PDA

View Full Version : PPL study books for whoever wants them

futurshox
5th Mar 2006, 13:51
Hi,
A friend of mine empties the local book banks for Oxfam. He has come upon a large pile of PPL study guides, which there is no way Oxfam are going to sell in their shops; the books would be on the shelf for years. So he has asked me to dispose of them. They're a bit old though so I don't know how useful they will be to anyone now.
I list below what I have; if anyone wants them please let me know. Pickup would be greatly preferred (or I can meet halfway if not too far) as they're not really postable; it's a big heavy pile! I'm in West Suffolk, UK.
Given the circumstances, I would ask that whoever has them might like to make a donation to Oxfam. Thanks.
OK, here they are with publication dates:
Professional Pilot Study Guide (Airlife) vol.1: Piston Engines & Supercharging 1991
Professional Pilot Study Guide (Airlife) vol.2: Gas Turbine Engines 1991
Professional Pilot Study Guide (Airlife) vol.8: Advanced Flying Systems 1994
CAA Aviation Medicine Manual CAP567 1990
CAA Speciment Performance Charts CAP385 1994
CAA Radiotelephony Manual CAP413 1984
Trevor Thom, The Air Pilot's Manual 1: Flying Training 1987
Trevor Thom, The Air Pilot's Manual 2: Aviation Law & Meterology 1987
Trevor Thom, The Air Pilot's Manual 3: Air Navigation 1987
Trevor Thom, The Air Pilot's Manual 5: Radio Navigation Instrument Flying 1989
Trevor Thom, The Air Pilot's Manual 6: Human Factors & Pilot Performance 1994
Jeppesen Private Pilot Exercises 1989
Jeppesen Private Pilot Maneuvers 1989
Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual 1990
Jeppesen Private Pilot Syllabus 1990
Jeppesen Federal Aviation Regulations 1990
Jeppesen big heavy leather covered ringbound Airway Manual 1994
British Airline Pilots Association: Fit to Fly, a medical handbook for pilots second edition x2 1988
Chris O'Malley: The Pilot's R/T Handbook 1991
Avebury Technical: Human Factors for Pilots 1991
Ashgate: Human Factors for Pilots 1991 (same as Avebury version)
Phil Croucher (Airlife): The Professional Pilot's Manual 1990
Checklist/FOP for AA-5A and AA-5B x2
Irv Jasinski: Airline Pilot Interviews (How to get hired) 1987
A pile of un-used Jeppesen Navigation Log sheets obviously meant for a 7-hole ringbinder, slightly taller than A5 size
Laurie Taylor: Air Travel, How Safe Is It? 1988
Davis Ogilvy: UK Airspace, Is It Safe? 1989

High Wing Drifter
5th Mar 2006, 14:37
For anyody with commercial aspirations, I think that the Phil Croucher The Professional Pilot's Manual is an excellent read. That's just my wannabe opinion.

ultimatepro63
5th Mar 2006, 16:23
i would have them , great reads for a 13 year old like me !!!!

problem being that i cant drive or afford postage otherwise i would love them they would keep me busy !!!!!!!!

link4
5th Mar 2006, 20:58
ultimatepro63,

first of all its 'I will have them'.

Secondly if you want them all (which i very much doubt you will read them all) at least have the courtesy to fork out postage money.

You cannot expect them delivered to your doorstep, nothing in this world is free

mcgoo
5th Mar 2006, 21:09
link4 why don't you read his post again, he is saying "i would have them, problem being i can't drive or afford postage"

he didn't say "i will have them, bring them to me for nothing"

link4
5th Mar 2006, 21:16
mcgoo,

im sure there are lots of people who feel the same way as ultimatepro63 and are in the same position, but no-one else is posting that.

Case in point is 'if anyone wants them let me know', not 'if anyone wants them but dont have the means to get them let me know'

:cool:

mcgoo
5th Mar 2006, 21:24
i just think it was a bit harsh for a 13 year old showing an interest!

link4
5th Mar 2006, 21:26
Wasnt meant to be harsh, ive had worse, trust me.

This is pprune remember! :ok:

ultimatepro63
6th Mar 2006, 06:46
link4 why don't you read his post again, he is saying "i would have them, problem being i can't drive or afford postage"
he didn't say "i will have them, bring them to me for nothing"

exactly ,high wing saying that makes me feel i shoudnt have even posted it at least there are young keen people who do show intrest in aviation, but you bring no hope to someone like me who
reads alot of books .

Keep it straight
6th Mar 2006, 07:06
ultimate pro cant provide the money to get the books sent over him and get slacked off for that. i think at least half off the people who learn to fly in the real world don't have the money for that either and get a studentloan. whats the differens?? we are all entusiastic about our flying young or old, private or comercial.
keep at it mate and ultimatly you will be pro!!

Whirlygig
6th Mar 2006, 07:07
Why is it when anyone says something that is uncalled-for, the defence is "this is pprune"? Yes, this IS pprune but that doesn't give you carte blanche to have a pop at a 13 year old who was merely expressing his disappointment. If everyone was only to post replies that were deep and meaningful with insight and significance, then Pprune would be a very dull place with no new blood coming through (mind you Danny wouldn't need a new server so often).

As for the list of books, most appear to be quite old and pre-JAA which might make their worth neglible for anyone wanting to use them for exam study. I'm not sure I could trust the validity of the information - certainly air law has changed!

Cheers

Whirls

S-Works
6th Mar 2006, 07:14
And we wonder why aviation is dying in this country.......... :{

Futuresox please arrange to ship them to ultimatepro and PM me for payment for the shipping. Cost of shipping just about wets the spark plugs on my Porsche.

even if they are not upto date they will be a great source of aviation information to fire a 13yr old's imagination, give a teenager direction and maybe even takes a step towards slowing the decline of British aviation.

nosefirst
6th Mar 2006, 07:40
Happy to chip in for the postage costs, how about a PPRune whip round? Bose-x, send me a PM and I will arrange something with you. :ok:

futurshox
6th Mar 2006, 07:51
bose-x and nosefirst, that is very kind of you. Thank you.

I will find out how much it will cost to ship them.

Meanwhile, ultimatepro63, can you please PM me your address? Ta!

ultimatepro63
6th Mar 2006, 15:54
thanks futurshox i sent a pm to you with my address

thank you again (i sent pms) to bose x, and nose first as they have made me happy with joy :ok: :ok: :ok: :) :)

High Wing Drifter
6th Mar 2006, 16:31
exactly ,high wing saying that makes me feel i shoudnt have even posted
All I said that the professional pilots manual would have been good enough for Jehovah :O

Rote 8
6th Mar 2006, 17:09
Futurshox

I appreciate that you may already have dispatched this library to ultimatepro and in any event if not you may be unwilling to post some of these books out but if not there are a couple that would be of great interest to me (a CPL/IR trying to find the first rung on the ladder), that would conversely probably be a bit ‘full on’ for a thirteen year old (no offence ultimatepro).

Specifically I would be interested in

Professional Pilot Study Guide (Airlife) vol.1: Piston Engines & Supercharging Professional Pilot Study Guide (Airlife) vol.2: Gas Turbine Engines
Professional Pilot Study Guide (Airlife) vol.8: Advanced Flying Systems
Phil Croucher (Airlife): The Professional Pilot's Manual 1990
Irv Jasinski: Airline Pilot Interviews (How to get hired) 1987
Jeppesen big heavy leather covered ringbound Airway Manual 1994 – (useful for trying to maintain some IF currency with ASA OnTop)

I am in Shropshire so collection is a bit impractical but if you are willing to send them I would be happy to reimburse the costs of postage and make a donation to Oxfam or a charity of your choice. Just send me a PM. If you have already sent them to ultimatepro, or if he wants these titles then good for him and please disregard this message.

Thanks

ultimatepro63
6th Mar 2006, 17:19
All I said that the professional pilots manual would have been good enough for Jehovah :O

oh sorry mate i meant link4

ultimatepro63
9th Mar 2006, 15:01
hi today i received the books and would like to say thank you to everyone
who supported me and bose-x and nose first for paying postage and futurshox for just being great