PDA

View Full Version : Starting a family, boy or girl

kwokwinguk
6th Mar 2006, 21:34
i'm not too sure will it be under medical or not. My friends told me that when pilots (fly often and is married) are planning to have their own family, about 90 percent of the children is likely to be girls rather than boys!!!! They say something to do with high altitude that damages male system?

Just want to be curious and get the facts right

cheers:confused:

canyonblue737
6th Mar 2006, 22:01
i'm not too sure will it be under medical or not. My friends told me that when pilots (fly often and is married) are planning to have their own family, about 90 percent of the children is likely to be girls rather than boys!!!! They say something to do with high altitude that damages male system?

Out of a good 10+ close friends of mine, all airline pilots, they all had first born girls. My first (only) child is also a girl. I have heard the that high altitude story but I don't know if it is true... only that it seems to be. Obviously many pilots do have boys though.

Old Smokey
6th Mar 2006, 23:09
Observation of the predominance of "First Child Female" statistics amongst my pilot friends backs up canyonblue737's statistics, my own "First" was also a girl.

It's also fairly reliably reported that frequent intercourse leads to a lowered sperm count, which heavily favours having a female child.:E

From these two "facts", we can draw two conclusions -

(1) Having Girl babies is much more fun:ok: :ok:

(2) Pilots must have much more fun than most people:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Regards,

Old Smokey:)

Dollond
6th Mar 2006, 23:51

The same is often said for submariners!

petitfromage
7th Mar 2006, 00:18
I can add my vote to that.....easily 80% of my friends 1st born has been a bonnie lass.

Reasons Ive are that altitude/radiation (for transport/airline types), 'g' forces (for fighter types) and prolonged (vibration for helo types) as well as prolonged sitting (keeps you love eggs too warm) and exposure to radar (not so powerful nowadays) all contributes to killing off the Y chomosomes.

XX being girls, XY being boys....apparently Y (and therefore men) are the weaker sex!?

Could all be gobbiltygook....some wise old Dr will be along any minute Im sure!

*Also, after years of mischief, its Gods way of punishing pilots!

Erebus
7th Mar 2006, 11:27
My wife and I had girl,boy,girl,boy in that order. My flying was almost all longhaul on the larger Boeings, so I don't know if any conclusions can be drawn from that sequence.

airborne_artist
7th Mar 2006, 11:34
Three girls - and none of them tidy their room:ok:

Flightlevel001
7th Mar 2006, 11:40
http://www.sexratio.com/facts.htm

This website reckons its because pilots tend to marry less-dominant women!

I heard that fighter pilots and those exposed to high G-forces are most likely to father a girl - No idea why though...

My girlfriend's dad flys for the world's favourite airline and her mother is most certainly contrary to the above statement!! :ouch:

rhythm method
7th Mar 2006, 12:23
I'll be the first to ruin your statistics then!

Two kids... both boys! My friend... two kids... both boys!
(Both our wives were russian tank drivers - does that make them dominant? :} )

However, I think the stats generally are fairly accurate, and we are the odd ones out.

kwokwinguk
7th Mar 2006, 13:13
thanks for your replies.

i was hoping to be a pilot one day as i have started my training last year, but now i'm having second thoughts whether to be a pilot or not, or wheather to married first (if she agrees) and then be a proper pilot. the risk is so great:ugh:

shgsaint
7th Mar 2006, 13:45
Does this then tempt fate?

I had a palm reading by my next door neighbour when I was about 10ish. Cant remember exactly now. Anyway she said that my first two children will be twin girls.

Now i'd like to add i'm still only 23 with neither a girlfriend or twin girls. However I am colourblind and my life long ambition is to be a pilot of somesort. The fact that I was told I will be getting two girls has really stuck in my mind.

Am I clutching at straws?

Maybe in some spooky way she was right and I will be fathering women because of my fulfillment of my life long ambition.

I'll be interested to see what will happen.

Bahn-Jeaux
7th Mar 2006, 22:56
2 girls for me and I am a low flyer in achievment terms.
Hate my job (i'm not a pro pilot :{ )
Champagne tastes on beer money income,
Worst crime of all.. my partner has ginger hair :eek: :{

Oh the shame, such humiliation.

Seriously though, there is nothing finer than the pitter patter of tiny feet no matter what gender.

Quit worrying about such trivia and be thankful you can father kids.
I am sure when those eyes peer up at you adoringly, they wont care what you do.
My kids dont and I am a slob.
(I am also under the influence of the amber fluid at this time so please excuse stupid ramblings, hic)

got caught
9th Mar 2006, 09:45
I've got 2 girls, but I rarely go above 1500 feet as I get a bit dizzy.

Penguina
13th Mar 2006, 19:56
Does this also work for female pilots, or does radiation strip us of our oestrogen or something? :uhoh: :8

tomuchwork
13th Mar 2006, 21:42
Hi,

i fly since 12 years, all airline, my only child is a 4 years old boy. And never forget - never thrust statistics, except you faked them by yourself...:)

Bendo
14th Mar 2006, 01:43
Baby girl arrived last week - I have only 3000 hours and never flown at flight levels. Not much, anyway.

We have read a book which suggests it is the timing of impregnation that does all the damage - you are only "in the zone" within 36 hours either side of ovulation.

XY (male) sperm are sprinters and if you manage to meet the egg within a couple of hours of ovulation, your chances of getting a boy are greatly increased. If the sperm have to hang around for a long time the boys all drop off and the females are left. If you impregnate after ovulation, the increased acidity also knocks the boys off, leaving the girls. :8

This theory has a 95% accuracy rate amongst our friends :ok:

We had nooky 24 hours before ovulation; missed ovulation day and said "oh well, next month..."

...there was no next month :{ ... seriously though its all good and wouldn't swap her for the world:O

DX Wombat
15th Mar 2006, 05:31
the risk is so great:ugh:
What risk would that be? If you mean the risk of producing a girl then perhaps you should look very seriously at your fitness to be a parent at all. It takes both a male and a female person to create another human being and neither is worth more or less than the other. I have to work with people who believe that boys are in someway better than girls and have seen the misery and heartache it can cause. If you really DO mean that the risk of having a girl is a problem then you need to grow up a lot more before you even think of having a baby. The world can do without such stupid ideas being perpetuated. :mad: :mad: :mad:

kwokwinguk
15th Mar 2006, 13:08
No DX Wombat, you have got it all wrong.

I know it will be nice to have kids no matter what gender they are, but to know the fact/myth that being a pilot might hinder the chance of having a boy. and, that's a worrying thing because it won't be 50/50 but like 99/01 ratio which i think it won't be fair on the boys:eek:

kwok

DX Wombat
15th Mar 2006, 17:14
Thank you Kwok, I'm delighted I got it wrong. Here's hoping you have both boys and girls when the time comes :ok:

Sean Dell
17th Mar 2006, 09:08
I have two boys and over 4500hrs shorthaul

I have several friends who work in S/H

2 have 2 boys
1 has 1 boy 1 Girl
1 has 1 girl

My Dad was a military pilot and I'm a boy (I think) but I have a sister too.

Seems 50/50 to me

ATB

Sean

Captain Airclues
17th Mar 2006, 23:37
I have only flown longhaul and we have three boys. So much for statistics!

Airclues

Capt Claret
18th Mar 2006, 04:30
A female avionics LAME I knew years ago alerted me to this phenomena. She understood that it was exposure to radar, both terminal and Wx that seemed to affect the Y sperm.

Most of the pilots I know have female children. Mine are both boys but were both born before I took up flying.

Non Normal
18th Mar 2006, 06:59
Has no-one done any scientific research into this yet?

There seems to be so much anecdote, but I've never seen any paper written on this issue (not that I've been paying much attention).

If anyone has seen a study on this, please give me the author and the title.

PENKO
20th Mar 2006, 07:58
A female avionics LAME I knew years ago alerted me to this phenomena. She understood that it was exposure to radar, both terminal and Wx that seemed to affect the Y sperm.
Most of the pilots I know have female children. Mine are both boys but were both born before I took up flying.

Terminal radar? Better ask my baggage handling friends then...and the waiter at starbucks. And the guy at the bookshop. And..

got caught
20th Mar 2006, 12:29
Non normal try having a look at medline http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gquery/gquery.fcgi?itool=toolbar

If you have no luck, consider designing a study yourself. I'd be available for flying and fathering children. (But I would like weekends off to concentrate on my hobbies!):uhoh:

Wessex Boy
20th Mar 2006, 15:09
I am a Lapsed PPL and failed Rotary ALM, so rarely strayed above 1500' but I still managed to have a Girl first, followed by a boy, oh and a reasonably dominant wife!:hmm:

Non Normal
20th Mar 2006, 16:20
Non normal try having a look at medline http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gquery/gquery.fcgi?itool=toolbar
If you have no luck, consider designing a study yourself. I'd be available for flying and fathering children. (But I would like weekends off to concentrate on my hobbies!):uhoh:

:} :}

Looked on Medline and all sorts of database but couldn't find anything! Either I'm not looking properly or there has been no serious study on it. (Thanks for the link though.)

I wouldn't mind designing a study myself, if I really can't find anything after doing quite a bit of digging around, in fact. It sounds quite interesting - I am not becoming a study subject myself though! :\

got caught
21st Mar 2006, 08:15
Yeh, I had a quick delve around, but couldn't find much. I would have thought there must be some epidemiological studies out there. I guess if you were to design a study, you'd have to be quite strict about your research question, particularly, what you define as "pilot."

If I come across anything I'll post a link.

Non Normal
21st Mar 2006, 11:52
Thanks Got Caught. This could be quite interesting.