PDA

View Full Version : Laser Eye Surgey - Class 1 Medical Ambiguity

frustratedATC
4th Mar 2006, 19:42
At present I am collating information to send to the CAA at Gatwick with a view to obtaining a Class One Medical.

I have read the numerous threads concerning Laser Eye Surgery and the pros and cons. I took the leap of faith around 14 months ago.....

My pre-op prescription was -5.25 and -7.00 - my post-op prescription stabilised straight away at -0.75 (both eyes) and has remained so ever since (without glare etc).

By the letter of the law (CAA law) my eyesight (pre-op) was within limits for retaining a Class One (-8.00) but outside the limits for initial issue (-5.00). Now I have had the operation my eyesight is within limits for initial issue except for the snag with my pre-op prescription....

Has anyone had any experience of the CAA pre-op limit and their application of the 'grey area' between issue and re-issue of Class One eyesight minima???

If anyone could shed any ligh (pun excused), it would be very much appreciated...thanks.

Loose rivets
5th Mar 2006, 01:27
It's very marginal in one eye, how do/will they know what the original prescription was?

Niland
5th Mar 2006, 06:26
It seems with people who are in the "grey area" they are happier if you have a JAR PPL and class 2 before you apply for class 1. Stabilty of prescription pre/post op is important too.

frustratedATC
5th Mar 2006, 09:05
Thanks for the postings - it is a requirement that I provide pre-op prescriptions from opticians and the laser eye-op pre-op assessment.

Long-term plan is to gain ATPL when I leave my current light-blue suit, and hopefully leave my controllers headset to gather dust. It all hinges on obtaining a Class One medical before I start the expensive bit of flight training (post-PPL).

All subject to CCA Medicals of course...