PDA

View Full Version : NATO Rapid Reaction Force to take over in Afghanistan

GengisKhant
8th Mar 2006, 10:53
It has recently been reported that the commander of NATO forces says member nations are 25 percent short in their commitments for the alliances Reaction Force, - WHAT ! ONLY 25% SHORT…, I THOUGHT IT WAS AROUND 40%...! (GK)… which is supposed to be fully operational by October :ugh: . That statement indicates no change from what U.S. officials were saying before a NATO defense ministers meeting last month. General James Jones says he is the one who has the responsibility of declaring on October first that the Reaction Force is operational. And as of now he is not sure whether he will be able to do that. "The NATO response force has gone through a number of milestones thus far and met each one. But this one is a little bit more at risk than I would like, :* to be perfectly honest. At this point, we have not generated the force in sufficient numbers for me to be comfortable in standing up and saying we will be successful," A BIT OF AN UNDERSTATEMENT ME THINKS…. ! (GK)…, he said. Based on what officials were saying a month ago, there has not been any progress toward filling the NATO Reaction Forces requirements. This to some extent reflects the situation in other NATO projects, with member nations willing to promise to help but slow to spend the money required and commit the troops and other military resources.

"There is great political will to do more, but unfortunately the other side of that coin is that we haven’t seen an equal political will to resource more. And that has to be corrected. When NATO decides to do something, and it really wants to do something, it will generally come together. But you have to go through that process of getting the political will to instruct the military component," he said. General Jones says the Reaction Force is an important part of NATOs expansion beyond its traditional domain in Europe. He notes that the organization now has small operations in Iraq and Sudan, in addition to its large and expanding force in Afghanistan. But he says as NATO continues to re-define itself for the 21st Century, and looks to expand its influence well beyond Europe, the Reaction Force is particularly important. "The very important aspect of the NATO response force is that it is a force that can be task-organized and tailored to meet the specifics of each mission, ranging from disaster relief and humanitarian operations all the way to the higher end of things, forcible entry operations," - TERMINOLOGY FOR INVASION? (GK)...., he said. General Jones notes that in addition to the October target date for the Reaction Force, NATO plans to take over security operations throughout Afghanistan by the end of the year, and alliance leaders may decide on a further expansion of the alliance at their summit in November. All that is going on while NATO works to change the way it is organized, and the way its operations are financed. General Jones says 2006 could well be the most important year for NATO since it was founded in 1949.:ok:

scottishbeefer
8th Mar 2006, 20:22
Nothing new here.

NATO has always been SLOOOOOOOOOOW to organise stuff like this - 26 Nations need a bit of coaxing/cajoling to agree. It can react much quicker with a small tailored force when the need arises - eg Pakistan HR mission.

As to expansion, I wouldn't get too excited. NATO is fundamentally a political not military alliance. Anyone who says different hasn't worked on a NATO staff. There are plenty of willing potential partners, but they need to meet fairly strict capability criteria to join, and even then what they bring to the party is more usually political consensus, not necessarily OC. (When the good ol'US of A is the main player - we're all just a support act I'm afraid.)

The EU Battle Group is still an interesting idea, and could well see itself deployed as a parallel act to NATO, not in competition. NATO is the the USA's main tool to influence events in the only other real superpower's domain, ie the EU. Imagine if a united Europe decided to exercise its military muscle - that would actually be a significant player to rival the US. Question is, why would we want/need to do it? The Brits work brilliantly with the French & Germans at the tactical level but to conceed to them a major say in how to play the EU BG at the operational/strategic level would be difficult for us. Too much at stake with the US/UK and our influence in the EU. Yeah we're all a force for good etc, but what would happen when it came to an Iran or N.Korean mission? Would the Brits really blow the "special relationship" out of the water if the EU didn't want a kinetic solution?

Glad I'm not a decision maker!