PDA

View Full Version : Places to fly for a day out

stuartforrest
6th Mar 2006, 10:01
Hi fountain of knowledge that is the Pprune Private flying forum. I need help to further my flying.

I am trying to think of some new places to take fly to with the family in our Bonanza at weekends and I though there may be some suggestions from the board?

We are a family with 4 children of which one is a baby and one is disabled so needless to say we are not that portable.

I am trying to think of some airfields that are a good day out from our base at Blackpool (EGNH). We have worn Caernarfon very thin but that is a typcial example of where we like to go. Food and a beech with ice cream for the kids. They are not that bothered about flying but dont mind if there is an icecream at the end of it.

We also did Brighton (Shoreham) last year but getting the taxi into the town for all of us wasnt that easy. That said we had a great day once we were there.

Can anyone suggest some airfields that may provide a good day out. Beech is not essential but nice.

Bonanza likes a decent strip. I have not been into much less than 700 metres with everyone on board but would be OK a bit shorter.

Obviously distance is not too important within reason as the A36 trundles along at more than 165 Knots.

I also dont mind some foreign suggestions. Le Touquet is nice. That sort of thing but not much further as I get sick of listening to "are we nearly there" and "I feel sick".

benhurr
6th Mar 2006, 10:13
Stuart,

Perranporth in Cornwall was fun with my kids, Deauville (for Honfleur) might be a bit of a long taxi trip.

Stornaway, Oban (if still available) are great for sight seeing. Edinburgh is pretty easy. Skeegness is fun but might be a bit short and grassy for you! Guernsey was great, never done Jersey or Alderney.

What I tend to do is go and check places out with friends before taking the family, only problem is that I tend to forget about taking the family!

stuartforrest
6th Mar 2006, 12:42
Thanks for the reply. I have done Oban but we forgot the kids and went for lunch off the airfield. I have also driven to Perranporth to have a look when I was in Cornwall but it wasnt that close to anywhere that wasnt a taxi ride.

I am thinking of places that are walking distance from something. I have considered Skegness but not tried it yet. I believe it is about 700 metres so if the grass is smooth it will be fine I suspect.

MikeeB
6th Mar 2006, 12:46
Not tried it, but I believe you can fly into Skegness. Not got my charts here to check.

However a quick google indicated it might be possible. Clue in one of the pictures :)

http://www.skegnesswaterleisurepark.co.uk/pages/railway.php

airborne_artist
6th Mar 2006, 13:35
Similarly Swansea Airport is situated in the beautiful Gower national park

With some cracking beaches, but not within walking distance. Port Eynon might be the best for your team, it's about 8 miles from the airfield. Good Fish and Chip shop by the beach..

GK430
6th Mar 2006, 14:45
How about flying in to an airshow over the summer months. Some have lots of attractions for kids let alone the flying.

stuartforrest
6th Mar 2006, 15:12
Thanks for these. We will be doing some airshows for def. but that would be deemed as for my benefit for the family. I am looking for things I can claim I am doing for their benefit :)

No seriously the suggestions are great so keep them coming. I am noting them down for future use.

pulse1
6th Mar 2006, 15:40
I haven't been there for years but Pembrey used to be quite good for the beach. Might be a bit short for a Bonanza though.

stuartforrest
6th Mar 2006, 15:52
Thats plenty long enough for me. I will add it to my list.

Johnm
6th Mar 2006, 18:55
Stop off at Lands End en route to Scilly Isles!

Plenty for kids to do there.

cblinton@blueyonder.
6th Mar 2006, 19:11
Stuart (fellow Bonanza pilot)
Go to Quiberon, its not to far in the Bonanza and has lots for the kids, including beach and local activities.

http://www.quiberonairclub.com/index_eng.htm

stuartforrest
6th Mar 2006, 19:35
St Marys sounds nice.

I drove past Lands End airfield. It seemed a fair way from anything exciting although it was nice.

Quiberon looks great. I am adding that to my list. About 2.15 from Blackpool. They might whinge a bit but its OK. Not that much further than some of the Scottish places I intended taking them to.

Cricket23
6th Mar 2006, 20:26
What about the Isle of Wight. I guess it would have to be Bembridge - although I don't know the runway length and haven't got a Pooley's handy.

Also, for interest on the airfield, you could try Duxford - plenty of nice aeroplanes for the kids to crawl over.

The there's Beccles, just a few miles from Great Yarmouth.

Or Cambridge, where you could take a punt and have a nice picnic by the Cam.

Or Goodwood on a car racing day if your kids like cars, but if not, then again it's not to far from Bognor/Littlehampton - both are stoney beaches, but I've had many a happy hour down there as a child.

There is also probably an airfield near Bovington in Dorest, but I can't recall one at the moment (no doubt somebody will know one). You could go to the tank museum. Check their website as they have special tank days where they get a load of them out and 'race' them up and down. The kids will love all the noise.

Have fun,

C23

davidatter708
7th Mar 2006, 18:23
Thought about going to leicester? You could go and see the space centre but getting to it would be the problem.

stuartforrest
7th Mar 2006, 20:18
No I never thought of Leicester. Been there once on my qualifying X-country many years ago. It was a very hot day and I didnt think the Terrorhawk was going to get off the runway towards the end of it.

I will give that one a look though. Thanks.

camaro
7th Mar 2006, 23:06
Can recommend Skegness. Short walk (approx 1/4 mile) from airfield to main road outside Butlins where there is a bus service into town every 10 mins or so. Also from Butlins there is a bus in the other direction to Ingoldmells where there is an amusement park (big roller coaster) and large outdoor market. Butlins and the roller coaster at Ingoldmells can be seen from miles away and make navigation easy. Just watch out for kids in the caravan/waterpark flying kites on final!
:ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
8th Mar 2006, 03:18
Both less than 2 hours in your fast beasty, EHTX and EBOS.

The first if you fancy a bit of beach day the latter if you want to combine it with some shopping.

Both are good fun.

GK430
8th Mar 2006, 07:52
cblinton@blueyonder

- If that was you descending ahead of us out of the airway into EGBJ in an "N" reg on Sunday, just out of curiosity, where were you inbound from?
Have you got de-icing on that A.36?

stuartforrest
8th Mar 2006, 08:49
No sorry it wasnt me. I cleverly decided to take my plane off the N reg with all the fuss going on and now I am G Reg. Also I dont have de-icing. My plane is here.

http://www.gotoair.com

stuartforrest
8th Mar 2006, 08:50
Sorry just realised that message wasnt for me. Doh!

GK430
8th Mar 2006, 10:10
Not to worry Stuart - very nice too!

I must say, being able to drop the gear at 154 kts sounds like an incredible plus.

Presumably it is turbo charged and you have to consider power reduction for cooling, rather than coming honking in full tilt and totally relying on getting the gear down a couple of miles out?

GK430
8th Mar 2006, 10:19
P.S. Kemble June 18th - bouncy castles, ice cream....no beach, but hopefully lots of sunshine! (And a good air display!)

stuartforrest
8th Mar 2006, 14:27
No its not turbocharged. Just 10 litres of normally aspirated engine.

Bonanza's are slippery beasts. Before I had this I had a 182 which slowed down as sone as you pulled back the throttle. The A36 doesnt unless you get gear or flaps down!

Shame about Kemble but I am on my stag do that weekend. Thanks for the info anyway.

GK430
8th Mar 2006, 14:56
Shame about Kemble but I am on my stag do that weekend.

and that raises a lot of new unrelated questions:uhoh:

cblinton@blueyonder.
8th Mar 2006, 16:41
cblinton@blueyonder

- If that was you descending ahead of us out of the airway into EGBJ in an "N" reg on Sunday, just out of curiosity, where were you inbound from?
Have you got de-icing on that A.36?

I was inbound from Nantes but its BE 35 not an A36:ok:

stocker
8th Mar 2006, 16:53
Try Kirknewton by Edinburgh, loads of black cabs to suit your needs and only 15/20 mins into city centre Approx £12/£15 each way.
Landing fees at Kirknewton,donations accepted.
Here are a few handy numbers.

Kirknewton 01506885555
Edinburgh ATC(for booking,Kirk is in the zone) 01313336239
Edinburgh atis 01313336216
City Cabs 01312281211
Central Taxis 01312292468

Plenty to do in Centre,nice big park for the kids and loads of kiddy friendly restaraunts and an amazing zoo.
Check out Mobility Scotland if your requirements include a wheelchair as I have seen them in the city centre with free chairs(also battery powered) during the summer months.

stuartforrest
8th Mar 2006, 17:38
Kirknewton - Thats a great suggestion. Is it grass or tarmac. I cant find much info on google about it.

GK430
8th Mar 2006, 18:02
cblinton

Well, you were but a speck - visually and on TCAS and then you were behind us on the twy - so recognising you as a Beech was pretty good to start with;)

RS2
9th Mar 2006, 16:04
If your still looking for somewhere to visit, pay Wolverhampton a visit on 24th June (see below). Landing fee for twins under 3 metric tonees is only £20 and I think a king Air is only £65.

We'd like to encourage anyone reading this thread to pay us a visit on the 24th June 2006. On the 24th Wolverhampton (Halfpenny Green) is playing host to Project Propellor (see http://www.projectpropeller.co.uk/ for info) which basically aims to is to match up WWII RAF air crew with current pilots and to gather together for a day at a significant location. Whilst project propellor will have their own speakers, lunch etc we are hoping to attract general visitors and plan to have a few attractions at the airport. Although details havent been finalised yet we are hoping to have items on display from cadets, vintage/miltary/steam vehicles on display, trade stalls, bouncy castle etc. The cafe ok will be open as normal but we should also have a BBQ's on the go along with the fully licensed bar for the non aircrew !! Unfortunately this event has to be self funded, ie we have to pay for the extra loos etc so we are unable to offer many concesions but on the plus side, if we do raise any surplus then consideration will be given to some of the local charities, air scouts, cadets, air ambulance etc. To try to add an air of nostalgia for the ex aircrew members that will be attending through Project Propellor, and also to try to add a bit of variety at EGBO on the day, we have managed to secure one concession, any militarry marked aircraft, current / historic / overseas marks etc will not have to pay a landing fee. More information will be available soon, and I will try to keep you posted on any updates, confirmed attendances etc.

In short...
24th June 2006
EGBO Wolverhampton Airport (Halfpenny Green)
Fly In
3 Hard Runways plus the unlicencesed 350m grass strip should also be operational.
Free landing fees for any military marked aircraft.
Single engine aircraft, multi engined engined aircraft, helicopters and three axis microlights welcome.(Sadly we cannot accept flexiwing's at the moment)
Ground attractions
A good, fun day out.

PPR is not essential but would be preferred if possible.

If you require any further information, please head up an email with Wolverhampton Fly In and forward to either [email protected] or [email protected]. We would love to update a list of possible attending aircraft types.

Thanks for reading.

Hairyplane
10th Mar 2006, 08:49
Old Warden will be no problem on a flying day because we open up the 03/21runway extension. If its long enough for the DH88 Comet......

Dont forget to bring some chairs, table and a picnic. You will be collected in a Landrover from the visitors parking area so you wont need to lug anything very far.

Alternatively, why not consider one of the evening shows and stop over in the Mansion? Cheap as chips and pure nostalgia. You could have a drink then?! Your bird will be perfectly safe overnight.

The Flying Proms is a must ( proper bubbly picnic required for that one!) Check out the website.

Another hoot of a place to visit with the 'dustbin lids' is Clacton. A short walk to the Pier via the sea front - dodgems, candy floss,bingo, 'kiss me quick' hats, rock - the lot! There is also a terrific fish and chip restaurant opposite the pier across the main road and down some steps. Alternatively, you can do the native thing, sit amongst the shell suits on the park bench and troff your fish chips and mushy peas with a wooden fork out of a poly tray - style!

If you havent visited Clackers before you need a brief because there is a public footpath running across the runway at mid point. Plenty long enough for you machine, twins use it. I have been in and out in PA32/ 300.

For some reason, not many pilots seem to visit.

Dont forget the buckets and spades. The beach is safe to swim too.

Hairy

stocker
10th Mar 2006, 12:08
Kirknewton is tar(looks worse than it is,if in doubt stick to North side). In Pooleys pullout page for Edinburgh you can see location but its not in the latest Pooleys. If you know anyone who has one from a couple of years ago it is definately in there. Initial contact is with Edinburgh Approach on 121.2.
There is gliding at the weekends but its not that busy.

stuartforrest
10th Mar 2006, 12:18
stocker I have now made some pm message space as it was full if you are trying to send me something.

rvsm compliant
10th Mar 2006, 19:04
how about norwich
not far from the broads for a pleasure trip,visit norwich castle,shop in the new mall alot better than 'hounds hill'

tripin
10th Mar 2006, 19:23
alderney is the best of the chanel isles icecrean beach pubs for those disabled walking might be to far but on a 3 1/2 x 1 1/2 mile island nowhere is to far in one of the friendly taxis. if visiting lands end ring the flying club in advance they should be able to advise a hire company who can drop a car to the field, the best beeches in the country within 2-3 miles ,lands end complex great for the kids good luck and hope to see you in alderney where i now live after my early visits as a private pilot

Say again s l o w l y
10th Mar 2006, 19:45
How about Lindisfarne or Eshott? I've got to go to both tomorrow.......:mad:

MikeJ
12th Mar 2006, 15:01
To me, one of the most obvious is Guernsey. Tiny landing fee and tax free fuel. Car hire is cheap, and buses run regularly one way to the glorious northern beaches and ice creams galore, and the other way into town.

I'm told that the long isolation of the light aircraft park/control tower from the terminal, whilst the new terminal was being built, is now over and one can take just the short walk.

Anyone with more info on this?

Mike.

stuartforrest
12th Mar 2006, 15:14
Hmm I was going to test out one of the suggestions today but the snow meant it wasnt a great day for it. Shame.

Eshott, Lindesfarne and Guernsey are all on my list. Ta.

Say again s l o w l y
12th Mar 2006, 15:19
I was joking about Lindesfarne! There's nowhere to land unless you're in the poop.

stuartforrest
12th Mar 2006, 16:01
Oh its no problem, I will just take my Jet Ranger when we go there!

GK430
13th Mar 2006, 07:36
Mike J

EGJB

You call security from AIS and meet them at a gate by the fuel farm - it's a much shorter route, but you remain landside in effect, except between two locked gates.