PDA

View Full Version : Flying UK Registered Aircraft on Canadian License!

Hollywood316
9th Mar 2006, 08:13
Dear All,

Im in need of some help! I have a Canadian Cpl with 200Hrs. Ive tried searching all the forums for this info but cannot seem to find any relevant threads. I want to know if I can fly UK registered Aircraft with my license. I know I cannot exercise the commercial part of my license, but was wondering if i could fly recreationally at a club on it. If I cannot what would it entail to be able to. Any help will be much appreciated!

Cobalt
9th Mar 2006, 10:01
Provided your licence is valid & you have a current medical, you can use it to fly G-registered aircraft in UK [and channel island] airspace.

What you cannot do is fly IFR in controlled airspace [which includes night flight in controlled airspace]. You also, as you said, can't fly commercially or instruct, even for free.

You could also convert to a JAR PPL if you are planning on staying in Europe. This requires you to

Get a JAR class 2 medical [can be done based on your CAA medical]
Get a flight radiotelephony operator licence [practical test only, essentially sitting in a room with headsets on playing through a flight. Test fee should be less than £100.
Pass air law and human performance and limitation PPL exams. Tests are done locally at flight schools/clubs and fees are normally low
Do a skill test (flight test)
Pay lots of CAA fees to get the licenceJAR CPL is a different matter - basically you have to do Class 1 medical, all the theory exams, skill test etc. from scratch - only training hours are "at the discretion of the training provider".

The key document that has all the relevant information is LASORS, which is found here http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf

Whopity
9th Mar 2006, 21:58
It is not teritorially limited, you can use it in a G Reg aircraft anywhere in the World.

The Key Document is the UK Air Navigation Order Article 26 http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF

(4) For the purposes of this Part of this Order:
(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b), a licence granted either under the law of a
Contracting State other than the United Kingdom but which is not a JAA licence or a licence granted under the law of a relevant overseas territory, purporting in either case to authorise the holder to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft, not being a licence purporting to authorise him to act as a student pilot only, shall, unless the CAA gives a direction to the contrary, be deemed to be a licence rendered valid under this Order but does not entitle the holder:

(i) to act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose
of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he
receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

(ii) in the case of a pilot's licence, to act as pilot of any aircraft flying in
controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the
Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying;
----------------------------------------------------------
Flight at night is possible outside controlled airspace, and inside controlled airspace by opting for SVFR!