PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye wannabes, hello jets!

Luke SkyToddler
4th Mar 2006, 16:21
Well I'm extremely glad to report to my long term colleagues and fellow battlers here in the wannabes forum, most of whom I've never met, so many of whom I've drawn inspiration from, and quite a few that I feel I know like good mates, after a decade of running my mouth off around PPRuNe :

I have finally, after

10 years, 9 months and 17 days since my first day of professional flying training
3,265 flying hours
One year of unemployment
5 and a half years in crap, poorly paid, single piston instructing jobs
One and a half years flying multi pistons
2 years, 9 months on turboprops
Two professional flying licences in two different countries
8 house moves
One across-the-world move
Three failed long term relationships
One incredible, lovely, fantastic, understanding and supportive wife
Two abortive jet-job interviews
NZ$55,000
UK£20,000 - ish (possibly more, to be honest I lost count halfway through the IR conversion)
About 970000000 times where I felt like jacking it all in, and going & working as an office drone

... I have just received the golden phone call of all golden phone calls, and I'm starting on the A320 with a large UK operator in a few weeks.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Was it worth it? Hell yes. Raise a glass to me tonight!!

haughtney1
4th Mar 2006, 16:23
:ok: luke mate....I for one know you deserve it more than most..well done dude:}
P.S. only 8 moves?..light weight:}

small_dog
4th Mar 2006, 16:25
Well done! Your determination has paid off!
:ok:

winch launch
4th Mar 2006, 16:26
congratulations,

I have to wait 10 years, 9 months and 17 days minus 5 months then, but I am sure it will be great fun and worth it.

Blue skies and good luck with the rest

Winch

Delta Wun-Wun
4th Mar 2006, 18:22
Well done the industry is moving again. For all you who get despondant and we all do, that is what is meant by keeping flying. Do anything that is offered to keep yourself current. Things will happen but not necessarily in the first few months of qualifying as some people would have you believe.:cool:

Just another student
4th Mar 2006, 20:38
Congratulations :)

Its great to hear about people making it into the RHS, you have obviously put a hell of a lot of work into getting there.

Well done!

JAS

papazulu
4th Mar 2006, 20:51
Nice my-life breakdown, mate!
About to start the first of those XXX FIng yrs, 5 after first T/O, so half way to your happy ending, I suppose. Hopefully I won't loose the ONLY lovely beauty sitting beside me (and make her the ONLY long term relationship of my life) on the way to that golden phonecall. I wish is gonna be on a bizjet...However enjoy the Nintendo-jet:p

:ok: PZ

A320rider
4th Mar 2006, 21:12
10 years is normal,...wannabe make me laugh when they say they did not find anything after 6 months
I should be the next one...

congratulation!

FirstOfficer
4th Mar 2006, 21:13
Persistance always pays off at the end of the day :) :ok:

I am one of those that pays attention to your comments and views around wannabes forum, for that thank you.

Wishing you good luck with the new adventure, and i hope you will still be around to help us wannabes, i am sure other prooners like me will appreciate that.

So here is a glass of.................................

.................. orange Juice :O :p sorry i don't do alcohool :}

FO
:8

Gnirren
4th Mar 2006, 21:14
Fantastic job, best of luck to you!

An2
4th Mar 2006, 21:50
LukeSkyToddler,
I shall raise a glass of Laphroigh in thy honour!!:ok:
To,..stamina, never-give-up-, do-whatever-it-takes-attitude.....
Bottom's up!!
I'll go and fill that glass up again....
Here goes the next one!!:}

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th Mar 2006, 08:55
Well done.

:)

scroggs
5th Mar 2006, 09:31
Excellent news, Luke. I hope it meets all your expectation!

Scroggs

Clipperpan
5th Mar 2006, 14:21
Hi man :)
Congratulations!!!!!
Hope you enjoy your new job! ;)
I'm sure you will :ok:

VC10 Rib22
5th Mar 2006, 14:41
Luke,
You have travelled across many galaxies (okay, a small hop across one), fought many battles (women like these) but never gave up. It just goes to show.........the force was with you.
A warm congratulations, just look out for those Sith training captains.
VC10 Rib22
:ok:

Craggenmore
5th Mar 2006, 17:29
LST,

After all you have gone through, PLEASE make sure the Darkside dont make you pay for the rating! Very well done!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/starwars/star-wars-smiley-023.gif

BOZZATO
5th Mar 2006, 17:59
Hi there Luke!

Just wanted to say congratulations and well done!

Hope you enjoy enjoy the A320, i've flown the sim and she's a fantastic machine to fly!

Regards

Bozzato

High Wing Drifter
5th Mar 2006, 18:47
Congratulations, Luke! I only seem to have a bottle of something called "Waggle Dance" left over. Seems as good a time as any - Cheers!

aswind
5th Mar 2006, 18:57
Congrats Luke! I wish you the best!
Hope you'll enjoy everyday in the sky!

In bocca al lupo! (good luck in italian!)

a.

On speed on profile
5th Mar 2006, 19:50
Well done mate.

A battle worn ppruner, rightfully promoted!

I have always drawn inspiration from your meaningful and indiscrimnate 'slayings' of wanabees who fork out for their type ratings.

Please stay a battler.

Cher Bro.

RVR800
6th Mar 2006, 08:54
:)

Well done Luke

MOTHERGOOSE
6th Mar 2006, 09:59
Well done Luke,

Goose.

Gravox
6th Mar 2006, 21:53
Luke,
Great work, I have seen you posting over the years as I too have struggled along the same career path. I have followed the white line in the middle of the road around Australia, and New Zealand in search of the ever ellusive job.

On the 1st Jan I took off and landed a 737-300 for the first time, and not on flight sim. Your post made me wonder how long it has taken me. I'm not trying to hi jack your thread, but perhaps to support and encourage all those out there.

10 years, 6 months 16 days from my first flight Pa38
3283.6hours of prop time
11 aircraft endorsements
5 GA jobs (some paid,some not)
3 turbine commuter jobs
35,000km of driving around Aussie in search of work, suffering a blown gearbox, stuffed clutch, shattered sunroof, and no radio in a 1983 mitsubishi mirage/colt.
11 towns, 15 house relocations

a year on the dole, (thanks Johnnie)
years of frustration
loss of my sanity and hair.
And a cost that I don't wont to add up.

Oh yeah, half way through all of this I met a Backpacking Dutchy in Darwin (5year ago in 2 days time) and life has been great. She has been on the road with me packing and unpacking boxes. And always supportive. Although now I have a jet job she's trying to tie me down and looking for commitment..Help! :E

was it worth it. ABSOLUTELY, would i do it again.... IN A HEART BEAT!
The friends that I have made, the places I have seen, and the cultures that I've experience are unforgetable :E :E

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL :ok:
It'll happen, stay positive, enjoy where you are and savour the moment.
Soon you'll have to pay good money to fly what you are flying now. Don't rush it, you'll be flying jets for a long time.

Once agian LUKE, CONGRATS!!!

d2k73
6th Mar 2006, 22:15
Congrats luke you clearly deserve it! Always nice to hear success stories but you have clearly worked for it! Well done m8!

Andy_R
6th Mar 2006, 23:03
Fantastic news Luke. Well done :cool: :ok:

Good to know that perseverence pays off................in the end :E

RobertFL
7th Mar 2006, 08:08
Goodluck Luke
I wish you all the best,but on the other hand it shows how the industry goes mad, waiting for a decent job for 10 years is a bit crazy,I wonder what kind of pay you can expect now flying as a FO on Airbus, I hope it is at least 40k a year in british currency. I have impression that people who are responsible for hiring know very well that there are thousands of people waiting and willing to sacrifice almost everything for doing a job, job that should be decently paid,job that needs qualification ,dedication,skills and good deal of learning.I think this industry goes mad,unfortunately only short supply of pilots or huge demand for them will correct this madness. From point of view many older wannabes Luke's example doesnt make anysense, seems like dropping good job for uncertain future and risk of never get hired by decent airline is too big
Goodluck to all

FLCH
8th Mar 2006, 08:48
Congrats Luke, I'm sure you'll love every minute of it......by the way don't forget to use the force.....:)

Doc 4
8th Mar 2006, 10:36
congrats mate........well done, ..........damn maybe is should not have given up......

redsnail
8th Mar 2006, 11:20
Luke,
My humble apologies for not replying sooner. 2 reasons. Been flat out like a lizard drinking at work + having a heck of a time even accessing PPRuNe via the usual ADSL connection.

Well done, your perserverence had paid off. WHile I don't fly a "big" jet there's nothing like applying thrust and blasting off the runway. Esp after working so hard and trying for so long to get there. You'll love it.

I remember my first lot of circuits in Caen in March 05 in the little jet. It was so cool. It made all the pain and hassle of travelling all over Oz, working in clapped out old cessnas. Then flogging around in small turbo props on the other side of the country. Leaving Oz and going through the pain of the JAR ATPL. Battling with snow and ice on the mighty Shed. Picking myself up after the defeat at CTC. I can't remember when I started the CPL training but I got the license in 1991. As usual, straight into a recession... First ATPL in 1998, second one in 2002.... Success fought for and won is so nice. :D :ok:

wingmaaan
9th Mar 2006, 13:30
gooooood job! and best wishes....