's is still very competitive..as it was, and as it always will be. Having said that, there are plenty getting the call with between 750-1000hrs TT and a bit of useful commercial experience. Its quite simple, get the time, do the hard yards (door knock, phone, be the squeaky hinge etc) and the odds will be in your favour. If however you want to sit back and moan like A320, then your never likely to land that first job.

LEVC
14th Mar 2006, 16:24
As Send Clowns says , keep on flying whatever you get a job on, instructing ,aerial work, whatever, on the long run it'll pay off.

Out of 6 instructors that used to work with me about 1 year and a half ago 2 are on a bizzjet job, another one flew turboprop and now is in a jet job, another one was offered free training to become ME-IR instructor bonded for one year and he is getting interview offers in airlines thank's to the ME time e's logged and i am sure he'll be flying a jet or turboprop before the end of the year.another one got an interview and subsequent sim ride and was offered a typerating with a lowcost company of an eastern country.
Finally the other one is the only one that gave up instructing and paid for some AQC line selection bull**** or whatever is called, nearly 20k pounds, is the only one that hasn't got a job yet.

Besides once you convert your licence you'll widen the jobmarkets you have acces to.

I sugest you do some instruction in OZ if ou wanna work as FI in UK, it'll help you finding a job if you have already instructed.

It looks like the demand for FI's in UK has increased during the past year

Good Luck and do not give up or get discouraged, finding a flying job was never easy whatever people think or say.

buzzc152
14th Mar 2006, 16:54
[QUOTE=757manipulator]A320..why dont you do the world a favour..and offer something constructive for a change? Failing that, how about you get some overtime at McD's? so you dont have so much time to spend on here:hmm:

Ahhh, come'on.........without A320 this place wouldn't be half as much fun.

Seriously though, sheer single mindedness and phoning people to the point where they threaten you with a court order for harrasment seems to do the trick ......it worked for me.

zooloflyer
14th Mar 2006, 18:49
A320, you ROCK man! Hang in there I'm sure you'll get rewarded for protecting our lands from even more wannabes & immigrants!:}

redsnail
15th Mar 2006, 13:58
Best way to catch attention is really dependant on who you're targetting for work. The smaller businesses do need to see your face (like the charter mobs in Oz) whereas the bigger businesses need to see appropriate experience and qualifications.

You are more likely to stand out with an easy to read and find info CV. A CV that is cluttered or padded will be passed over. Also, remember to add the international dial code too. Quite a few folks forget this when applying for positions in Europe. Folks doing the ringing honestly have better things to do than look up phone codes.

Hours hours and hours. But not just any hours. They need to be appropriate to the job as well. At the moment, folks with +3,000 hours and jet time are being noticed. Folks with 200 hours need to have a bit of luck. Someone with 2000 hours and 1000 hours ATR time will be viewed more favourably than someone with 300 hours and a bare 737 rating. (In most cases...)

If you're lucky enough to catch the attention of the recruiter, make sure you have some sort of answering service on your mobile phone if you're flying or away. When you speak to the recruiter often you'll be prescreened before being offered an interview. Don't brush this off, if the screener doesn't think your English (French speakers take note) you won't be offered an interview. If the screener feels that you're not keen enough or basic knowledge (company and/or pilot stuff) isn't good enough, then you won't be offered an interview.

Now please don't think I am being rude about French speakers. If the company you're applying to is a "english speaking" one, eg on the flight deck English is spoken then your operational and conversational English has to be fluent. You won't have time to translate words into French and then back again in a sim check. So if it's been a while, brush up on your English.

Fancy Navigator
15th Mar 2006, 16:40
If you're lucky enough to catch the attention of the recruiter, make sure you have some sort of answering service on your mobile phone if you're flying or away. When you speak to the recruiter often you'll be prescreened before being offered an interview. Don't brush this off, if the screener doesn't think your English (French speakers take note) you won't be offered an interview. If the screener feels that you're not keen enough or basic knowledge (company and/or pilot stuff) isn't good enough, then you won't be offered an interview.
Now please don't think I am being rude about French speakers. If the company you're applying to is a "english speaking" one, eg on the flight deck English is spoken then your operational and conversational English has to be fluent. You won't have time to translate words into French and then back again in a sim check. So if it's been a while, brush up on your English.

Just out of curiosity, why French speakers ?
FNav ;)

redsnail
15th Mar 2006, 18:48
It is not meant to offend, just give a "head's up". From my company's experience it's the French speakers who have the most trouble speaking English on the flight deck. If they haven't been exposed to English operationally it is a battle for them. The other nationalities don't appear to have the same problem nor do the French speakers who've been used to an English speaking flight deck.

It would be a pity to miss out on a job just because their English isn't up to speed. Especially when it's easy to fix.

pomme pilot
18th Mar 2006, 05:35
Thanks for all the advice. It is much appreciated:ok:

Flintstone
18th Mar 2006, 09:36
But reddo, you don't speak english either :p

redsnail
18th Mar 2006, 13:07
That's right mate. No advantage to the British pilots then. :E

You seem to understand me 5 x 5s when I ask you if you want a beer. :E Must have been the time you spent in Darwin, ay brudda?