PDA

View Full Version : Australia confirms C-17 purchase

Pass-A-Frozo
3rd Mar 2006, 23:09
NEW HEAVY AIRLIFT CAPABILITY FOR

THE ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE

I am pleased to announce that the Australian Government will acquire up to four new Boeing C-17 Globemaster III aircraft and associated equipment to provide the Australian Defence Force (ADF) with a heavy airlift capability.

The Government has selected the C-17 by for its ability to meet the needs of the ADF over the next 30 years.

This is the only aircraft currently in production which has a proven capability to meet ADF operational commitments, in Australia, the region and globally. The C-17 has four times the carrying capacity of the RAAF C-130 Hercules.

The C-17 aircraft has the load capacity and range that will allow the ADF to rapidly deploy troops, combat vehicles, heavy equipment and helicopters. This includes the M1A1 Abrams Tank, as well as Black Hawk, Sea Hawk, and Chinook helicopters. Each C-17 has the capacity to transport five Bushmaster Infantry Vehicles, or three Tiger helicopters.

The fleet of up to four aircraft will give Australia a new Responsive Global AirLift (RGA) capability, significantly enhancing the ADF’s ability to support national and international operations, and major disaster rescue and relief efforts.

As the C-17 aircraft is currently in production, it is possible for the first aircraft to be delivered later this year with the balance of the fleet to be delivered by mid 2008. This will give the ADF the Responsive Global Airlift operating capability it needs within a short time-frame.

Acquisition of the C-17 will also provide significant opportunity for our aerospace industry with Boeing proposing an Australian Industry Capability program valued at $345m over the life of the aircraft.

I had the pleasure of inspecting a United States Air Force C-17 today with my colleague, the Member for Macquarie, Mr Kerry Bartlett, at Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base Richmond.

This investment of up to $2 billion is in addition to the Howard Government’s commitment of $28.5 billion in increased spending on defence capability over the 10-year period to 2010, building on the 2000 White Paper to increase Defence funding by three per cent annually, in real terms, until 2010/11.

brit bus driver
3rd Mar 2006, 23:56
Are they buying them, in the same way as they're buying their A330s (and Wedgetails?). What a novel concept.......:}

MarkD
5th Mar 2006, 23:43
Can whoever runs Australia's procurement please ask for an exchange to Ottawa?

petitfromage
6th Mar 2006, 03:11
Wee Johnny Howard may indeed be a hobbit like, spekky, snorter of yank bum but you cannie deny that he's not been afraid to open the cheque book when required.

As the C17 production line was due to close in December 2006 (according to FI) Im sure the Oorstrayans are getting a very good deal too?

karrank
6th Mar 2006, 05:32
Johnny Howard may indeed be a hobbit like, spekky, snorter of yank bum The slogan was (a long time ago) INCENTIVATION, should now be SEPTIFICATION...:{

antipodean alligator
6th Mar 2006, 06:38
Mark D -

For all of the Good snaps such as this we still suffer plenty of bolleaux decisions such as our committment to the F-35 irrespective of how little control we will get over it once in service.

The grass always looks greener mate but often it is just some sort of long distance light refraction phenomenon that makes **** brown look emerald from afar!

GipsyMagpie
6th Mar 2006, 06:40
I think the Aussies have jsut changed Defence Minister and this could be a last minute purchase by the outgoing one. Apparently he was very open with the chequebook. I've met the new one and he seems a little bit more reserved.

Pass-A-Frozo
6th Mar 2006, 10:43
I seriously doubt it's a case of a minister deciding alone we should have something. I know the man in charge of the project, and he isn't a yes man and he's a very capable bloke. If that aircraft won the prefered tender I've no doubt it was the best aircraft for the job.

The brits certainly have found it to be a useful aircraft.

MarkD
6th Mar 2006, 15:07
antipodean

point taken. Nevertheless, if you're unhappy with the 35s I bet the CF will happily swap them for some, er, gently used CF-18s :D :D

Roland Pulfrew
6th Mar 2006, 19:18

Or perhaps apply for the job of Min DP in London? The Aussies are BUYING 4 C17s and we lease our 4! The Aussies BUY A330 tankers and we continue with our FSTA farce. :{

Any jobs going downunda?

Runaway Gun
6th Mar 2006, 21:12
Jobs goin' Down Unda? Fer forrinners? Streewth, don't come on a ship mate. ;)

waywardventures
6th Mar 2006, 21:44
The C-17 deal is nothing. The next thing that is going to happen is Aus and Canada are going to be the next to purchase the F/A-18 E/F. Like the C-17 there is no one else who can afford these pieces of equipment, and no one else who wants it.

Here is how it works:

As the JSF continues to disappoint (time and weight), you can bet there will be a need in the USN to replace the airplanes that have 6-7000 hours each (F/A-18 C/D) and way too many arrested landing. As well, the USMC will not cave on the no super hornets. The rub is that not a single red cent will come out of the JSF program for new Super Hornets. The only way the Navy will get to tomorrow, is to replace thier wrecked airplanes to get to the full IOC of the JSF. To do this they are going to come knocking for the upgraded Canadian and AUSSIE F-18 A's. They (USN and Boeing) are going to come with 60-80 Super Hornets at about a 45 Million price tag in exchange for the beaters.

This is all going to start when the Indian Air Force's feighnt to purshase the Super Hornet falls flat. Within months you will see the USN and Boeing come knocking in Ottawa and Brisbane (I think..) where they will propose an "Interim" measure to get those air forces to the JSF arrival, and that will make everyone happy (read: Keep the St Louis line open for a while longer).

Or not.:hmm:

"If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster." The Rookee

NURSE
8th Mar 2006, 02:14
Thought RAF were ment to be getting another C17 and taking the airframes over post lease?

BEagle
8th Mar 2006, 06:03
Ah, but Roly, surely you remember that the Aussies did have a (rather delightful) observer working with the civil serpents at the Brizzle Waterworld?

No doubt her report when she got home was instrumental in the Aussies deciding against the utter nonsense of PFI?

They've decided to buy C-17 and A-330 MRTT whilst the UK MoD, as you say, still hasn't assembled its excreta regarding the FSTA program. For which AirTanker were identified as the preferred bidder over a year ago now....

Can't help but wonder how many mercenaries, sorry, 'Sponsored Reservists' they think they'll be able to recruit, with the airlines snapping up any ME pilot who leaves and applies to them. So, long haul ba or Virgin? Or Brize-MPA and Brize-Basra.....:rolleyes:

Best be quick with ordering those A330s - the A300/310 production line will soon closs and the availability of used A310-300s able to be converted to A310MRTTs is becoming a seller's market!

John Eacott
8th Mar 2006, 09:05

Only if you take the 30+ year old "new buy" Seasprites at the same time :rolleyes: If they're working by then, of course......:p

antipodean alligator
8th Mar 2006, 10:47
Like your thought process wayward.

It would seem that a fully HUGgernauted F/A-18A would almost be as capable as a "super" (read slightly improved) Hornet.

Whilst most of us colonials dream of F-15E, the F model Hornet would certainly be acceptable.....Unfortunately, I think we can put the NACC (New Air Combat Capability) project firmly on the Seasprite side of the Defence procurement floor staring in awe at the short notice, therefore blessed with having avoided 10 years of procurement polishing, C-17 project!!