PDA

View Full Version : ATC Training in Oz - non airservices

weselfluren
13th Mar 2006, 10:10
Help!!

PLEA FOR HELP - Emigrating to South Australia in August/September 2006 and I am still hungry to follow my life's ambition and work in ATC. I realise that Airservices run the Australian network and run the training, but I won't be able to apply for a post until another two years have passed. Therefore I am interested in finding out if Australia operates an assistant scheme like the UK does - ie. apply to the tower unit/airport for the position. I can't find any further info on the web, nor any direct contacts.

Am due to arrive in Adelaide in August/September 2006, and still have the burning desire to become an ATCO, or at least involved in ATC operations, whichever way I can.

Thanks,
WF :D

Bort Simpson
15th Mar 2006, 03:57
Doesn't look like you'll get help here mate. Maybe you should try an ATC forum.

Hugh Jarse
15th Mar 2006, 05:52
Weselfluren, a few years ago the company I was working for in Adelaide was looking at training ATCO's. They put quite a lot of work into research, and if successful, would have been great for the business.

It would have been a first in Oz. A company that trains both pilots and ATCO's.:ok:

Regrettably, it didn't get off the ground. Probably thanks to the government or a particular government department.:suspect:

Good luck in your endeavours though.

weselfluren
15th Mar 2006, 08:06
Thanks for the replies - especially HJ

Thought as much that the only route is Airservices or the RAAF. Shame the ATC training didn't take off. Looks like I'll have to wait until the permanent visa is awarded before dusting off the forms. Still - will give me plenty of time to do the research, annoy the local ATCO's on a regular basis and possibly do a PPL to get some "industry experience".:8

HJ - you mentioned that the company already trained pilots.... Was it FTA or AFTC by any chance?? FTA no longer train privately, but are excellent on the comms front and have given me loads of info/links to read over.

Have posted similar on the ATC forum - but thought it might be worth trying "dunnunda" directly.

Cheers,
WF:ok:

Hugh Jarse
15th Mar 2006, 08:08
Yes it was FTA. It was called the Aust. Aviation College when I was there.

Good luck.

Albizia
15th Mar 2006, 09:03
WF, ASA will be recruiting for the forseable future, short already and will only get worse. You are right, only avenues at the moment ASA or RAAF. Even RAAF may be doubtful as long term future of large RAAF ATC numbers is up in the air.
If you go to www.civilair.asn.au (Civil ATC Union Web site) there is an open forum where you could post q's direct to ATC's.

weselfluren
15th Mar 2006, 09:40
Albiza - thanks mate!

Have bookmarked the link and will take a look later on.:D

When you say ASA is "short and only getting worse" - do you mean short on recruits or on courses? A certain UK ATC provider was a little "short" on courses until recently and managed to spin out the recruitment process for over 3yrs when it could have taken 6 months....:hmm:

Cheers,
WF:ok:

Albizia
15th Mar 2006, 10:06
WF, short on ATC staff. Age profile is such that a critical shortage will loom in next few years as people retire. I believe we are running 3 enroute and 1 tower course this year, no where near enough to cover our losses. Add to this the current razor gang cost cutting (job losses, not ATC at this stage) and you have a very depleted organisation. Have a look at www.natca.org (US ATC union site) and see some of the info there on US ATC shortages. Although our numbers are less, the shortage will get just as critical here in years to come. Even if it takes you a few years to get residency, there will be jobs for years to come.