PDA

View Full Version : Part time flight training how difficult ?

PB4
4th Mar 2006, 10:50
right this is not about is it possible or not, I have found that info in the search but I could not find a lot of feedback from those that studied part-time.
It seems the only option for me to get a loan will be to keep my current job as I don't have anything to secure the loan on, therefore I'm looking for any feedback on students that have completed their CPL/ME and maybe IR part time, how difficult was it ? how long did it took you ? how many hours above minimums at the end ?
thks for your comments

tailwheel76
4th Mar 2006, 15:06
I did the CPL part time over a period of 2-3 months, and it didn't take any longer hours wise. I think the important things were to not leave too long between training flights and have a flexible job and training school. My job and flight school were really flexible, so if the weather looked like it might be poor at the end of the week I'd fly early in the week. They would occasionally teach after hours if I could escape work earlier. Also important not to stagnate between flights, if you can, take training material to read at work just to keep you in the right frame of mind.

I took unpaid leave for the ME/IR as I figured this would need more commitment, but in hindsight I could probably have done some of this part time, but not as much as the CPL.

Be aware though, if you are not careful I know of people whos work commitments have taken priority and getting the licence and ratings has dragged on for too long, they then start spending more money to refresh themselves.

GFYA
4th Mar 2006, 16:02
From my perspective as a commercial instructor who has conducted part time courses, I would agree with all that tailwheel76 has said. The only words I would offer in addition to those already stated are that you need to evaluate what sort of student you are.

What I mean by this is are you a student who needs, or is likely to need, 'nursing' through everything carefully and slowly or are you able to just absorb information and exercises swiftly and reproduce the results with a high success rate and a good degree of accuracy? The closer you are to the former the less likely the part time commercial course is going to work for you. Or at the very least, the more hours (and therefore £££s) you'll be looking at conducting to acheive the required standard.

I've experienced part time students who ranged from the fabulous, totally dedicated who achieve a first time pass in minimum hours to the ones that tailwheel76 has touched upon who struggle to get out of work commitments, miss flying details for weeks on end and then come back to find that their flying's not what it was. This inevitably leads to frustration and an expensive, demoralising flight that then gets dwelled upon for another week or so.

My advice is this. If you have to conduct your course part time, make it a regular pattern of training so you always know when to take your 'office head' off and put your 'flying head' on. Avoid the 'as and when' training, these irregular patterns work less well in my opinion.

GFYA

PB4
5th Mar 2006, 08:55
hi Guys, thanks for the very interresting replies.
Tailwheel76, were you working on a full time job ? how often a week did you went to the flight school (roughtly)?
Considering CPL is 25Hrs, doing 1Hr per day alowing for bad weather and other no-go events (but flying on saturdays if possible) I thought it could be done in about one and a half month, am I too optimistic ?
My job is going to be reasonably flexible we have a week to week planing, concerning my capabilities I think I can do it part time, I already done PPL part time with minimum hours though it was during studies in the states so a bit different.

tailwheel76
6th Mar 2006, 12:24
It took a month for the CPL part time, not 2 to 3, that was for the whole CPL/ME/IR, just double checked my log book! Looking at it theres no real pattern, daily flight totals ranging from an hour to about 3 hours. The maximum I didnt fly was 9 days which was probably a combination of weather and available slots (but then's a good time to utilise the sim), but then one week I flew 5/7 days. Allowing a month and a half should be plenty.

They let me drop to 30 hours a week at work (essentially 4 day week) but at my discretion. Days I knew I wouldn't fly I'd go in early, have minimum lunch and leave late to make up hours, quite often 10 hour days.

planeeasy7
6th Mar 2006, 13:26
I'm doing ATPL distance learning with CATS i did my exams last month after about four months at home learning.
Had to do a weeks brush up at the school which i found very useful fixed some of the problems i was having!
I was reluctant to do home study and almost went in-house school but i've coped really well!!
I do 2/3 hours a night, got like some cd that tells me what to learn and what i need!

As for getting loans and such i wouldnt know where to get get finance for pilots, but i can say £1925 for the DL that i paid was half the price i would of paid inhouse and so far ive passed all exams with little effort!!!!

PlaneEasy7

PB4
6th Mar 2006, 13:43
thks TailWheel76 makes sense now :)
Planeeasy7 not sure what you're after ? I am doing ATPLs at the moment with Bristol doing 3Hr a days works fine for me :ok: