PDA

View Full Version : Brough Aerodrome

FullyFlapped
4th Mar 2006, 14:47
Simple question : does anyone know if this is place is still open ? It's on the CAA charts as EGNB, but there's no reference to it in the AIP. Don't have my Pooleys handy, I'm afraid ...

FF :ok:

markflyer6580
4th Mar 2006, 15:50
Its closed I am told by freinds who work there,but kept in very good condition by Bae systems as they own it.
NDB was turned off recently aswell,I fly over it all the time it would be nice to get in there,the rent a cops who guard the place are a bit jumpy about people being nosey though :ok:

justinmg
4th Mar 2006, 16:57
I live in Brough with a house 10 mins walk from the airfield. I really wish it was open, even if it was only for my private use :).
Pooleys marks it for BAE / company use only, but the only real use it get is for the the British Aerospace airshow, alternate years. A shame. As Mark points out, it is kept good order..... for such a big piece of tarmac.

pug
14th Aug 2006, 11:08
I hear they are planning to sell the airfield side for development, probably housing. BAe seem to be very short of money at the moment and i cant see any flight testing at brough by hawks as there is no airfield fire crews anymore nor os the runway long enough i am told. Anyone know more?

markflyer6580
14th Aug 2006, 12:01
You would have to be brave to buy a house on the airfield,it must be all of 3ft amsl,on the edge of the humber with its crazy tides.
The threshold of the grass runway is right on the riverbank:eek:

scooter boy
21st Aug 2006, 21:01
I used to fly the Humberside Police Flying Club C150 out of Brough (10 years ago) - lovely quiet tarmac strip - it was very restricted at that time but 15 years ago there was a thriving aero club there.
Unfortunately BAe decided the tarmac would serve better as a car park :rolleyes: and last time I looked they had erected lights and had cars on the Tarmac runway.
The police aircraft continued to be based there on the grass strip until it was relocated to Mount Airey.
As far as I am aware the runway is U/S.
Please let me know if this is no longer the case as it would be the perfect spot to drop into for visiting rellies in Hull.

SB

justinmg
22nd Aug 2006, 07:22
I used to fly the Humberside Police Flying Club C150 out of Brough (10 years ago) - lovely quiet tarmac strip -

Please let me know if this is no longer the case as it would be the perfect spot to drop into for visiting rellies in Hull.

SB

I am not a member of the police, but I continue to fly that 150.

The runway is not open to the public, although the tarmac is servicable.

Will be stood on the edge to see the reds on the 10th Sept....hopefully.

BritishPPL
22nd Aug 2006, 10:13
Here's an aerial view of the runway's at Brough:
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=53.720746~-0.565924&style=a&lvl=16

The parked cars are visible but they are clear of the runway threshold.

Bravo73
22nd Aug 2006, 13:20
scooterboy,

If you're in your R44, there's an even better site if you're visiting Hull.

It's called Hesslewood Hall and it's about 4nm east from Brough, along the Humber. This local.live link 'should' show you the 'H': clicky (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=53.718857~-0.46016&style=a&lvl=18&sp=aN.syktvpgyvgn6_Hesslewood%2520Hall___).

Contact details for PPR are in the back of Pooley's and, IIRC, there's no landing fee.

HTH, :ok:

B73

scooter boy
22nd Aug 2006, 21:38
Dear B73,
Thanks for advice.

Spookily I used to have a summer job as a barman at the Hesslewood Hall when £2.37 per hour seemed a reasonable wage! (and when Duran Duran were topping the charts) could bring back a few memories - great that there is no landing fee though.

I'll bear it in mind,

All the best,

SB