PDA

View Full Version : RAF requirements

Sierra_Tango69
6th Mar 2006, 14:23
I was wondering if anyone knows what the Royal Air Force would prefer when it comes to chosing A levels. The requirements to apply for a pilot in the RAF is 5 GCSE pass grades, and 2 A levels. It doesn't state what subjects to chose, except a min. of English and Maths in GCSE which I have already chosen.

Maybe it doesn't really matter, but what subjects would I benefit from most? Help is kindly appreciated, thanks.

Sierra_Tango69

edit:
sorry for placing in wrong forum.

BigGrecian
6th Mar 2006, 14:55
There are no specific subjects that the RAF prefer - just exactly as it says on the website. Just 2 A Levels and 5 GCSEs. However, when I joined General Studies was not accepted as an A-Level subject for those two A-levels which are required.

For furture reference the Military Aircrew forum might be a better place to post regarding a subject like this - but noted you edited to reflect this.

Good Luck.

Wyler
6th Mar 2006, 14:58
Go for something demanding. Media studies, drama etc won't impress. Any tw*t can do that.

airborne_artist
6th Mar 2006, 15:02
You'll find Maths and Physics at A-level the most usefull if you want to apply for aircrew. Remember that the aptitude tests don't involve the use of a calculator or Excel - you'll need to be fast at mental maths, something not taught any more.

That said, I don't think your choice of subjects is that critical from a selection perspective - just make sure they are all good grades.

Daede1
6th Mar 2006, 15:09
English Language or Eng. Lit (Improves written and spoken english standards, and therefore improves overall communication skills).

Any science, political or geography - sciences for the obvious reason (they are quite hard) and the other two as they demonstrate a grasp of the wider world.

FYI, when i was at selection (With three crap A Levels D,E,E), i was told that not everyone in the RAF needs to be an academic. I passed all of the selection tests, and was told i could do anything in the RAF.

Airborne is right about mental maths - make sure that you can do the speed/distance/time calculations very quickly in your head, and when your working on the tests, dont forget common sense.

One of the tests that i sat involved getting some cargo from point A to C, as quickly as possible, using a car and a motorbike. I cant remember the scenario exactly, but i nearly proposed loading the bike up with 600kgs of freight, before i realised that i would get laughed at.

Sierra_Tango69
6th Mar 2006, 17:27
Well I have chosen Maths and Physics aswell as Psychology and Media Studies as my A levels... My weakness is maths, so i really got get working....

Thanks for the input!!

Sierra_Tango69

L1A2 discharged
6th Mar 2006, 18:56
... add a side course of politics, you will need it to climb the greasy pole. Make sure that Media Studies includes face time on screen to hone propoganda handout skills.

ratty1
6th Mar 2006, 21:19
My weakness is maths, so i really got get working....

Maths? What about English..............................

16 blades
7th Mar 2006, 05:55
Ditch the Media Studies. It is useless to you, and if as you say your Maths is weak, you will need all the time you can get to work at it. 4 A-levels is alot of work. Or at least it USED to be....

16B

charliegolf
7th Mar 2006, 07:22
Airborne,

In my new life post RAF, I'm head of a primary school.

We do nothing but mental maths from an early age: 'sums' as you will recall them, are not introduced until around 7 years old.

Our kids can manipulate ridiculously large numbers and functions mentally.

And get them right!

CG

Algy
7th Mar 2006, 08:56
That's absolutely true. My kids left with primary school in last 2-3 years with astounding mental maths skills because the syllabus says they should. (How the heck do you do that thing with the rule of 9s or whatever it's called???)

airborne_artist
7th Mar 2006, 09:49
I've got three kids - 18, 14 and 12. The younger two are good at mental maths, because a) the 14 y/o is brilliant at maths and b) the 12 y/o was taught it. The 18 y/o, who got an A* in her GCSE Maths, and has done an AS in Maths, is lousy at it. I don't think it had much emphasis in the syllabus as she went through, hence my advice to the OP.

Even so, it still needs to be practiced, which isn't something you get in secondary school/sixth form.

Sierra_Tango69
7th Mar 2006, 12:48
Ditch the Media Studies. It is useless to you, and if as you say your Maths is weak, you will need all the time you can get to work at it. 4 A-levels is alot of work. Or at least it USED to be....

16B

Well I can't find anything else that I am interested in.

Yea my mental maths could be better... I mean I know the basics, but the advanced stuff is what I have to start practising.

So mental maths seems to be an important factor, (could anyone kindly give me some examples of what i would expect)

Thanks

Sierra_Tango69

Wyler
7th Mar 2006, 13:28
ST69.

All praise to you for coming on here to ask advice but if you can't raise your sights above Media Studies than you will be in for one hell of a shock when it comes to basic, and professional, training.
I cannot emphasise the mental maths angle as well. You will be amazed at how difficult it is to add two numbers together when you are in a dynamic and stressful environment.
So, best to start training your mind early. Pick a demanding subject and practice gymnastics with your brain. Been out of the trg loop for a while so i will leave it to others to give you pointers in that direction.
Having said that, practice compass bearings. By that I mean, look at a heading and then work out the reciprical heading, and then 90 degrees off that, then the reciprical off that and so on. Do the same, but counting through North. :confused:
Will stand back for others with better ideas.

16 blades
7th Mar 2006, 14:43
Speed / Distance / Time calculations are relevant and helpful training. Do them whilst driving - every time you pass a 'milestone' sign on the motorway, work out EXCATLY how long it will take you to get there at your current speed. (tip - 60 mph is 1 mile/minute; work in 60s or fractions of 60 and it becomes easier).

Example - you are doing 80mph and pass a sign that says 40 miles to go. If you were doing 60, it would take 40 mins. At 80, it would take you 60/80*40mins (3/4 of the time). Work out how much time you'd save accelerating to 90, etc. Helps while away a boring motorway journey as well.

Did I say 80mph? Obviously I meant 70......or that you were on an autobahn...

16B

Sierra_Tango69
7th Mar 2006, 14:49
Speed / Distance / Time calculations are relevant and helpful training. Do them whilst driving - every time you pass a 'milestone' sign on the motorway, work out EXCATLY how long it will take you to get there at your current speed. (tip - 60 mph is 1 mile/minute; work in 60s or fractions of 60 and it becomes easier).

Example - you are doing 80mph and pass a sign that says 40 miles to go. If you were doing 60, it would take 40 mins. At 80, it would take you 60/80*40mins (3/4 of the time). Work out how much time you'd save accelerating to 90, etc. Helps while away a boring motorway journey as well.

Did I say 80mph? Obviously I meant 70......or that you were on an autobahn...

16B

Cheers mate.

I appreciate this tips.:ok:
Glad there are people here to help!

Sierra_Tango69

Large Dave
7th Mar 2006, 20:15
I think this 'one A-level is harder than another A-level' is BS. ST69 should play to his strengths to gain the best grades he can. In this case, Media Studies and Psychology counter-balance Maths and Physics and demonstrates a rounded educational base which will impress OASC. Switching from integrating equations to lengthy, detailed essay-based analysis is plenty mental gymansticism.

As has been said, however, academics are a single part of the package. Make sure you're getting involved with all the adventurous, sporting and community stuff you can also, because if you don't then someone else will be. It's a competitive game. Try and fit some computer games in as well for the aptitude tests- flying ILSs on Flight Sim is good for this, and assists with your aviation knowledge.

Sierra_Tango69
8th Mar 2006, 10:22
I think this 'one A-level is harder than another A-level' is BS. ST69 should play to his strengths to gain the best grades he can. In this case, Media Studies and Psychology counter-balance Maths and Physics and demonstrates a rounded educational base which will impress OASC. Switching from integrating equations to lengthy, detailed essay-based analysis is plenty mental gymansticism.

As has been said, however, academics are a single part of the package. Make sure you're getting involved with all the adventurous, sporting and community stuff you can also, because if you don't then someone else will be. It's a competitive game. Try and fit some computer games in as well for the aptitude tests- flying ILSs on Flight Sim is good for this, and assists with your aviation knowledge.

Cheers mate!! Ill take it all into account, this is greatly appreciated. Thanks pal.
Yea when it comes to sports and things like that, there is no problems, i play sports regularly, however with the gaming, well i dont do too much of that.. Maybe gonna have to start a little soon.

Thanks again everyone for this great advice.. and still don't hesitate to post anymore advice, its all taken into account and appreciated greatly.

Cheers.

ST69