PDA

View Full Version : MAN - STN / MAN- NWI query please

Krystal n chips
5th Mar 2006, 07:43
I have a little problem here and need some advice please. I have to get an elderly relative to East Anglia for Easter. Times and days are flexible enough to book well in advance so no problem there. However, my queries concern the load factors on these routes, the types used and the criteria for ID when checking in. The relative in question is my mother ( 83 ) and, whilst she is more than happy to fly, wheel chair assist. would be required at both ends.

The alternatives are a "change here, there and everywhere" trip on the rail network---although with MAN-STN this should only involve one change at Peterborough--or I make 2 return journeys to deliver and collect.

Flying would seem the best option in terms of expediency, but I would like to know more about the routes / operators before I commit to this option.

Any and all impartial advice welcome please.

jack_essex
5th Mar 2006, 07:47
Hi,

Air Berlin fly twice a day from MAN - STN. The fares are about £40 return.

lexxity
5th Mar 2006, 08:11
Eastern Airways run MAN-NWI on jetstreams (IIRC) the fares though are, usually, eyewateringly high.

Departures Beckham
22nd Mar 2006, 16:22
Probably too late now, but have you considered National Express? I'm told by a friend called Wallace Arnold that elderly people like coaches. The coach journey is however listed at about six and a half hours (maybe too long for her), with two direct services each day to Cambridge (maybe more convenient for you than STN).

She'd get to take in the sights of Sheffield, Mansfield, Nottingham and Leicester along the way!

Hotel Mode
22nd Mar 2006, 16:32
I'm assuming Norwich is the ultimate destination? If so there is a direct train every hour from Manchester, takes just over 4 hours.