PDA

View Full Version : NEMA EZY B737 fire

ALLDAYDELI
8th Mar 2006, 14:11
From BBC Website 8th March 1306z

Firefighters tackle Easyjet blaze

Firefighters from Leicestershire have put out a fire on an aeroplane at Nottingham East Midlands Airport.
A small fire was found in one of the engines of an Easyjet 737 aircraft, which was due to fly to Luton.

There were no passengers on board and engineers are currently trying to find out what caused the fire.

A spokesperson from the airport said the fire had not affected any other flights or delayed passengers flying out from the airport.

windriver
8th Mar 2006, 16:17
Do the BBC have an informant at each airport to report these incidents, or do they have an airband receiver? If so they must still see "relatively" minor incidents as newsworthy...

I can understand why they might want to be around if things develop, but to publish such non news doesn`t really seem to serve any purpose.

Probably they just like to use the word Blaze a lot on a thin news day.

no sig
9th Mar 2006, 13:06
The problem with this type of reporting, as İ see from inside the industry, is that a continual diet of 'occurrences' in the news may undermine the confidence the travelling public has in the airline/s. Aviation is complex, technical and not easily understood by most, e.g. what would be a routine matter for a crew may, in the public view, present a near death experience.

News agencies should have people who know the industry and the difference between a serious incident and one that is newsworthy and one that is not, this one isn't, as reported, in my opinion. That is not to say that the airline and the CAA/AAİB shouldn't investigate it, but the majority they investigate don't make the headlines either.

lomapaseo
9th Mar 2006, 14:45
The problem with this type of reporting, as İ see from inside the industry, is that a continual diet of 'occurrences' in the news may undermine the confidence the travelling public has in the airline/s. Aviation is complex, technical and not easily understood by most, e.g. what would be a routine matter for a crew may, in the public view, present a near death experience.
News agencies should have people who know the industry and the difference between a serious incident and one that is newsworthy and one that is not, this one isn't, as reported, in my opinion. That is not to say that the airline and the CAA/AAİB shouldn't investigate it, but the majority they investigate don't make the headlines either.

I agree at one time that would have been true.

But just look at Pprune and all the overun threads as well as hero pilots saving plane loads of passengers by shutting down an engine and landing safely.

It begins to numb the mind so much that the newspapers bury it even deeper in the back pages and finally it will be about as newsworthy as a flat tyre on your own car.

red 5
11th Mar 2006, 15:15
That'll be the same aircraft in Nice having the #1 engine replaced then after the turbine was severely melted, G-EZJG.

Sir George Cayley
11th Mar 2006, 22:32
There's a lot of local interest in Castle Donnington at the mo because of their recent master plan. Vociferous local oponents of further expansion are no doubt feeding eager hacks anything "newsworthy".

It's a no win situation for all.

Sir George Cayley