PDA

View Full Version : NAVY or AIRFORCE Pilots here?

AgonzAE
7th Mar 2006, 20:03
I need some help. I am about to graduate with a BSME/AE degree and I want to join either the NAVY or the Air Force and fly for them. What do I need?

Alex

Tourist
7th Mar 2006, 20:08
You need to use the pprune search facility.
After that, if you still have unanswered questions feel free to ask them here.

Alternate answer.
To join the Fleet Air Arm you need to be dashing, handsome, gifted, charming (and probably debonair) and hung like a grand national winner (not necessary for the girls.)

To join the RAF you need a fondness for shiny suits and to be hung like a hamsters tongue.

Hope that helps.

AgonzAE
7th Mar 2006, 20:13
Has this topic bean beat to death?

Alex

airborne_artist
7th Mar 2006, 20:16
Tourist - In your haste to craft a witty reply you failed to note that our questioner resides on the other side of the great puddle.

Anywway, back to the Q - to join as a Navy pilot you need to be aware that there are certain rituals and traditions that go back a long way. The one concerning women in the Navy is particularly sacred.

AgonzAE
7th Mar 2006, 20:43
Ok..... What are these?

I know of some Female Pilots in the NAVY. And I am not a Female so I am not worried....

Alex

galaxy flyer
7th Mar 2006, 21:55
Back to the Thread......

First, you will need to pass the physical, the stickiest part is usually eyes and, for some reason, color vision in the AF is very difficult. It has gotten more so over the past years. Allegedly, because of night vision devices.

Second, both services are "shrinking" by significant numbers (30,000 in the AF,rant on-and the world worries about American military power--3.7% of GDP and the numbers are shrinking!-rant off), so inquire with a recruiter about OTS to pilot training slots, they maybe limited or non-existant. I faced this in 1976 (no pilot training, just navigator slots) No problem, I went off to the Air National Guard and managed to be picked up there. A good thing to research, but they are shrinking also. Active Duty pilots are being pushed into the Reserves and ANG, with a mighty hard time finding airline employment. My last unit has sent 1 or 2 folks to UPT for the last ten years.

Hope this wasn't too bleak, but if you keep at it, you will get on, assuming the physical is OK.
GF

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2006, 22:20
"To join the Fleet Air Arm you need to be dashing, handsome, gifted, charming (and probably debonair) and hung like a grand national winner (not necessary for the girls.)"

Correct - in the Navy you will be appreciated so much more by the other boys....... :E

galaxy flyer
7th Mar 2006, 22:25
On more thing......

At some point, you will have to take a battery of exams (AFOQT in the AF) which have been hated by pilots since Lt Selfridge flunked his exam and still got in a plane with Orville. Personnel types have been insisting on them ever since to avoid what happened to Lt Selfridge, I think it is only to justify their jobs, IMHO.

Anyway, deal with them, hope your score high because the exams are important. See comments on shrinking AF, above to see why they are.

GF

eagle 86
7th Mar 2006, 23:11
Oz Army has new helo equipment coming on line and is short of good candidates - weather is much better - women better looking/friendlier - beer definitely better - beaches better - where do I stop!
GAGS
E86

galaxy flyer
8th Mar 2006, 00:51
AgonzAE:

Listen to eagle86, I've been there :ok: and he knows whereof he speaks. IF, a big one, you can get into Oz. The RAAF is also v. good.

GF

Tindal, might not be so good, though:hmm:; but Amberley :mad: great!!

scottishbeefer
8th Mar 2006, 16:50
Yeah, but think of the tunnel-webs, red-backs, box jelly fish, sharks, snakes presumably, etc, etc.

Don't you want to be relaxed when you go through your morning george?!

The RAF is the way ahead if you enjoy cheap looking uniforms. Is there a better feeling than standing on the upper deck during Proc. Alpha as a new port of Irish bars/women to reject you beckons???

8th Mar 2006, 17:39
- women better looking/friendlier - where do I stop!

Stop right there. You lied already and your credibility rating is sinking like the Belgrano. :suspect:

albatross
8th Mar 2006, 18:20
I am sure it has been posted before - but what the heck it's funny.

USN or USAF?
by Bob Norris

Bob Norris is a former Naval aviator who also did a 3 year exchange tour flying the F-15 Eagle. He is now an accomplished author of entertaining books about US Naval Aviation including "Check Six" and "Fly-Off". Check out his web site at <<http://www.bobnorris.com/>> <<http://www.bobnorris.com/>>. In response to a letter from an aspiring fighter pilot on which military academy to attend, Bob replied with the following:

12 February 2004

Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies.

Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice.

Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black shoes (surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force.

And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask... pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

P.S. Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.