PDA

View Full Version : Hyperopia

richardlong
6th Mar 2006, 12:20
Dear all,

I have an error of +8.75/+8.25 and 6/6 each eye.

I have been flying since the age of 13 (now 22) and hold a FAA Class I medical and FAA PPL.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with obtaining a JAR Class I medical or a non-US citizen getting an airline job on a FAA ATP before I shell out £xx'xxx?!!!

I understand there are non-US operators who accept FAA licenced aircrew???

Thanks

Rich

Irishwingz
6th Mar 2006, 13:59
Mate

Not good news, first up you will not get the Jar Class 1 medical with that prescription. I have been trying for years and mine is +5.50/+6.0. I'm told I can get a Jar Class 2 but they do not allow the same flexibility with long sightednesss than they do for short sightedness. I have comminiacted several times with the UK CAA about this and only in Nov did the medical rules get updated without any changes to the long sightedness.

I have a New Zealand Class 1 and would get an FAA one aswell but to get a JAR medical it doesnt make any difference, you start from sqaure one unless you have an FAA ATPL but even then it wont make the difference you need.

PM me for more if you wish

Sorry!

richardlong
6th Mar 2006, 16:47
Thanks for reply,

I have looked at NZ CAA medical requirements. Am I correct in deducing that I would be eligible for Class 1 cert. if contact lenses are worn and they do not place an upper limit on the refractive error?

As for JAR/UK CAA, you simply confirmed what I was fearing. I will no doubt be following FAA ATP route. Any word on non-US citizens ending up in flying jobs?

Irishwingz
6th Mar 2006, 17:00
NZ CAA allow up to +7.00 with contacts I'm afraid

Stick with the USA my friend.

I dont know anything about chances of jobs for non-US but I would place a question on the questions forum or North america forum.

Best of luck with it, who knows Europe may soon follow the USAs example on eyesight rules

DuffyDuck
5th Jul 2006, 20:13
Hey Richard.
I know, it“s a long time ago you posted here. But I can answer you one of your questions.
I personally know some german guys who have got an us- atpl and have a job!
one is flying a n-registered bizjet in germany and the other in riad.
but at least for the one flyingin riad, is wasn“t that easy to get a job. it took quite a long time to get hours and he had to do a lot of freelancing untill he finally made it.