PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances?

ROI1900D
13th Mar 2006, 15:30
This is my situation:
27 yrs old, UK citizen, 3 1/2 years in the UK, CPL (OACI) with 2050 total time (C208 and B1900d) as FO. Want to convert to JAA ATPL.
I'm thinking on doing the conversion in Spain as it is a lot cheaper, as soon as I get the money(the end of the year probably).
What are my chances of getting a pilot job?
Thanks beforehand.
P.S: any comments welcome

Richard Spandit
13th Mar 2006, 16:02
I'd say pretty good at the moment... can't give you any leads, but you're not short of experience. Get those CVs out!!!

ROI1900D
13th Mar 2006, 17:30
Of course but first I need to convert my license to JAA
Thanks

BestAviation
14th Mar 2006, 05:34
You shouldn't have a problem getting a job (if you turn out to be an ok guy on top of that...). I would advice you to reconsider training in Spain though. There are some scary rumors going around about schools down there.

Now I'm not much for the rumor base and you may know more about this then me allready - just trying to give a heads up.

You may also gain some valuable contacts if you train in the UK.

Do you have FAA certificates then? If so - throw out any ideas you may have that JAA theory is a walk in the park because you have extensive flying experience. I'm currently converting my certificates now and let me tell you - FAA flying and JAA theory are like night and day.

ROI1900D
14th Mar 2006, 13:31
I want to thank you all for your replies.
The problem with me training in the UK is that it is a lot more expensive than Spain. If I had the money, I'd do it here(happy to) but as my situation is not that good I'll have to go somewhere cheaper.
I know what you are saying it's true.
Any conmments anyone?

BestAviation
14th Mar 2006, 23:03
You could also look into Naples Air Center in Florida. I know they are packing some heat here on Pprune at the moment, but that's where I'm in groundschool and actually find it pretty ok. Very stressfull at times, but there are alot of strange stuff you have to learn in a very short time...

Bonus is that you save the high cost of living in the UK and the price for the groundschool course is not too bad either (believe it is around $5000 for both modules now).

Just one thing - if you do deside to look closer into it and have lived in the US before.....Naples - the town they are located - is a bit more expensive to rent then most other places in the US. Snobby little rich town with very little "out of school" activities available....helps if you're not of the most disiplined kind though - like me.

Being able to practise your FAA certificates is also not too bad - just don't expect to have time to work on them (ex. as a CFI on the side)....The groundschool is very time consuming.