PDA

View Full Version : Airlines you wish still existed

Jumbo744
9th Mar 2006, 21:23
Personally I have 3. When I was a child I used to travel with those airlines all the time. I think aviation back then was different from now, there was something more magic about it.

Air Afrique:

http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/5/8/8/0515885.jpg

Sabena:

http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/8/6/7/0417768.jpg

UTA:

http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/8/7/4/0057478.jpg

jabberwok
10th Mar 2006, 02:59
Could become a long list.

Imperial Airways
Laker
BOAC
BEA
Starways

Several hundred more from "British Independent Airlines since 1946". :sad:

bigbeerbelly
10th Mar 2006, 04:31
Independence Air
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1003480&WxsIERv=Nveohf%20N319-132&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Vaqrcraqrapr%20Nve&QtODMg=Fna%20Whna%20-%20Yhvf%20Zhabm%20Zneva%20Vagreangvbany%20%28FWH%20%2F%20GWF W%29&ERDLTkt=Chregb%20Evpb&ktODMp=Wnahnel%202006&BP=0&WNEb25u=Pneybf%20Nyrzna%20-%20FWH%20Nivngvba%20Cubgbtencul&xsIERvdWdsY=A806OE&MgTUQtODMgKE=&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=427&NEb25uZWxs=2006-02-17%2000%3A07%3A08&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=2362&static=yes&width=1600&height=1090&sok=JURER%20%20%28nveyvar%20YVXR%20%27Vaqrcraqrapr%20Nve%25% 27%29%20%20beqre%20ol%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=6&prev_id=1008437&next_id=1003415

Tiger_mate
10th Mar 2006, 06:47
British Eagle - Kemble museum please paint G-ANCF in this scheme
BEA
BOAC
Cambrian
Laker
Dan Air

It is a shame that Duxford have repainted G-ALWF in BEA colours when Cosford already have one in those colours. IMHO she should have remained in the quite attractive red & blue Cambrian scheme that she made her final flight in. I watched that final landing at Liverpool.
http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/6/9/3/0111396.jpg
Perhaps if the airlines at Cosford survive, they could be a tribute to British Independent with the VC10 in the lovely BOAC navy blude & gold scheme. "Laker" B707, "British Eagle" Britannia, "Dan Air" BAC1-11, and there must be a timex Dove somewhere that could represent the humble beginnings that many of these grew from. Though I would like to see Dan Air as either a HS748 or better still, a Nord 262.
http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/8/4/9/0245948.jpg

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Mar 2006, 08:38
The SABENA 737 brings back memories for me of the truly fantastic crews of the SABENA Friendship OO-SCA which operated out of Heathrow. None to touch them - they were the best.
Also reminded of Linair - a subsidiary of SABENA which operated in Libya in the 60s.

Scoggy
10th Mar 2006, 09:15
Is this just us all wanting to see the old planes & liveries, not that there is anything wrong with that? British Midland seem to still be doing well, but miss the old Heralds & Viscounts.

British Air Ferries - Carvairs!!! Looked great in both their original livery, with the white, pale blue, dark blue swoops from the nose, down the window line. Also the 1980's Viscounts. Nice relaxed bunch when I flew with them.

Dan-Air seems to be a popular choice. Memories of the Comet 4s (my first flight, 1972!) and the 727s. Happy, relaxed crews & pax, even on the charters to Spain. Not like today.

British Caledonian. All together now "Wish they all could be Caledonian..."

Channel Airways. Just so I could stand at the end of the runway at Southend & watch the Golden Jet Trident take off one more time...

treadigraph
10th Mar 2006, 09:49
ACE (Air Cargo Express?) and would that they were still flying Connies! Never saw them though, a bit before my time...

Tradewinds...

Gatwick in the late 70s with Capitol, CP Air and Braniff adding a colourful note.

Scoggy, just acquired a CD by Clare Torry which includes the 1970s British Caledonian ad "Let's Go British Caledonian" which she sang on... That brought back a few memories!

Jed A1
10th Mar 2006, 11:07
Court line with their pastel coloured BAC1-11's and Tristars.:D

pr00ne
10th Mar 2006, 12:00
HEATHROW DIRECTOR,

That's a Sabena A310 not a 737.

Scoggy,

You may miss things like Heralds but they took an absolute age to get you anywhere!

Scoggy
10th Mar 2006, 13:59
The old 'erald may not have been particularly quick (the Carvair was even slower...) but it's HOW you get there what matters. Style, of sorts.

More from the dust vaults of Scoggy's mind;

Heavylift - Beautiful Belfasts.
BEA - It's a Trident thing I've got.
Pan Am - Clipper style.
Brymon - Please ensure your seat-belt is secure, this is London City we is landing at...

jabberwok
10th Mar 2006, 14:49
It's nice to look back to my early days - to unravel memories - but I must admit I have a yearning to go back to what had long ended before I even existed.

If we could slip further back into the past I would like to see (and experience) some of the 1930's era aircraft. An Imperial Airways HP42 maybe of Short Calcutta. Most of all a De Havilland Albatross..

The SSK
10th Mar 2006, 14:51
From my early days at Newcastle:

BKS Ambassadors, replaced by Britannias and eventually Tridents.
Silver City Dakotas and Bristol Freighters to the Isle of Man. Dan-Air Daks to Norway, Doves on the stopping service down to Bournemouth, Ambassadors to Carlisle for 18 bob (£0.90) one way,
Starways Daks to Newquay, Mercury Herons to Leeds and Sandown.
Cunard Eagle DC6s to Bergen. Skyways and Euravia Constellations on Sunday charters. Occasional visitors Autair and Channel Express Vikings, Derby Airways Daks.

Oh, and the Tyne Tees Airways Dakota permanently parked (they also had a Bristol Freighter over at Usworth).

Now where’s me Zimmer frame?

B Fraser
10th Mar 2006, 16:43
BEA with their Vanguards, Viscounts and Tridents

BOAC with the VC-10

Old BMI with their 707s

Anyone who flew proper jets that smoked and made a bloody racket.

I'm not old, I just have a very good memory

:\

sled dog
10th Mar 2006, 19:25
Treadigraph

ACE was Air Charter Enterprises, and i remember them dropping oil all over the ramp at Changi ( a REAL a/c, those Connies ) :cool:
Horlicks and bed time now

Kieron Kirk
10th Mar 2006, 20:26
My first trip to the Paris Airshow, June 1967. A "real" a/c Air France(Modern Air) Convair 990 N5605. Wow!

Any chance of posting a photo of N5605 or for that matter "any" CV990?

pigboat
10th Mar 2006, 20:50
This one. (www.airliners.net/open.file/0353410/M/) :sad:

His dudeness
10th Mar 2006, 20:53
PAN AM - those IGS Pilots were among the best in the industry. Ever seen a 727 in a sideslip ? Witnessed the last flight from STR to THF...

SÜDFLUG - charter airline, homebase STR, killed by Lufthansa in the late 60´s, early 70´s.

ATLANTIS - anyone remembers the story of the DC-8 crew that left the A/C on the runway, engines running fleeing from the airport cause they were ordered to taxy back for an alcohol test ? Happened in STR in the mid 70´s...

BEagle
10th Mar 2006, 21:28
Memories of many happy trips from STN-FRA with buzz:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/buzz146.jpg

..until the wooden-footed wooden-headed fools at KLM sold out to Mikey-the-pikey and they started flying instead to where-the-hell-is-Hahn!

Friendly, affordable, frequent, efficient, they were everything you could want from a lo-co carrier. And no "You vant buy scratchcard" nonsense either!

So nowadays it's back to Lufthansa for me......

Tiger_mate
10th Mar 2006, 21:44
Pan Am

The last Pan Am, aircraft I saw was spread over 18 miles of Scottish Countryside. Sadly some memories are better forgotten and yet they are the ones that stay with you for life. I was on one of the first helicopters there, and it took us an age to find the cockpit despite it being the image that many will hold. Upon return to Aldergrove (& a late lunch) a ground engineer (also eating late) made the mistake of having a poke at aircrew getting additional (flying) pay, it wasnt the day to do that, and he never did complete his lunch!

Lockerbie probably contributed to the demise of Pan Am .

The SSK
10th Mar 2006, 21:50
Lockerbie probably contributed to the demise of Pan Am .

Lockerbie *was* the demise of Pan Am. (They weren't quite a basket case before it occurred, they certainly were after)

treadigraph
10th Mar 2006, 22:59
Cheers Sled Dog, they were still an "Ace" airline"! Almost Ruskin...

The Heralds were slow but faster than the WGAF Do-28Ds that occasionally rattled up (or down) Green One. A good half hour of augmented Lycoming accompanied their passage... Happy days...

Sir George Cayley
11th Mar 2006, 22:26
TIA

TWA

TCA

PLUNA

Cimber

BUA

Autair

Silver City

Northeast (HS121 moment)

Aviogenex

Capitol

Universal

Treffield

Modern

:{

Sir George Cayley

India Four Two
12th Mar 2006, 03:57
I was wondering how Wardair could have been missed out on this thread and then I clicked on Pigboat's link:
This one. (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0353410/M/)
I only flew on Wardair once, back in their 707 days, but my parents often talked about the wonderful service on their Wardair flights from Gatwick to Calgary. It was rumoured that other Canadian airlines used to send their cabin crew as fare paying pax, in order to see how in-flight service should be done.

And talking of other Canadian airlines, I wish Canadian Pacific were still around with that wonderful callsign "Empress" and their cheerful, friendly crews.

The AvgasDinosaur
13th Mar 2006, 08:50
Sled dog

ACE was Air Charter Enterprises, and i remember them dropping oil all over the ramp at Changi ( a REAL a/c, those Connies )

I think it was Aviation Charter Enterprise, Dropping oil ! :eek: I think they were marking their territory:)

Be lucky
David

sled dog
13th Mar 2006, 09:54
Perhaps you are right. Well, it was 40+ years ago :eek: :cool:

IcePaq
14th Mar 2006, 15:53
Any airline that doesn't raid the pension.

For this to happen, it would require re-regulation.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Mar 2006, 10:36
You may miss things like Heralds but they took an absolute age to get you anywhere

Yes... we were scheduled to fly on one for our Honeymoon but the thing went tech and we ended up in a Dak - what joy!

Do Slick, Flying Tiger and Seaboard still exist? Recall their CL44s at Heathrow.

treadigraph
15th Mar 2006, 12:07
The'd all gone by the late 1980s, sadly, HD. They'd moved on from CL-44s by my day (think Transmerridian and Tradewinds acquired some of the fleet) but SW and FT DC-8s and 747s made a colourful addition to an airport ramp. Slick were no more by the late 1960s I think.

Saturn Airways! DC-8s and L-100s!

The SSK
15th Mar 2006, 12:09
Do Slick, Flying Tiger and Seaboard still exist? Recall their CL44s at Heathrow.

Flying Tiger took over Seaboard in 1980. They were in turn taken over by FedEx in 1989. Slick were gone long before that.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Mar 2006, 07:38
Seaboard were a great bunch. 3am one night in Heathrow Tower the R/T on 121.9 went something like this:

Seaboard (testing his mic): "One two"
Me (with nothing better to do): "Three four"
Seaboard: "We'll be pickin' up sticks in a minute".

For 3am that was real sharp!

codpiece face
16th Mar 2006, 07:43
Wardair were a great airline to fly with, even in economy they were excellent, Canada 3000 were an excellent airline to deal with.

Air Europe looked the biz and could easily have changed the face of British flying today if the factors working against them had not happened.

Flying Colours were good and had a great name in the charter business and anglo cargo bit off more than they could chew when they had that fantastic liveried 757 delivered.

southender
16th Mar 2006, 12:19
Air Charter,

For the day I stood at Stansted with b***er all happening until late in the afternoon, out of the murk, appeared one of their Avro Super Traders which then performed a touch and go before landing and taxying on to one of the dispersal points. Only Tudor/Super Trader I ever saw flying. Also for their Super Freighters at Southend in the Fifties.

Channel Airways,

For their "Royal" Viking which took me to Ostend, Easter '63 for a football tournament and for their "Golden Viscount"s., one of which flew myself and Mrs S on honeymoon to Jersey.

Skyways,

For their beautiful pale blue Hermes and Yorks

Spantax,

For their DC-7C's which took me on my first international flight from Gatwick to Palma and return.

The list could be endless and, as mentioned in an earlier reply, includes most of the entries in Tony Merton Jones' magnificent epic "British Independent Airlines since 1946"

Cheers in nostalgia

Southender

Wessex Boy
16th Mar 2006, 12:32
Channel Airways. Just so I could stand at the end of the runway at Southend & watch the Golden Jet Trident take off one more time...

My son got a Model Channel Airways Trident as a Christening present!

Busta
16th Mar 2006, 12:42
Britannia.

Nothing matters very much, most things don't matter at all.

Pom Pax
16th Mar 2006, 16:17
"Anyone who flew proper jets that smoked and made a bloody racket."

B.U.A. 111s

PPRuNe Pop
16th Mar 2006, 17:07
Invicta Airways and their Vikings. I liked those.

I enjoyed taking leave from Germany to LGW in a Viscount - 800 trooping flight but I can't remember the operator. It was about the only time I didn't mind going back to camp either - just for for another ride in the Viscount.

The 1-11's of Dan Air on LGW - ABZ route were a joy albeit at 0700 and commonly known as the red-eye special.

BIA to Jersey.

So nice all of them

Captain Airclues
16th Mar 2006, 23:14
Mercury Airlines 4 engines for long haul. DH Heron, Manchester to Isle of Wight. Happy memories.

Airclues

con-pilot
17th Mar 2006, 01:32
For me here in the US it is Braniff Airlines.

www.braniffinternational.org/

They almost made it.

gruntie
17th Mar 2006, 08:50
Many happy memories of this one.........

http://i2.tinypic.com/rksavq.jpg

Both of the airline and the aircraft.

Iron City
17th Mar 2006, 13:07
Late 70's Golden West Airlines DHC Twotter Summer trip LAX-Palmdale-Mohave- IYK No more than 2,000' over the high desert. Half the pax and the copilot lost their lunches. Anybody have a picture?

flash8
17th Mar 2006, 13:56
In my memory, Air Europe. Flew on their new 737-200's to Mahon back in late '79 as a kid, remember being given a tour of the cockpit, colour weather radar looked (to an eight year old) like something out of star wars...

Now that really impressed me... far more so than when I started flying RHS 737 around 26 years later!

And... BCal... how many other kids had a crush on their stewardesses (to use the old terminology) - heck those were the days!

atb1943
21st Mar 2006, 06:44
I'd like to add a couple that bring back happy memories:

Maitland Drewery - sheer magic in that name - think of them when you next visit Biggin

Hunting Clan - improbable name too for an airline

Skyways Coach Air - the original low fares carrier - afforded me my first trip abroad to the Paris air show in 1961...coach from Fleet to Victoria bus station courtesy of Have-a-shot and Risk-it (sorry - Aldershot & District!), coach down to Lympne, DC-3 to Beauvais, coach to Pareee. Watched the air show sitting on the hulk of a French Navy AAC1 (or Junkers 52). It wasn't only Dinkys that were made in France!

Airwork and its Hermes at Blackbushe in the '50's

...and of course dear old Eagle Aviation, that grew into the biggie I went to work for in 1964.:{

And because most of those named hailed from southern climes, I'd like to give Loganair an admiring mention.:ok:

cheers

atb

The SSK
21st Mar 2006, 08:51
And because most of those named hailed from southern climes, I'd like to give Loganair an admiring mention.:ok:
cheers
atb
Not quite Oop North but..
Wolverhampton's own scheduled airline.
http://www.planeboys.de/images/THF%20AirlineFotos/200-299/0246.jpg

DCDriver
22nd Mar 2006, 17:30
Gruntie,
Do I recognise the Simba Grill at the "old" Embakasi terminal in the background behind the Ten?

A great airline indeed.

skippyscage
23rd Mar 2006, 17:34
Many happy memories of flying in Channel Express L-188 Electra's and Dart Heralds a couple of times a week - alas all gone now :sad:

And the special one-off trips on one of the Instone Bristol Freighters out of STN and a Transcontinental DC6 out of Detroit followed by a Zantop DC8 (short version)

:* all aircraft look the same now-days

Four Wings
23rd Mar 2006, 18:44
As mere SLF may I offer you a few, with favourite pilots (the type you know will always find the only flat spot in 100 miles to put you down in an emergency - the myth all pax believe):
Ghana Airways,when still under BOAC supervision, DC3 flown by Peter Dorkenoo.
Aden Airways DC3, especially when landed downwind on dirt into a mountain side at somewhere like Dhala by John Gross.
Mustique Airways Islander, flown by Celia Alexander, speciality: landing at (unlit) base after nightfall, so that you'll not miss your dinner date (or hers).
For the rustic experience: Silver City Bristol Freighter car ferries - stuff your hankie in the window frame to block the draft and stop it rattling, but not even the SRN4 or Eurostar have beaten 20 minutes cross-channel.
And for a true shuttle experience, the Electras between Rio and Sao Paulo in the '80s (who operated them?)

treadigraph
23rd Mar 2006, 21:02
Four WIngs, your Electras in Brasil, was it not VARIG with some Air Bridge style name?

WHBM
24th Mar 2006, 07:21
It seems I'm the fourth to say Wardair. Prestwick to Vancouver nonstop in 1969 on a 707 as a child, and several later ones.

spittingimage
24th Mar 2006, 23:36
Remember once (1968 ?) flying from Luton to Newcastle in a Viscount which called in at East Midlands, Leeds and Teesside en route. I think it started at Southend and also proceeded beyond Newcastle into Scotland ? Great fun !

Would that have been Channel Airways perhaps ?

Someone already mentioned Newcastle to Carlisle in an Ambassador. Might have been BKS. Not sure. Been there; did that. Yes, cost was about 19 shillings single. Took my younger brother and sister too and it all came to about £2 & 10 shillings. Have the ticket stubs somewhere. Had to come back by bus as we had run out of pocket money :( .

Fifty North
25th Mar 2006, 09:41

Don't you mean the Channel BAC 1-11's? The Tridents use to operate out of Stansted. I am not aware that they ever operated out of Southend.

The SSK
25th Mar 2006, 11:46
Someone already mentioned Newcastle to Carlisle in an Ambassador. Might have been BKS. Not sure. Been there; did that. Yes, cost was about 19 shillings single. Took my younger brother and sister too and it all came to about £2 & 10 shillings. Have the ticket stubs somewhere. Had to come back by bus as we had run out of pocket money :( .

No, it was definitely Dan-Air and it was the Summer of 1969 because I has been posted up from LHR for a stint in the BOAC ticket office in Newcastle. The BKS Lizzies (Ambassadors) were long gone by then.

WHBM
25th Mar 2006, 13:49
Don't you mean the Channel BAC 1-11's? The Tridents use to operate out of Stansted. I am not aware that they ever operated out of Southend.
The Trident did normally operate out of Stansted due to runway limitations at Southend (hey, I once used much of the length here landing a C152 :uhoh: ). However they did go out of there from time to time, possibly after maintenance.

Fifty North
25th Mar 2006, 14:50
Remember once (1968 ?) flying from Luton to Newcastle in a Viscount which called in at East Midlands, Leeds and Teesside en route. I think it started at Southend and also proceeded beyond Newcastle into Scotland ? Great fun !

Would that have been Channel Airways perhaps ?.

Yes that would have been the Channel Airways "Scottish Flyer" service, wehich ewas all stations from Southend to Scotland!

Krystal n chips
25th Mar 2006, 17:26
Mercury Airlines 4 engines for long haul. DH Heron, Manchester to Isle of Wight. Happy memories.
Airclues

Now there's a name to treasure--based in the ( at the time ) old Terminal hangar at MAN---never flew in one but, after many attempts persuaded a very nice lady to allow a happy little spotter as I was then to look round one and my first ever visit to a commercial cockpit. :ok: On a par with my sitting in a Vampire / Venom ? at the CAACU at Exeter (closely supervised by an engineer as I sat on the seat ! --I simply wandered over to the hangar and asked--politely) --nothing around like that now of course:{

As for Air Europe, :hmm: better not say really.

jabberwok
25th Mar 2006, 17:45
Hunting Clan - improbable name too for an airline

An interesting era because HC were one of many shipping companies to invest in aviation post war and I guess there may be older people than I who could tell some stories about them. I recall Cunard Eagle but there must have been more, both here and in the USA (Gann talks about one such company in his famous book).

Apart from cruise ships are there any long distance passenger ships left tramping the seas?

Golf Charlie Charlie
25th Mar 2006, 21:32
An interesting era because HC were one of many shipping companies to invest in aviation post war and I guess there may be older people than I who could tell some stories about them. I recall Cunard Eagle but there must have been more......

The best example was probably British and Commonwealth Shipping whose airline business goes back to people like British Island Airways, which after mergers became Air UK. They were the major owner of Air UK, I think, until KLM started gradually taking control.

At a tangent, this also reminds me of the pre-WW2 Railway Air Services, which was an attempt by the railways (they were more or less still privately owned at that stage) to spread their risk by moving into airline ownership. Even I am not old enough to remember them directly, however.

bean
26th Mar 2006, 10:49
A bit of in depth history to support Golf Charlie Charlies post
British & Commonwealth actually owned the Clan Line & therefore co owned British United Airways with Airwork after the merger with Hunting Clan through Air Holdings in 1960. They eventually bought out BUA & BUA (CI) from Air Holdings who were left with BUAF (later to become BAF & British World) & various other companies including an unusual L1011 distributorship deal which lead to them taking Air Canadas' Vanguards in part exchange for Tristars.
BUA(CI) which was the old Jersey Airlines based in Jersey & also had operational control over BUA(Manx) had a dreadful summer of 1968 when the entire airline from pilots to cleaners went on strike & Alan Bristow closed it down.
It reformed as BUIA using the manx element plus the remainder of Morton Air Services & changed its name to BIA when BUA was sold to Caledonian by British & Commonwealth. BIA not being part of the deal.

Golf Charlie Charlie
26th Mar 2006, 12:53
A bit of in depth history to support Golf Charlie Charlies post
British & Commonwealth actually owned the Clan Line & therefore co owned British United Airways with Airwork after the merger with Hunting Clan through Air Holdings in 1960. They eventually bought out BUA & BUA (CI) from Air Holdings who were left with BUAF (later to become BAF & British World) & various other companies including an unusual L1011 distributorship deal which lead to them taking Air Canadas' Vanguards in part exchange for Tristars.
BUA(CI) which was the old Jersey Airlines based in Jersey & also had operational control over BUA(Manx) had a dreadful summer of 1968 when the entire airline from pilots to cleaners went on strike & Alan Bristow closed it down.
It reformed as BUIA using the manx element plus the remainder of Morton Air Services & changed its name to BIA when BUA was sold to Caledonian by British & Commonwealth. BIA not being part of the deal.

Thank you, bean. I knew there was also some connection with the main British United but wasn't sure and didn't want to put up duff gen.

Interestingly, there were two BIA's, British Island Airways. The first one, as you mentioned, was spun off from British United on merger with Caledonian. This was the BIA that merged with Air Anglia and Air Westward to form Air UK, around 1980-ish. It was also, incidentally, pretty much Air UK which made Stansted into what it has become today.

In the 1980s a new non-scheduled airline was created, also called British Island Airways. It was even floated on the stock exchange as a public company. It operated One-Eleven 500s (I think no other type). However, this company never cut it and collapsed after about 5 or 7 years. Par for the course for UK independents, I guess !

Why does anyone want to start or own an airline given the history of the sector in the past 60 years in the UK !

jabberwok
26th Mar 2006, 13:20
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/Photography/Images/GAVEZ.jpg

bean
27th Mar 2006, 06:55
In response to Golf Charlie Charlie

"in the 1980s a new non-scheduled airline was created, also called British Island Airways. It was even floated on the stock exchange as a public company. It operated One-Eleven 500s (I think no other type). However, this company never cut it and collapsed after about 5 or 7 years. Par for the course for UK independents, I guess !"

Peter Villa who had been MD of the old BIA & Air UKs first MD bought the IT charter division of Air UK in 1982 with its 1-11 400s & renamed it BIA with exactly the same colour scheme as its predecessor.
As you rightly say, 1-11 500s followed & then a brief period when they flew MD82s as well.

The airline ceased operations in 1990

AirportsEd
27th Mar 2006, 11:39
Birmingham European Airways - Happy days working with a great bunch of people. Sadly missed!:{

The SSK
27th Mar 2006, 12:23
Why does anyone want to start or own an airline given the history of the sector in the past 60 years in the UK !
Must have been the late 1980s, I was browsing a 1964 edition of Civil Aircraft Markings. It struck me that of the 30 or so UK airlines that existed then, only one survived with the same identity - Dan-Air.

Opssys
28th Mar 2006, 22:26
After reading through the contributions, I realise I probably have very little if nothing new to add (a real Nostalgia trip as a name from my past came up) so I will keep my list short(ish):
BUA at it's most diverse when it encompassed:

British United Airways
British United Air Ferries
British United (Channel Islands) Later BUIA *
British United Helicopters
British United Hovercraft

* Including the Airport Aids Calibration Dakota.
Some of the above were before my time in Aviation, although I crept into
BUA in 1970 as a summer temp.
Anyway on with the list:

Air Europe (the UK Arm)
British Caledonian - Spent most of my career (so far) with them
British Eagle
British Island Airways (Daks and Heralds - Silver Arrow Service - Successor to BUIA)
BOAC
Dan Air - For many reasons (all good)
Eastern (the US one)
Gatwick-Heathrow Airlink (BA, BAA, BCAL Joint Venture - Great Little Operation - Killed off by politically correct ***** who **** up everything).
Lloyd International (Brits and 707s)
Pan Am (The Original)
TWA - Worked with them on project about year before the end. Great people trying to rebuild the airline against all the odds. Many employees third generation TWA Staff!

After a lot of Angst that's it
DIH
Well it isn't actually, as I really need to add:

Balair - Especially the DC6 Operation
Swissair - Had dealings with them in the early 1980's At the time one of the most innovative Airlines in Europe, if not the World, but when a company loses it's way and it all goes wrong...

DIH

Fly380
2nd Apr 2006, 10:31
I'm glad someone mentioned Lloyd International - I started with them - then there was Donaldson International who I joined after Lloyds then Temlpewood Aviation who became Tempair (yep was with them as well). At least the RAF is still in business just about. I trained with them.:)

damicod
4th Apr 2006, 15:01
Interesting you should mention extinct airlines. What about extinct coulur schems. One that springs to mind is Britannia's old woman in the wheelchair on the tail. So much classier and prettier than Tacky
Thomson-Fly. I dont know what graphic designer came up with that one but he wants shooting

Opssys
4th Apr 2006, 15:48
Your right Damicod, the Britannia Scheme gave the Carrier a clear identity and was a good example of design. But of course once you decide on a Global Brand and the Image Consultants give you the once over, followed by a complete brand profile exercise, you end up with the something like the currentThomson-Fly scheme! But one must never stand in the way of progress!
Now where did I put my Marathon Bar, oh yes next to the Jif!
DIH

Golf Charlie Charlie
5th Apr 2006, 05:05
OK, a blast from the past, and a forgotten colour scheme to boot : Treffield International. Light blue, some black, and a whacking great union jack on the tail. Anyone got any pictures....?

Opssys
5th Apr 2006, 08:12
Treffield. Thinking back they had one Viscount? And if fading memory serves, it was indeed a 'pretty livery'. But for an Airline which I think lasted less than a season it is surprising it has now been mentioned by two previous posters and I guess I make three.
Obviously the colours made a lasting impact even the airline didn't and I assume Lord Treffield joined the ever growing list of those who thought they could make money running an airline and then found they couldn't!
DIH

The AvgasDinosaur
5th Apr 2006, 10:30
They had two Viscount 812 s leased from Channel and a Britannia 102 leased from Laker. Prior to this they only had Avro Ansons I think.
Be lucky
David

Opssys
5th Apr 2006, 10:44
Thanks David. I have no memory of the Britannia, or the Anson Operation.
But once again proof that the answer to any query can be found here.
DIH

treadigraph
5th Apr 2006, 11:40
Blimey - I'd never heard of Treffield - but here are some pics courtesy of google...

http://www.airlines-airliners.de/airlines/treffield.htm

http://www.flugzeugbilder.de/search4.cgi?stype=airline&srng=2&srch=Treffield

jabberwok
5th Apr 2006, 12:04
The Treffield Brit sat at Liverpool for some time but I never got any close up shots of it. It's there in the background of a British Eagle Viscount but too far away to pick out any detail.

Talking of British Eagle can anyone remember the name of the company that the staff tried to form when Eagle collapsed? Was it Phoenix?

The AvgasDinosaur
5th Apr 2006, 17:05
Anorak on
Viscounts were G-ATVE c/n 366 leased from Jan 67 to end of ops 23rd June 1967, G-ATVR c/n c/n 365 leased from April 67 to end of ops. Britannia G-ANBM leased May and June 67 but was returned prior to shut down.
Anorak off
Be lucky
David
PS The Ansons were G-AGWE and G-AHKX plus a Dragon Rapide G-AHKU
4 classic British Aircraft types there for us all to savour

Irish Steve
7th Apr 2006, 21:59
:) Remember with much pleasure

British Westpoint airlines at Exeter, had several DC3's and a collection of Dragon Rapides that flew places like London and the Scilly Isles, and I got quite a few free trips around the local area when they wanted someone to sit in the back for trim purposes:)

Can't remember who it was that operated the Herons, might have been Jersey Airlines, before the days of British United.

Then there was the Ambassadors ( dan air?), Spantax came in with DC6's and 7's, and I can't remember who operated the constellations around the same time.

British United had the Heralds, and Cambrian had the Viscounts.

Jets were a rarity then, and the supercharged piston engine aircraft taking off at night or dusk were a spectacular sight.

{Thread drift] So were the pairs of mosquito's that used to go all over the place towing targets, replaced not long after by Meteors and Vampires, then many years later by Canberras [thread drift /]

Most spectacular day though was much later, the first time BA came to Exeter with the Concorde, did a Bay of Biscay trip, and I shall always remember the radio call, as he did a low approach and go around over the City from the West, "London Control clears Concorde Alpha ? to join Controlled airspace at Bridport, climb and maintain FL240. Bridport is about 30 miles east of Exeter, and he made it with no problem at all :)

Somehow air travel was much more refined in those days, even if it wasn't available to the masses in the way it is now.

Opssys
8th Apr 2006, 09:05
Britsh Westpoint - Nearly made my list - twice (updated it with Balair and Swissair). Late 1960's operated passenger daks out of Gatwick as an Air France affiliate (Tiny Air France Logo, I think on the door?). Only once ever saw one of their Rapides (Thinks it was delivering a part for a Dak), made my 'spotty spotter day'.

Jersey Airlines were a Heron Operator. I was once the owner of two professionally taken photos of their Aircraft which were disposed of many years ago due to having coffee or similar spilt over them! Careless youth!
DIH

jabberwok
8th Apr 2006, 11:14
Jersey Airlines were a Heron Operator.

Ah, Heron operators - a breed apart.. Let's see how many of these names (by no means all DH114 operators) ring a bell..

North South.
Overseas Air Transport
Metropolitan
McDonald
Mercury
Morton
Peters
Progressive
Silver City
South Coast
Tyne Tees
Cambrian
Channel
Dragon
Emerald
Executive Air
Fairflight
British Eagle
British Island
British Westpoint

Four Wings
8th Apr 2006, 21:46
Herons - Ghana Airways had several, and there's one of Morton's doing gate-guard outside Croydon Airport's (listed) Terminal Building. That must be a complete anachronism.
One airline that always intrigued me (but I never had the opportunity to fly on) was British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines. I believe they operated DC6s with full sleeper berths trans-Pacific. Anybody know anything more about them?

treadigraph
9th Apr 2006, 09:47
Ah, got the old Morton look-alike Heron just over the hill from me at Croydon's Airport House. Would look - and sound - much better in the air though!

jabberwok
9th Apr 2006, 12:55
Anybody know anything more about them?

Only that the three DC6's went to TEAL after BCPA folded.

Opssys
9th Apr 2006, 13:46
Thinking of Morton, one of their Aircraft made the last departure from Croydon Airport before it closed.
Thinking of Croydon Airport here is a picture of the second to last transport Aircraft to Depart Croydon in 1980 (not for once a typo) and in a very inappropriate livery.
http://www.cue-dih.co.uk/site_info/misc_files/19800505_dh89_810.jpg
DIH

john.mathews
9th Apr 2006, 18:43
Just to add... this short-lived operator was a joint venture between Lord Trefgarne and Charles Masefield [son of Sir Peter], who went on to become a BAC/BAe test pilot. On a more general note...I discovered this site by accident, and I'm very glad I did. Thank you, gentlemen, for the many happy memories which your postings have brought me. They were the days when, just like cars and ships, the many different aircraft had real character. Nowadays they all look alike. As Roger Bacon used to say in "Flight" magazine....."Ah, nostalgia!"

brakedwell
12th Apr 2006, 16:03
What about this outfit?
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/GAOVS.jpg

Mr_Grubby
12th Apr 2006, 16:20
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/GAKBGVIKING.jpg

Remember this outfit ?
Sorry about the poor quality pic. Taken at Hurn in 1962

C.

mcgoo
12th Apr 2006, 20:10
British Caledonian. All together now "Wish they all could be Caledonian..."

http://www.coldal.org/clips/bcal.rm

Jumbo744
12th Apr 2006, 20:57
wow brakedwell, magnificent airplane!!!!

foxile
12th Apr 2006, 21:33
Memories as a whipper snapper and spotty youth growing up next to EMA... as opposed to NEMA, but that is another subject :}

British Midland AIRWAYS: DC3, C4, Herald, Viscount, B707 etc.
Alidair: Viscount
Sagittair, later Air Bridge Carriers: Argosy, Merchantman
Spantax: when they operated DC7s!
Delta Air Transport: DC3 - Belgian, any connection with DAT/SN Brussels of today?
Air Spain:Britannias now and again
Skyways: HS748
Orion: B737
And others I have no doubt forgotten....

Ah well, I was young honest. It's just shame all aeroplanes and airlines look the same nowadays...

Foxile
:8

The SSK
13th Apr 2006, 07:01
Memories as a whipper snapper and spotty youth growing up next to EMA... as opposed to NEMA, but that is another subject :}
Delta Air Transport: DC3 - Belgian, any connection with DAT/SN Brussels of today?
Foxile
:8
Essentially the same outfit. I occasionally flew their DC3s, Cv440s and F27s between Antwerp and Amsterdam (op for KLM) and between Brussels and Eindhoven (op for Sabena). Also a couple of times between Brussels and Antwerp - about 35km, 7min in an F27, 12min in a Dak! They also had a DC6.

Opssys
13th Apr 2006, 07:16
This was the 'BCAL Advert' it defined the Airline's image both in the UK and US Markets. It was also the subject on a long conversation yesterday about transferring the 'Official VHS Tape' to CD/DVD whether this will happen is still a mute point. My VHS Copy was stupidly loaned out years ago and is the way of the world never returned.
One abiding memory of the theme tune is at Comms 84 (The premior UK Telecoms Show at the time) and whenever walking the across the Hall to/from our part of the BT Stand with three uniformed BCAL staff, one in a kilt and having various Remote Control Man High Robots, mostly variations on a Dalek theme (every stand seemed to have them) singing the 'BCAL Song' with 'electronic voices'. They kept it up for the entire show. By the end, it was very wearing and I seemed to remember we stopped running the 'official version' on the stand, because some of those Robots nearest would 'join in'.
DIH

The Claw
13th Apr 2006, 07:40
Flitestar
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7254/flitestar1vz.jpg
and USAfrica Airways
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/200/usafr9pz.jpg
:ok:

SASless
13th Apr 2006, 15:18
A Southern airline, owned by Southerners, manned by Southerners, and full of Southern charm, graciousness, and dedicated to customer satisfaction. Gobbled up by US Air and a bunch of Damn Yankees who don't give a damn about the customer or employees.

A very interesting web site about Piedmont.

http://flyaow.com/viewer.cgi?www.jetpiedmont.com/

Golf Charlie Charlie
13th Apr 2006, 20:39
OK, another one from across the water : Pacific Southwest Airlines. I was recently in San Diego, and the aerospace museum there (which is very good, in general, by the way) has a fascinating section on this airline. I did not know they were once called the Poor Sailor's Airline, because they carried so many returning servicemen after WW2. The excellent detailed historical summaries and exhibits, including various memorabilia and flight attendant uniforms from the 1950s to the 1980s, also do not shirk their two serious accidents.

Tempsford
13th Apr 2006, 21:21
brakedwell, that is a nice picture...

Temps

Georgeablelovehowindia
14th Apr 2006, 00:09
IAS ... I'd forgotten them. All Britannias had a unique, musky, smell in the cabin (and no, I'm not referring to the British Eagle Far-East trooper flights!) :}

brakedwell
14th Apr 2006, 07:07
Temps, it was taken at Manston in 1975.
Georgeablelovehowindia
They did pong at times! A high percentage of IAS flights from Manston carried livestock to Malpensa.
I had a nasty fright when a fully grown boar broke into the flight deck and managed to wedge itself between the throttle pedestal and the F/O's seat. We were passing a thousand feet on finals to Rwy 30 at MXP at the time. During the G/A, the Flt Eng grabbed it's left ear, the F/O it's right and the Loadmaster it's tail. After a struggle they manage to drag it back to the cabin while I circled over Novara.
I developed an unhealthy taste for bacon after that! :E

Tempsford
14th Apr 2006, 12:31
brakedwell,
Thanks for the response. I can almost hear the 'pop' sound as the Superfine switches are selected.

Temps

MissApproach
23rd Apr 2006, 17:04
...Because this is where my career as Cabin Crew started on the BAC1-11 at British World Airlines! Hard work, great fun, great crew, and great VIP flights-oh those were the days! I am pleased to say I am still flying.
Happy memories and mixed emotions :rolleyes: :{ :D
Hi to any ex BWA people!

http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/3/7/2/0281273.jpg (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0281273&size=L&width=1024&height=664&sok=&photo_nr=15)

MReyn24050
23rd Apr 2006, 19:23
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/GAKBGVIKING.jpg
Remember this outfit ?
Sorry about the poor quality pic. Taken at Hurn in 1962
C.
Remember it well Clint. I spent many happy days at Hurn in the early 60s redesigning the rear Galley on Air Safaris Hermes when I was working for Air Couriers based at Gatwick.Trying to remember the Chief Engineers name. I think it was Dave Hasllum. Once travelled from Gatwick to Hurn with him in a record time, quite an exciting journey
Mel

Mooney
23rd Apr 2006, 21:07
Go-Fly
Go on Babs, Let's Go Again :{
http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/1/9/8/0238891.jpg

JamesA
24th Apr 2006, 08:24
Many thanks mcgoo. I remember them well. That was a company to fly with.
Does anybody have anymore or, or access to these adverts? I recall some showing more of the girls with their tartans.

Flying Tigers was my favourite (having been one of them), it was a family than an airline. Probably helped with their demise, as was proved when the asset strippers moved in.

ATR42300
25th Apr 2006, 12:36
Gill Airways at Newcastle, working with great people..........nuff said.

sailor
30th Apr 2006, 06:38
A little late on the thread-
:cool:
Herons-McDonald Aviation- Dundee, grass only; was involved when we started it from scratch with an Aztec and G-ANNO. Fixed gear as opposed to the retracting version we flew in 781, but a fun machine! Compared to a Global 5000 ......................not quite the same performance!

Nadine52
1st May 2006, 04:28
National Airlines. My mother was an FA with them from 1969-1980.:)

A and C
1st May 2006, 10:45
Debonair.................. Great little airline, wonderful people but a uniform that made me look like a doorman at an Italian house of ill repute !.

Can some one beter at this computing machine thing post a Debonair BAe146 photo.

The AvgasDinosaur
1st May 2006, 12:12
A & C,
As requested,
try this link http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1015452/L/
or this
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0894309/L/
or this
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0812093/L/
or a rarety
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0822374/L/
or perhaps
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0742829/L/
another rare bird
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0402867/L/
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David
P.S. Sorry don't know how to post pictures direct only links.

Jumbo744
1st May 2006, 18:12
very nice livery :ok:

Mooncrest
9th Oct 2006, 17:26
Northeast for the lovely bright yellow Viscounts. I think they kept three at LBA.

Dan-Air for the lonely 748 G-ARAY. Never seemed to move when I visited LBA, like it was stuck in a timewarp.

BIA for the orangey-red Heralds. I think they did seasonal routes to Jersey and the Isle of Man.

It's not the same any more. Nothing but ruddy Jet2 in our back yard now.

4Screwaircrew
9th Oct 2006, 17:50
Skyguard, if only because it's the 1st airline I worked for.

seacue
9th Oct 2006, 18:13
Ozark in the latter part of the 1950s. They were strictly DC-3 and SUPER DC-3, with doors which covered the main landing gear in flight.

Stewardesses who looked like they milked the cows before coming to work - well-fed farm girls.

Ramp workers at Midway who looked as though they carried switch-blade knives.

At Peoria the same person checked you in and pushed the cart containing the baggage out to the plane.

They later got modern with F-27s and DC-9s and expanded to cover from Denver to NYC. Their sales motto at the time was "Two-thirds transcontinental". Then TWA took them over.

wulf190a
9th Oct 2006, 18:32
Am i mistaken? Invicta Airways out of Lympne? DC3?

om15
10th Oct 2006, 18:32
British Island Airways at Blackpool, first civvie job after leaving the mob, in June 1979, became a type rated engineer on the Dart Herald, over the next 19 years worked on Heralds operated by BIA, Air UK, Skyguard, Brymon, Janes, EuroAir, Channel Express and some outfit in Luton whose name escapes me, missed BAF though.
Not the most glamorous aeroplane, but did the job, so BIA Blackpool was a bit special for me.

Regards,
om15.

Loki
10th Oct 2006, 19:07
I was going to say BKS, but Mooncrest got there by calling them Northeast.

redsnail
10th Oct 2006, 19:10
Ansett. :(

airspeedsalive
11th Oct 2006, 06:56
Ozark Air Lines -KSTL

DH106
11th Oct 2006, 11:39
Northeast for the lovely bright yellow Viscounts. I think they kept three at LBA.

Dan-Air for the lonely 748 G-ARAY. Never seemed to move when I visited LBA, like it was stuck in a timewarp.

BIA for the orangey-red Heralds. I think they did seasonal routes to Jersey and the Isle of Man.

It's not the same any more. Nothing but ruddy Jet2 in our back yard now.

Hear hear Mooncrest :)
I used to cycle up the back road to LBA as a kid back in the 70's and see all of the above...sigh
I remember looking over the fence behind the old black hanger once and seeing a poor Viscount in BEA colours sitting on it's belly being scrapped :(

The SSK
11th Oct 2006, 12:51
I was going to say BKS, but Mooncrest got there by calling them Northeast.
Did most of my early flying on BKS, between Heathrow and Newcastle on Britannias, Viscounts and Tridents. The Britannia trips were purgatory, they might have been known as the 'Whispering Giant' but in the cabin there was a piercing vibration that went right through your skull. The Viscounts weren't much better but at least the flight was shorter.

barry lloyd
11th Oct 2006, 15:17
Panair do Brasil (DC-8s), who gave me an ID 100% firm LHR-RIO-LHR in 1964.
The flight stopped in Recife on the way back, and I was offloaded due to weight problems - the aircraft, not me! - and caught malaria! Still a great trip though. In those days the Rio-Sao Paulo airbridge was operated by C-46s - magic!
Lineas Aereas Paraguayas Once flew first class with them Asuncion-Buenos Aires in a 707. The cutlery consisted of an Aerolineas Argentinas fork, a LAN Chile knife, and a LAP teaspoon, (which I still have!).
It was known locally as Lineas Aereas Peligrosas. (peligrosas = dangerous).
Eastern (US) Was once flying Cali-Miami, when we made what was decscribed as a 'technical diversion' into Panama. Apparently several of the crew (who were Panamanian) were later arrested for drug smuggling.
TABSO of Bulgaria, with their smelly (inside & outside!) TU-154s.
BEA The Trident (aah, de Havilland) run from Moscow back to LHR, in the mid 70's, when the captain would announce "We have now left Soviet airspace." A cheer would go up, and champagne would appear throughout the cabin. All economy in those days!
Braniff Taking off from La Paz one night with a fullish load, (DC-8) bound for DFW. The captain warned us that the aircraft would just lift off at the end of the runway after T/O, and then drop a bit - and it did!
Slightly off thread, but on the subject of La Paz - Shorts took a 330 there one time for trials. It flew in OK, but despite numerous attempts, could never get airborne. It was eventually dismantled and taken away in a CL-44.
British Caledonian Enough said already - but they get my vote as one of the best airlines - ever!:ok:

Mooncrest
11th Oct 2006, 16:17
DH106.

I don't remember any Viscounts getting the chop at LBA but I was only born in '71 so that could be why. Still old enough to remember the aforementioned airlines and aircraft though. H:) appy times..

GBALU53
11th Oct 2006, 16:54
How about the likes of good old Jersey Airlines at least an aircraft which flew for them is still alive the DH114 Heron G-AORG.

The days before the Jersey European came about Intra Airways.:ok:

Rousseau Aviation on of the operators of the Nord 262 aircraft.:ok:

The early days of Delta Air Transport with there redish DC6s or the Convair before that.:ok:

The dodgey Lockheed Constellations that transited Jersey for i believe a chap called Mr D Baker.:ok:
One could go on and on

If only the clock could go back thirty or forty years wouldn.t it be fantastic??:ok: :ok:

treadigraph
11th Oct 2006, 17:18
I believe Duncan Baker (Lanzair) still has a Howard 500 down at Exeter - anyone confirm? And the Connie at Wroughton was one of his... The rest were scattered around the Mid East, Africa and Southern Europe as far as I remember - as their flying days ceased for various reasons!

XL5
12th Oct 2006, 02:18
Bumped from a DC-8 because of weight problems? Simply an exercise in paperwork: show a greater taxi or trip burn and hey presto, everyone rides.

I'm afraid the crew didn't try too hard to help you out on that one Barry, but on the bright side the mosquitoes probably appreciated the fresh meat. This was 1964 though, the swinging sixties were at full throttle. It might have helped if you'd been female and wearing a miniskirt. Captains usually make exceptions under such circumstances.

Disclaimer. I'm not in the market for a performance lecture from any lurking pedants, we're just squeezing in a solitary non-rev here.

barry lloyd
12th Oct 2006, 10:17
XL5
Well that's what they told me!. I suspect a fully-loaded DC-8 (-50?)doing REC-LHR, was probably pretty close to its limits in those days. Yeah I appreciate the bit about taxi/trip fuel etc., but all the seats were full, and there was lots of freight/mail on board too, so I think it probably was close to the MTOW limits, plus I was on an ID100, so I couldn't really compain!
The mossies have always taken advantage of me. Must be a blood group thing!
My legs are too hairy for a miniskirt, and anyway I could never compete with all that gorgeous Brazilian totty!;)

WHBM
12th Oct 2006, 11:35
I suspect a fully-loaded DC-8 (-50?)doing REC-LHR, was probably pretty close to its limits in those days.
The Panair fleet in 1964 was DC8-30s (ordered for Pan Am) which didn't have great range, still non-fan turbojet engines.

barry lloyd
12th Oct 2006, 16:31
WHBM
Yes, you're right. The -50s didn't appear until later. Mind you, to someone used to flying on Viscounts and DC-4s at that time, it seemed big!

foxmoth
12th Oct 2006, 17:15
Calair/Novair - now there was an airline that was fun to work for, great routes and the best longhaul pay outside BA, Shame there was some under the table deal to close them down!

possel
13th Oct 2006, 12:15
How about the likes of good old Jersey Airlines at least an aircraft which flew for them is still alive the DH114 Heron G-AORG.

The days before the Jersey European came about Intra Airways.:ok:

Rousseau Aviation on of the operators of the Nord 262 aircraft.:ok:

The early days of Delta Air Transport with there redish DC6s or the Convair before that.:ok:

The dodgey Lockheed Constellations that transited Jersey for i believe a chap called Mr D Baker.:ok:
One could go on and on

If only the clock could go back thirty or forty years wouldn.t it be fantastic??:ok: :ok:

I think I must have met you at LGW or LHR in the sixties...

I had an Airfix model of G-AORG when I was young but I never saw it until GBFWE at Wroughton a few years ago.

What about Morton Air Services? And "Metropolitan Air Movements" who had a single Dove at LGW?

A37575
17th Oct 2006, 00:17
Air Nauru. Started with an F28 or two in 1973 and by the early Eighties had a couple of 727's and a brace of 737-200. Phophate rich island just poured the fuel into those aircraft and off we went sometimes with no passengers but just the crew to Honolulu and back via Majuro. Same thing Guam to Kagoshima and Okinawa and to Samoa and Raratonga and Noumea to Tonga. And to many of the old battlefields of the Pacific war. Tarawa, Saipan, Ponape, Truk. We lost sodding millions of dollars over the years but what a wonderful route structure...
Pity about the Nauraun population though - poor medical facilities and even worse education when teachers from the Sub-Continent arrived.
But purely from the point of view of the pilots who flew the Boeings, certainly the most enjoyable flying I have done in my career.
The airline went down the drain last year. It was a miracle it lasted 32 years...

OPSQUEEN
19th Oct 2006, 21:37
Air Bridge Carriers
Air Ecosse
Genair

ImageGear
21st Oct 2006, 17:59
MSP - SFO - LAX - MSP in those beautiful DC9's.

Enough Flight attendants to stop at every seat, discuss the weather, the view, your business, your vacation, your family, kids birthdays, and still serve a proper meal on plates with cutlery and wine.

With a huge window which allowed you to look down as well as out without straining your neck or loosening your seat belt.

Finally a Captain who had been sausage side a few times in 'nam and took us up to the cruise after the fashion of the proverbial F4 he used to drive. (He told us).

It was never the same on Northwest, too many people, not enough help, and timmies (DC10's ?) flown like Viscounts.

Imagegear

ewe.lander
26th Oct 2006, 20:41
No brainer:-
BCal to hong Kong on the DC10 - great crews, great jet
BMA Viscount, London - Belfast, proper window, proper breakfast
RAF C130 Akrotiri - Lyneham, after a night of Keeebab and pandemonium you just didn't care.....:ok:

The AvgasDinosaur
26th Oct 2006, 22:11
No brainer:-
BCal to hong Kong on the DC10 - great crews, great jet

I believe the " I wish they all could be caledonian girls" song is available as a download somewhere. But where ???
Be lucky
David

Tee Emm
29th Oct 2006, 10:45
Mooncrest. Dan-Air for the lonely 748 G-ARAY

I have often wondered about the whereabouts of G-ARAY. I flew it in 1966 at Woodford when the RAAF sent crews to England to convert on to the 748 prior to ferrying the VIP version back to Oz. My instructors then were Tony Blackman, Eric Franklin and Bill Else. Good blokes all.

Wodrick
29th Oct 2006, 22:05
G-ARAY was withdrawn from use during 10/89 at Lasham and broken up 04/90 presumably at the same location. Sad really, for what was considered the prototype 748 to end it's days like that. I used to regularly go from Manchester to Leeds in the small hours to sort out Radio defects on the old girl in the mid '70s when she was based there for Dan

Just a spotter
30th Oct 2006, 19:10
"Janet" and their 737's

No, they don't exisit, never did, honest! :}

JAS

treadigraph
30th Oct 2006, 20:09
Sorry, gotta ask - are those the 737s that don't fly out of Las Ahem, to Harrrummphhh Lake? Janet eh? Like it... I didn't see one parked on the far side when I wasn't passing though in 2000...

Just a spotter
30th Oct 2006, 21:29
Who's asking ..... ?! :E Careful, they'll be 'round. :=

Allegedly not, or allegedly so, depends ... :oh: The best "Allegedly" I've heard about Janet is that it's "JANET", for "Just Another Non Extra-terrestrial Transport" Cute ... ;)

Anyway ... back on topic ...

BOAC ... anything with a "Speedbird" on the side
Aerlinte Eireann with the Seaboard Super Constellation's (I believe one still exists!)

Does Monthy Pythons Flying Circus count? :8

JAS

Offchocks
30th Oct 2006, 22:55
Can't say I wish they were still around...........but does anyone remember Site Aviation in Scotland? My first job was with them in '74 as a FO on DC3s, but having been there for about a month filling in as an office boy and not flying, I left and went to Air Anglia. I think once they finally got up they only operated for less than a year.

WHBM
31st Oct 2006, 09:54
does anyone remember Site Aviation in Scotland? My first job was with them in '74 as a FO on DC3s, but having been there for about a month filling in as an office boy and not flying, I left and went to Air Anglia. I think once they finally got up they only operated for less than a year.
Started out of Aberdeen in 1973 with Aztecs. Bought 3 DC-3s, managed to operate ONE flight with them (9 Jan 74) before they were all repossessed, which is probably why you never got your hands on one !

After a bit more messing around with some leased Viscounts they went out of business in May 1974.

Offchocks
31st Oct 2006, 21:30
WHBM

I started with them at the end of Jan '74 at their "Head Office" just outside Edinburgh just by the bridge. (South Queensferry???)
Yes they had intentions of operating out of ABZ doing oil work. But if I recall correctly, the only thing flying up until when I left in early March was an Aztec. The DC3s were having work done on them.
Myself and another new CPL holder with no hours spent our time answering phones, helping out with the new ops manual and listening to stories on how they were going to expand!

mcgoo
31st Oct 2006, 22:36
I believe the " I wish they all could be caledonian girls" song is available as a download somewhere. But where ???
Be lucky
David

Heres the ads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8q9zOUMdtg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS2Pfnr_3dA

qfcabin
3rd Nov 2006, 03:46
Oh dear, those Caledonian lasses....sigh..those really WERE the days!!

Hostie2201
3rd Nov 2006, 11:36
Dan Air ahhhh those lovely 111 aircraft and those not so lovely 727 100 series, Juliet Whisky with her constant oil leaks, just loved those night flights to Dalaman and Izmir...................:rolleyes:

The AvgasDinosaur
28th Nov 2006, 15:37
Anyone remember Invicta,
Vikings, DC-4, Viscount, Vanguard, Britannia and some early (smokey) Boeing B720Bs
Quite a collection

Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

Mr_Grubby
28th Nov 2006, 17:04
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/DC7cs.JPG
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/B707Cals.jpg
Back in '66 I flew Gatwick - Muharraq on a trooping flight. They gave us kids these postcards to keep us quite. I remember feeling shortchanged because some kids were flown out on BUA VC 10s. I had to wait until '67 befor I flew on G-ASIW.
Clint.

BYALPHAINDIA
28th Nov 2006, 17:42
Although I was a 'Kid' - Baby Goat, I remember BCAL, CALAIR , NOVAIR, I liked the 'TARTAN' uniforms with it's Scottish look!!

They seem to be bringing 'TARTAN' back into fashion, I would say the BCAL uniforms were the best I have ever seen!!

They don't wear 'UNIFORMS' now they wear 'Teeshirts' instead = all part of the LO-CO entourage!!

Regards.:rolleyes:

BYALPHAINDIA
28th Nov 2006, 17:50
The Aircraft Dan Air operated were workhorses, with their 'Black Smoke' trailing from the back!!

I flew on a DA 1-11 in 1988 from MAN - PER and we 'powered' off R24 like a NASA Launch!!

I have recently read that DA went into 11 hour talks with 'Branson' over a possible takeover in October 1992, Branson could have had DA for next to nothing, But He pulled out at the last minute?

Due to BA taking DA, DA is not a 'popular' word around Crawley!!

RIP DA.

Regards.:sad:

Opssys
28th Nov 2006, 19:51
Despite being a BCAL Man (through and through), I had a lot of time for Dan Air people (and its the people who make any company work, even when logic says it shouldn't). Not only was there some behind the scenes collaboration on Contingencies between BCAL and Dan Air, but also I was always impressed how they did so much with so little, in IT, Engineering, in fact every department.

They did work their Aircraft and Crews hard, and during the shortish period I was using them almost weekly to Switzerland, the punctuality and service was excellent, the Cabin Staff were Manchester based and I often travelled out from Gatwick and then back with the same Girls (I think eventually Dan Air had a token Steward). A longer day for them than most of the BCAL Cabin Staff on short haul would normally expect.

In many ways a great Airline, but needed massive inward investment to break out of the 'aged' fleet mode of operation. I suspect Branson looked at what he would to spend after taking-over Dan and thought better of it.

I can understand there is still some resentment over the BA takeover of Dan Air and compared with how BA Handled both the BA Airtours Reorganisation (just before the BCAL Takeover) and the Dan Air Takeover, I think the BCAL Staff got off lightly.

VC10Conway
29th Nov 2006, 09:11
For me it's Court Line, even though I never flew with them. My interest was first awakened by my visits to Luton in 1974. Aged just 13 at the time, I used to be taken airside by various helpful Monarch engineering & Dan-air staff and stand by the two massive L1011s that remained on the apron for ages after the bankrupcy.

DC10RealMan
29th Nov 2006, 16:51
For me it was DAN-AIR, as a staff traveller they were absolutely wonderful

BYALPHAINDIA
29th Nov 2006, 18:18
I don't think there were many liveries as bright as CourtLine thou?

The L10 looked good in the colours.

I was a fan of Excalibur for a short time back in 1994, I loved the livery, It suited the A320.

Another was Ambassador - a 'lovely' and different scheme but was short lived.

My favourite back then was Air 2000, the original scheme 1987 white fuselage, gold + red cheatlines, I am not a big fan of the current FCA scheme.

Although a long time BY fan, I actually like both the old BY and the new Thomsonfly scheme.;)

llanfairpg
30th Nov 2006, 01:58
Anyone remember the BOAC Viscount?

The SSK
30th Nov 2006, 08:21
Anyone remember the BOAC Viscount?
I do, sort of. I did a spell in the BOAC Duty Room at Prestwick in 1969 and at the time BA were using somebody's DC3 (Emerald Airways?) on a Belfast operation to link with the transatlantics. Somewhere along the line it was replaced by a Viscount, I think from British Midland, painted in BOAC livery, and Aberdeen was added. I can't remember whether that was while I was at PIK, or afterwards.
There was a story attached to it, that BA sent over to BD enough paint to redecorate their entire fleet, they made a tidy profit selling on the surplus.

bean
30th Nov 2006, 10:50
The two Viscounts which operated in BOAC colours were provided by Cambrian
They were G-AMOG & G-AMON both series 701's & operated from 1972. They were indeed subsequently replaces by BMA Viscounts

I only discovered recently that BIA had the contract at one point as well- at least during 1971.

Aircraft would position BLK-PIK then operate PIK-BFS-PIK & position back PIK-BLK. This from a former BIA BLK ops bod man now living in Jersey

WHBM
30th Nov 2006, 10:56
Somewhere along the line it was replaced by a Viscount, I think from British Midland, painted in BOAC livery, and Aberdeen was added.
The two aircraft were actually Cambrian Airways Viscount 700s, G-AMOG and G-AMON. By this time Cambrian was owned by BEA, so ultimately the same owners as BOAC.

And here they are at PIK. (BA titles by then but still in the BOAC scheme). Just one round trip a day for each from Belfast or Aberdeen to Prestwick and back.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0087200/M/

The SSK
30th Nov 2006, 11:40
Yes - more fragments come back to me. The BD aircraft would have been later, and painted in mid-1970s British Airways livery, the lorryloads of paint were red, white and blue, we reckoned they kept the white and the blue and palmed off the red.

Another story was that one of the aircraft, in BA colours, operated a BD service to Jersey. The BA ops crew looked out of the window and saw it arriving, scratched their heads about what service it might be, but thought nonetheless 'it's one of ours', and rushed out to it, falling over the BD squad who were doing the same thing.