PDA

View Full Version : 757 sim ride

ONEWORLD_86
10th Mar 2006, 14:52
Hi,

Have got a sim ride coming up in the next couple of weeks and was looking to hear from anyone who has flown, or had an assesement in the 757.

What is it like to fly?

Any traits or characteristics that i should be aware of?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated as ever!

Oneworld!!:ok:

757manipulator
10th Mar 2006, 15:23
Hi there Oneworld,
As a current 75 driver I will try and fill in a few blanks.
This is all fairly generic to jets with underslung pod engines, as such with any power change there is a change in trim. i.e. if you increase thrust you get a pitch up, and vise versa thrust reduction pitch down.
So far as flying the sim, pay close attention to the pitch attitude, this varies on thrust and flap settings, but the key thing to success and smooth flight is a instrument scan with emphasis on pitch attitude and vertical speed (this helps you pick up any divergence from your flight path)
The thrust setting of 1.18EPR for the ILS is another one to remember.
Finally remember due to the size and mass of the aircraft (sim) it is important to keep pitch changes small.
Goodluck!

ONEWORLD_86
10th Mar 2006, 15:40
Really appreciate that 757manipulator,

as i have never flown using EPR gauges, are there any other sort of generic power/ pitch setings i could use i.e. for take off or cruise etc,?

many thanks for your help,

Oneworld_86

757manipulator
10th Mar 2006, 16:23
One..there are a few combinations..but its better that you concerntrate on the flying rather than the ancillary stuff..plus thrust for T/O is calculated based of weight and temp etc....

149pax
10th Mar 2006, 16:29
did a 757 sim assesment 2 weeks ago.

1,18 is a really good figure to remember for ILS and 250 kts
1,15 for 210 kts if I remember correctly

What really hit me was because the only jet sim I've flown was the 737 with the wheel trim and the clanking sound! There is no such thing on the 757 so the trim is silent and only a indicator to show you the trim setting. It's quite sensitive though... I just know some people who had practised at a 737 sim and failed the 757 check because they couldn't get the trim right... Just be aware of that, that is my advice!

Otherwise much easier to fly then the 737 in my opinon. Much more stable...

149pax
10th Mar 2006, 16:37
Oooh and as in every plane... fly on the attitude!!!

These general rules apply for the 757 and you can't go far wrong:

6° at 210 kts
3° at 250 kts
+ 0,5° more up if you do steep turns at either speed.

8° at Initial Approach/Flaps 5 - 170 kts
4° at Int App/Flap 20 - 150 kts
2° at ILS Gear down/Flap 30 - 135-140 kts.

found some more stuff for you from my assesment:
- Although big and heavy - hydraulics! smooth and gentle!
- Use the VSI!!! It's magic!!! It tells you what is happening before the Altimeter does!
- Use the TRIM!!! A wise man once said: "Relax - Trim - Think - Act"

And finally, good luck, and be yourself!!!

euroflyer
10th Mar 2006, 19:38
The figures posted above are good ones to remember.
I would also recommend to configure early with this aircraft and I would recommend flaps 5 before glideslope interception at the latest.
The 757 can be difficult to slow down and you need to anticipate during the approach. You will feel a lot more relaxed if you configure early so remember to slow down in time!
And as with any aircraft scan scan scan. If you get too fast on the glide, get the gear down, it will get help you get back on speed.
This aircraft is powerfull so low level offs require attention.
Good luck!

ONEWORLD_86
10th Mar 2006, 21:14
Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate all the tips and hints and makes me feel that bit more confident.

Thanks chaps!!:ok:

Touch'n'oops
11th Mar 2006, 06:11
Hi Chaps

I am a 73 driver and have a sim ride shortly on the 75.

What is the flap maneuvering speeds, inc. flap up?

Can I have the first flap limit, and from there on I will call the next flaps 10 knots above the current flap M.speed.

What flap positions are there? And are there any redundant flap positions (i.e On 737 flap 2 never used)?

Are there any major differences between the 737 and 757 that I should watch out for?

ONEWORLD_86 GOOD LUCK :ok: :ok: :ok:

Cheers,

T'n'O

Richard Spandit
11th Mar 2006, 06:41
At max landing weight, 90 tonnes, the Vref30 speed is 132kts. Going up in 20kt increments from this gives a minimum clean speed, at 90 tonnes, of 212kts. The flap limits are as follows:

Flap 1: 240kts
Flap 5: 220kts
Flap 15: 210kts
Flap 20: 195kts
Flap 25: 190kts
Flap 30: 162kts

Flap 15 is normal for takeoff, flap 30 for landing. Flap 25 is seldom used unless you are near the max landing weight and too fast for flap 30.

In our airline we are taught to wait until the speed gets back to the ref speed and then call for flap - they are not to be used as speedbrakes.

Pilot Pete
11th Mar 2006, 12:38
For simplicity sake, just remember the magic 1.2EPR for clean at 250kts, clean at 210kts, Flap 5 and 170kts. Only other one to remember is the 1.18EPR for the glideslope.

Configure early for a sim assessment and get it trimmed. Be at flap 5 for the intercept of the localiser. At glideslope alive take the gear down and flap 20. Reduce to target speed and then at about half scale glideslope take landing flap and reduce speed to final approach target speed as you start descent on the glide. Watch for the big balloon on selection of flap 20; it takes a positive push forward on the column to counter and quite a pitch attitude change.

As posted by others the key to jets with underslung engines is to remember that any change in thrust requires a change in the pitch to maintain stable flight. A good way to remember it is if you pull the thrust levers back you must also pull the column back! And vice versa. Fly a pitch and trim, trim, trim. If you are allowed to use the flight director don't chase it.....they are only accurate if you are flying the correct pitch; the further you are in error, the more they 'direct' you to correct, but if you pitch to the indicated correction they will then go back the other way!!!

Keep it as tight in pitch as you can and it will really make your life easier, freeing up more capacity to stay ahead of the game. The scan is the key and as mentioned above, the IVSI is your earliest indicator of an incorrect pitch as it is instantaneous. If it moves away from 0 then sure as eggs you will soon see the altimeter start to wind up or down.

If it is your first time, or you haven't been flying a similar machine then I strongly recommend renting a couple of hours in a similar sim, as the assessment is not the time to be trying to get to grips with it, it's the time to be showing them how good you are at it!!

All the best.

PP

Min Drag
11th Mar 2006, 21:31
Hey Oneworld,

Lots of good tips here so far. I was in the same situation as you almost exactly 12 months ago. I paid an insignificant some of money for some excellent training just for the purpose of the 757 sim ride and can give you a steer if you pm me - that is if I remember to cx pms!

MD:ok:

PS it worked and have been "on line" on the 75 for a while now